Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another VERY Successful OC Event in Los Angeles

Another VERY Successful OC Event in Los Angeles

We had about 20 of us get together for dinner tonight at Domenick's Pizza in Rancho PV. The owner is very pro-2A and was delightful!

When we arrived we were greeted by 3-4 brady bunch protesters with signs saying "I don't want guns with my pizza". We invited them to join us for dinner but they opted to stay out in the cold, and boy was it cold (for socal standards).

They also brought news media, so watch the 11pm news tonight for open carry!

Pics are up: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...22802434426757

If the brady bunch were so concerned for their safety why were no police called and no e-checks performed??

I posted a story about the evening: http://www.southbayopencarry.org/

KCAL 9 Coverage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQWf8qWESc

CBS news coverage of last night: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/video...&partnerclipid

RVP News coverage: http://www.pvnews.com/articles/2010/...news/news1.txt

Examiner Charles Nichols: http://www.examiner.com/la-in-los-an...-confrontation
    Last edited by hgreen; 11-20-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Smile

Great job hgreen!

ABC 7 News, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    how did the bradys know about it ? I assume they just monitor this site and your site ?
    We posted on their facebook page.

I encourage them to come to our future events, it brings us great publicity and makes them look crazy.

Who would stand out in the cold for hours when there is perfectly good hot pizza and a warm restaurant just a door away??

If they were smart enough to actually pro-actively monitor our sites they would have been out our earlier much more controversial events like the Manhattan Beach Fair...
    Last edited by hgreen; 11-19-2010 at 01:49 AM.

Great job Harley all SBOC Patriots!!!

Good job!

I saw the channel 7 news report at 11pm. It was short , mostly neutral but more attention to the Brady' bunch. OC'ing in a low key community like Palos Verdes, is not the same as OC'ing in LAPD occupied land. Somehow I think the nice experience in P.V. would have had a more military style police response if it was held in within the LA city limits if past history shows anything. I am glad you guys had a nice pizza meal, and extra points to the supporting restaurant business owner.
    Last edited by oc4ever; 11-19-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oc4ever View Post
    I saw the channel 7 news report at 11pm. It was short , mostly neutral but more attention to the Brady' bunch. OC'ing in a low key community like Palos Verdes, is not the same as OC'ing in LAPD occupied land. Somehow I think the nice experience in P.V. would have had a more military style police response if it was held in within the LA city limits if past history shows anything. I am glad you guys had a nice pizza meal, and extra points to the supporting restaurant business owner.
    We have personal meetings with LAPD brass in the workings right now, so stay tuned on that note.

[QUOTE=hgreen;1404342]
    I encourage them to come to our future events, it brings us great publicity and makes them look crazy.
    QUOTE]
    MAKE them look crazy?? LOL That's like spitting on a fish, Harley!
    OMG I'm still bulging with calzone. Sweet, delicious calzone....

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Nice event. I'm calling FUD on the KCAL9 reporter's last statement about not open carrying near schools, public buildings or airports! The only restriction is the 1000' victim disarmament zone around schools, not public buildings or airports.
    Last edited by coolusername2007; 11-20-2010 at 01:58 AM.

Also FUD on her "wild west" comment. She watched too many episodes of Gunsmoke.
    Thats the show where the Marshal hung out in a saloon/whorehouse with the madam, guzzling beer, and there was a quick draw gunfight in every episode.
    Chester never did learn how to make coffee.
    Last edited by Gundude; 11-20-2010 at 02:25 AM.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

I didn't realize we were "squaring off" against those Bradys. It's always interesting to watch how reporters spin things when you've seen something first hand, and then watch it on the news later.

Like many news reporters, she was attractive until she opened her mouth.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Nice work guys. Be sure to always try to shake the Brady people's hands when you show up. If they refuse and the media runs that video then they'll look worse. I imagine somebody coming out with slices of pizza on paper plates would also make the open carriers look very cool. Hearts and minds people, hearts and minds.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe416 View Post
    Nice work guys. Be sure to always try to shake the Brady people's hands when you show up. If they refuse and the media runs that video then they'll look worse. I imagine somebody coming out with slices of pizza on paper plates would also make the open carriers look very cool. Hearts and minds people, hearts and minds.
    LOL you think the media would cover anything to make the brady's look bad???

We spoke to the reporters and camera crew for almost an hour between all of us and they air a 20 second sound bite of the most mundane portion of the entire interview.

The best thing with the media is to NOT do or say anything negative.
    Last edited by hgreen; 11-20-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hunt View Post
    I didn't realize we were "squaring off" against those Bradys. It's always interesting to watch how reporters spin things when you've seen something first hand, and then watch it on the news later.

Like many news reporters, she was attractive until she opened her mouth.
    The more sensational adjectives they use, the more the ratings go up.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Agreed. Provided you are not instigating a shouting match or easily provoked in confrontation, showing love and compassion could deflate their sense of righteous indignation in their protest.

Also...it's very difficult to conceal the dispairty of participation in all the news coverage. 20 or more supporters of open carry v. 3 Brady moms? What would be even more devastating than a bunch of men carrying, would be 3 Mommies carrying to protect their young, a single physically disabled carrier, or any number of minority proponents.

While Mr Green was articulate and was prepared to provide a cogent sound bite for the media, he is a fit caucasian middle aged male... someone who that is difficult to argue (in the court of public opinion) has an immediate need for self-defense.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    Agreed. Provided you are not instigating a shouting match or easily provoked in confrontation, showing love and compassion could deflate their sense of righteous indignation in their protest.

Also...it's very difficult to conceal the dispairty of participation in all the news coverage. 20 or more supporters of open carry v. 3 Brady moms? What would be even more devastating than a bunch of men carrying, would be 3 Mommies carrying to protect their young, a single physically disabled carrier, or any number of minority proponents.

While Mr Green was articulate and was prepared to provide a cogent sound bite for the media, he is a fit caucasian middle aged male... someone who that is difficult to argue (in the court of public opinion) has an immediate need for self-defense.
    Middle aged?!?
    When did 25 count as middle aged?

Quote Originally Posted by hgreen View Post
    Middle aged?!?
    Uhm, the 1800's. If you were an unmarried female, you'd be an old maid.

Sorry- I took you for about 30- and others might make the same mistake seeing you on the news.

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.shop42a.com

Middle aged?!?
    Jeez Harley, don't get your Depends in a wad.

Hey I'm 25 but I feel like an old man.

LOL you think the media would cover anything to make the brady's look bad???
    I think a news reporter might find that their story is so much more interesting if gun owners are reaching out to protesters. If you can do something and make their story noteworthy to their boss or to have viewers chime in about how fascinating it was to see open carriers buying pizza for anti-gun people, then they very well may run that video.

An additional consideration is that if Brady protesters stop thinking that open carriers are evil people, then maybe they'll stop showing up. Maybe they'll stop being interested in the Brady campaign. Maybe they will have a conversation amongst each other about how nice you guys are and then come inside to talk to you. Well...maybe one of the first two at least?

One thing is for sure though, if you don't extend a friendly hand to the protesters then the news reporters won't be able to run video of it.

I think a news reporter might find that their story is so much more interesting if gun owners are reaching out to protesters. If you can do something and make their story noteworthy to their boss or to have viewers chime in about how fascinating it was to see open carriers buying pizza for anti-gun people, then they very well may run that video.

An additional consideration is that if Brady protesters stop thinking that open carriers are evil people, then maybe they'll stop showing up. Maybe they'll stop being interested in the Brady campaign. Maybe they will have a conversation amongst each other about how nice you guys are and then come inside to talk to you. Well...maybe one of the first two at least?

One thing is for sure though, if you don't extend a friendly hand to the protesters then the news reporters won't be able to run video of it.
    These are all great ideas. Do you have any experience personally dealing with these people?

Based on our experience here, they were not at all receptive to talking to us or coming into sit down and share a pizza.

It'd be great if these were reasonable people who would be willing to sit down and chat...

These are all great ideas. Do you have any experience personally dealing with these people?

Based on our experience here, they were not at all receptive to talking to us or coming into sit down and share a pizza.

It'd be great if these were reasonable people who would be willing to sit down and chat...
    I havent had the pleasure of dealing with anti-gunners of this stripe. I can however, imagine walking up to them without a holstered firearm and approaching them to express my gratitude for their willingness to engage in a display of first amendment expression, shake their hands while thanking them for standing out in the cold- just before I go inside and enjoy the hot food and comaraderie of brothers and sisters in arms.

www.shop42a.com

Actually yeah, I sat down with Karen Arntzen (CA Chapter Services & Advocacy Coordinator) and Elly Faden (Solano County leader) at the Solano County Brady meetup back in March and said I was interested in preventing gun violence. It was interesting to say the least. They invited me to come to Sacramento and other Brady events and Karen asked me if I'd forward Brady Campaign letters that she wrote through to my local newspapers. I said I wouldn't really feel comfortable passing something off as my own work. Karen let me listen to some threatening voicemail she had received from some pro-gun rights people, she paid for my tea and bid me a good day. I didn't want to stay too long because I was going to the shooting range that day, my firearms were in my car, and it was out of sight (and it was in Vallejo!). They were both decent people, and I'm sure we would have been able to have some reasonable conversation as long as firearms weren't being discussed.

Funny thing is though that I never lied to them -- I am interested in reducing violence in general. Also amusing is that they probably think I was "a nice young man" or something, but I had guns and ammo in my truck and I'm a huge open carry proponent.

I wouldn't expect them to give you a hug and talk to you if you were to come out with a plate of pizza in each hand. They'll probably turn you away. But lets say you run into those same three protesters time and time again and you are always coming out with food or something. At the very least they will realize that open carriers aren't evil people, maybe we're just misguided or something. Then when we've become merely misguided, and perhaps at that time they'll start to take the offering of food and start to have a conversation.

RPV/San Pedro

Quote Originally Posted by oc4ever View Post
    Open carry at the pizza house actually took place in what most locals consider San Pedro. There is a largely undefined wavy line running along western ave. SP then RPV, The two Law enforcement agencies don't even really
    know. LAPD on one side and LASO on the other. This area is in fact part of an LAPD beat. They did respond but only with a discreet drive through in an unmarked unit. Thanks to Hgreen, SBOC members, Domenicks Pizza house and
    of course The Brady Campaign, sorry about the weather.

+100.

I think you guys and gals who can meet up in groups should be taking turns while your eating to go outside and ask the Brady protestors if they would like some coffee, hot chocolate, a slice of pizza, whatever. They should never be allowed to talk to the media by themselves. Be there showing respect for their demonstrations, taking care of their discomfort by offering eats/drinks, and telling them about why you carry. Don't be rude or interrupt the person talking to the media.

Be courteous and smile.
    Last edited by CenTex; 11-24-2010 at 01:39 AM.
    The words of a tyrant: “I never entertain opposing opinions. I am always right.”

Socialism is just another dirty word for totalitarianism.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." -Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast