• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Real life superheroes patrolling our streets

Aaron1124

"Vigilante justice has come to Seattle, and the caped crusaders drive a Kia.

Seattle police say a group of self-described superheroes have been patrolling the streets at night trying to save people from crime. They calls themselves the Rain City Superhero Movement and say they're part of a nationwide movement of real-life crime fighters."

Excerpt ... See more at http://www.seattlepi.com/local/430430_super19.html

Beretta92FSLady

Please don't let this be true LMAO! I really hope NONE of my daughters date a "super hero," especially one that apparently either can't drive or whatever LOL. That goes for my son, I hope to mold him into a good man that does good deeds, but without the tights lol

Last edited:

Aaron1124

If you're going to be a superhero, then at LEAST drive your own self around! LOL!

The movie Kick Ass really touched on the whole comic book culture and those guys had a pretty good debate on the pro's and cons of trying to be a superhero when you are really just a dude in a costume.

Ultimately, it was just standing up and saying enough. That's what it seems to be about.

I'm curious how this will all play out.

Will we get someone who's so good they get famous?

Last edited:

amzbrady

Kudo's to them. LEO says they want good witness's. So they want people to stand there and watch a crime happen, and those who suvive can go to court and stand trial against he accused. :banghead: Typical.

I do hope they are rough and tumble tough ex-marine cage fighters or something, not just nerds that will get their arses kicked and have all the LEO's saying see this is why the average citizen needs to stay out of it.

I personally would love to see a group dress up and do the American Justice League. Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonderwoman, and the Wonder Twins. Now that would be awesome.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Kudo's to them. LEO says they want good witness's. So they want people to stand there and watch a crime happen, and those who suvive can go to court and stand trial against he accused. :banghead: Typical.

I do hope they are rough and tumble tough ex-marine cage fighters or something, not just nerds that will get their arses kicked and have all the LEO's saying see this is why the average citizen needs to stay out of it.

I personally would love to see a group dress up and do the American Justice League. Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonderwoman, and the Wonder Twins. Now that would be awesome.

Lets not leave out Yosemite Sam Now!
yosemite_sam-logo-552BB0076C-seeklogo.com.gif

Aaron1124

Dig the "uniform". Guy's also thinking ahead by wearing all that body armor, including the ballistic cup. Wonder how big a round IT would stop.

Part of the article does mention that they wear body armor. One of them was actually shot in Tacoma last year, and was saved by his armor.

Metalhead47

Sounds like they found a good (of somewhat nerdy) middle ground here. Vigilantism is hunting down & lynching the guy you heard knocked over the minimart. Sheepleism, er, being a "good witness," is something like, oh I dunno, just standing there after a thug cold-cockes an elderly disabled guy getting off a bus...:banghead:

But please, do something about the kia. A cheap SUV from a junkyard and a few cans of black spaypaint would do wonders.

Aaron1124

Sounds like they found a good (of somewhat nerdy) middle ground here. Vigilantism is hunting down & lynching the guy you heard knocked over the minimart. Sheepleism, er, being a "good witness," is something like, oh I dunno, just standing there after a thug cold-cockes an elderly disabled guy getting off a bus...:banghead:

But please, do something about the kia. A cheap SUV from a junkyard and a few cans of black spaypaint would do wonders.

I agree that it's a good middle ground. Seeing how you described your opinion of vigilantism as an individual or group of individuals hunting down and lynching the guy that they *heard* knocked over the minimart, what about an individual or group of individual who hunt down and lynch a person they KNOW has committed a horrible offense, such as a rape or murder? Knowing = visibly witnessed it happen.

Metalhead47

I agree that it's a good middle ground. Seeing how you described your opinion of vigilantism as an individual or group of individuals hunting down and lynching the guy that they *heard* knocked over the minimart, what about an individual or group of individual who hunt down and lynch a person they KNOW has committed a horrible offense, such as a rape or murder? Knowing = visibly witnessed it happen.

That's still vigilantism. It's revenge, pure & simple. And of course, NOT self defense.

That's there the Justice system is supposed to come in. :rolleyes: Based testimony of the witnesses you mentioned, the police hunt down & arrest the suspect, he gets his day in court to face his accusers, and must be proven guilty by a preponderance of evidence including said testimony, convicted by a jury of his peers, and sentenced to a lawful (that is, described in law) punishment by an impartial judge. Even tho we all know it DOESN'T always work like that, that's how it's supposed to. That's the difference between justice and revenge. Revenge is personal. Vigilantism is revenge. Self defense is NOT revenge.

"Hunting down" the guy implies he was not detained at the scene & time. Now if they came across him in the act and lynch him, that grays the issue slightly, maybe into justifiable homicide, but still... If they have him detained enough to lynch him, they have him detained enough to turn over to law enforcement.