Thread: CCW question

CCW question

In April of 2009 I got my WA resident CCW License while I was stationed in WA. In July 2009 I was Honorably discharged and returned to my home state of California.

My questions are:

Is my license still valid since I am no longer a Washington resident?

Can it simply be transferred over to a non resident license?

What other issues do you anticipate me running into?

Thanks for the help.

Good question. I'd call WA DOL's firearm division and ask them instead of an internet board. There are some very smart people here, but that is an easy question that you definately need the correct answer to.
    Last edited by Jayd1981; 11-19-2010 at 07:45 AM.

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar
    It is my understanding that Washington State does not issue "Resident" and "Non-Resident" licenses. The only difference is that it can take longer to approve a permit for a person that does not live in the state (Non-Resident).

We are not required to notify the DOL when we have a change of address. I beleive your CPL is still valid just as if you were still a resident.

That said, it's probably a good idea to ask the DOL, although even then I'm not sure I would totally trust any answer they give you over the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Try to use it in CA and they will laugh you all the way to jail.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconceal.html
    Well ya I knew that lol.

The map at USA Carry is a good one also.
    Last edited by Lucky_Dog; 11-20-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: clarity
    They're over there with their guns!

Since you are no longer a resident of Washington, your CPL is NOT valid in Michigan & Florida.

What states accept the Washington CPL?
    AK, AR, AZ, *FL, ID, IN, KY, LA, *MI, MS, MT, MO, NC, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT
    * must be a resident of the state of issue

Thanks very much for the help everyone. I'm going to send an email to DOL tonight to clarify and will post their response.

Man I miss Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by chewy352 View Post

Man I miss Washington.
    The door is still open... Just hope on I-5 and head north....

Yep one day. But for now we will not pull my stepson away from his dad. So we're stuck in So. Cal.

But hey I'm having fun down here. This is one of our prominate open carriers down here.

Yep one day. But for now we will not pull my stepson away from his dad. So we're stuck in So. Cal.

But hey I'm having fun down here. This is one of our prominate open carriers down here.
    Ok, I very much appreciate your reasons for not moving back. We'll leave a light on for you.

Yep one day. Probably not until he can fly on his own (not that I want him getting fondled by TSA though).

So here is the email I sent to DOJ. I think I covered it all. I will post the reply for everyone’s benefit when I get it.

To Whom It May Concern:

I received my Resident Concealed Pistol License in April of 2009 while I was stationed in WA. In July of 2009 I was Honorably discharged from the Navy and returned to my home state of California. I have a couple questions regarding my CPL.

1.) Is my CPL still valid in Washington?

2.) Is my CPL still valid in all states that Washington shares reciprocity with? If not, which is it still valid with?

3.) Do I need to make any changes or file any additional paperwork with Washington DOL due to my no longer being a Washington resident?

4.) Can I renew from out of state or do I have to physically come up to Washington to renew? If I have do come up can I go to any issuing authority?

5.) Are there any other issues that I need to be concerned with?

Thank you very much for your time.

Respectfully,

Michael

With all due respect sir I do not take peoples interpretation of laws on internet forums as authority. I use it as guidance along with my understanding after reading the laws myself. I also find it helpful to solicit opinions from those that administer the laws day in and day out. Asking questions and getting responses in writing is not a bad thing.

With all due respect sir I do not take peoples interpretation of laws on internet forums as authority. I use it as guidance along with my understanding after reading the laws myself. I also find it helpful to solicit opinions from those that administer the laws day in and day out. Asking questions and getting responses in writing is not a bad thing.
    Actually you can be pretty sure that people in the DOL do not administer these laws ever. They probably know little to nothing about the actual laws. It is likely that few of them own or carry firearms. You are definitely getting more accurate knowledge by reading the RCWs that were posted above.

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
    You might be surprised at how often those "opinions" of the state and local employees answering your questions are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I apologize if I was a bit harsh and out of line. My main point was the second half above. Official "opinions" are just that - opinions, and should not be relied upon as gospel and should be compared to what the actual statutes and administrative codes say.
    No problem I've been chewed out much worse by Navy LTs before.

The only reason I asked them the same questions is to compare my interpretation of the laws, the answers I got here, and what they have to say.

Here is the response from DOL. Their answers are in red.

To Whom It May Concern:

I received my Resident Concealed Pistol License in April of 2009 while I was stationed in WA. In July of 2009 I was Honorably discharged from the Navy and returned to my home state of California. I have a couple questions regarding my CPL.

1.) Is my CPL still valid in Washington? YES

2.) Is my CPL still valid in all states that Washington shares reciprocity with? If not, which is it still valid with? YES

3.) Do I need to make any changes or file any additional paperwork with Washington DOL due to my no longer being a Washington resident? When and if you renew your CPL, you can get a non-resident CPL. You will have to reapply in person.

4.) Can I renew from out of state or do I have to physically come up to Washington to renew? If I have do come up can I go to any issuing authority? YES. But you have to appear in person at any law enforcement agency.

5.) Are there any other issues that I need to be concerned with? CA does not have any reciprocal agreement with WA, so obviously your WA permit is no longer valid in CA. WA, it still is good until expiration, whenever you are in WA.`

Thank you very much for your time.

Respectfully,

Michael

Bruce W. Tanaka
    Firearms Unit Program Manager
    Dept. of Licensing
    Business and Professions Division
    360-664-6616
    firearms@dol.wa.gov
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, USA
    I wouldn't trust a WA agency to opine on the validity of a WA CPL in other states. I'm surprised they answered in the affirmative on that one. They probably should have punted on that one. They won't even guarantee which states your WA CPL is good for when you apply for it as a WA resident.

The only reason I asked them the same questions is to compare my interpretation of the laws, the answers I got here, and what they have to say.
    Just comparing responses.

For reciprocity I will of course check with any state I choose to visit.

I just told the wife last night that our 2014 vacation will be in Washington. She gave me the evil eye and said we better go sooner than that cause she has family in Anacortes. So now an even bigger issue. Should I enjoy being able to LOC or CCing. Maybe a bit of both will do lol.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.