• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 29 and the 10mm

The Don

Anyone have any experience with 10mm, specifically with the Glock 29?

Your experiences?

Recommendations for or against?

Other 10mm handguns to consider?

Thanks in advance.

TheGunMan

10MM Glocks

I have a G29 and a G20. Both are great. Only bad thing with 10mm is the choise of ammo avaliable. I get mine from Double Tap and it is great ammo. I believe a better choise for self defence is the 45acp (G21). Ammo is available anyware in the world.
Good luck and happy shooting. Remember a warm Glock is a happy Glock.

The Don

I have a G29 and a G20. Both are great. Only bad thing with 10mm is the choise of ammo avaliable. I get mine from Double Tap and it is great ammo. I believe a better choise for self defence is the 45acp (G21). Ammo is available anyware in the world.
Good luck and happy shooting. Remember a warm Glock is a happy Glock.

thanks.

I have a .45 for self defense already, this is more for fun. thanks for the ammo advice, as well.

Flintlock

Anyone have any experience with 10mm, specifically with the Glock 29?

Your experiences?

Recommendations for or against?

Other 10mm handguns to consider?

Thanks in advance.

I have had positive experiences with the Glock 20 and it has never failed me. I mostly use it in the woods and mountains while hiking/backpacking for animal defense in Alaska. The type of handgun completely depends on your price range. You could buy a very dependable firearm in a Glock or a Witness in 10mm that run around $600, new. Or you could go high-end and spend $2500 on a Wilson Combat 1911. There are several manufacturers, makes, and models and it totally depends on the platform that you prefer.

I chose the Glock because I knew that I would be busting brush, sweating on it, and exposing the firearm to severe weather. It still looks new after several years.

As for the cartridge itself, it is awesome. I personally use Double Tap ammunition and I enjoy the feel and power of the 10mm.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I've been wanting a 10mm since I learned what guns are.

My aversion to Glock has nearly been overcome. And the only reason I don't own a 10mm. I was 'this close' to buying one just a few days ago. I know my willpower won't last much longer. I already have several hundred rounds of brass, projectiles, powder, primers.....

After looking at the 10mm options out there, I am forced to admit that the Glock is by far the best option unless you're a millionaire. and even then, the pricier alternatives aren't really better, just "hey, look how much money I have to waste" kind of things....

If you just buy ammo, it's probably not the gun for you. The ammo price will make you realize just how expensive the expensive guns aren't by comparison. For re-loaders, it's win on a stick.

Buy the glock 10mm, I know I will and I'm a 1911 purist...

Mr Birdman

Double tap ammo

my usual carry gun is a Glock29sf I pack nossler JHP 180 gr ,from double tap .

Use the double tap 230gr equalizer. It has two projectiles 135gr hollow point and a 95 gr round ball at about 1,000fps more knockdown power than a 40 and will not over penetrate, and manageable recoil for fast follow up shots. I have a glock 20 with a lone wolf 6 1/2 in barrel, a Dan Wesson 1911 and a S@W 610 revolver and a 14in barrel for my Encore. In the 14 in Encore with my hand loads I can get some wicked performance out of the 10mm. 200 gr at 1500 fps.

Dirk platinum

Use the double tap 230gr equalizer. It has two projectiles 135gr hollow point and a 95 gr round ball at about 1,000fps more knockdown power than a 40 and will not over penetrate, and manageable recoil for fast follow up shots. I have a glock 20 with a lone wolf 6 1/2 in barrel, a Dan Wesson 1911 and a S@W 610 revolver and a 14in barrel for my Encore. In the 14 in Encore with my hand loads I can get some wicked performance out of the 10mm. 200 gr at 1500 fps.

I was thinking those would be a self defense disaster prone to over penetrate. if im wrong I would love to put those sukers in her.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
From what I've read, and would appreciate confirmation, many 10mm rounds are just .40 loads in a bigger case. One has to seek out or construct loads that represent the original 10mm power.