• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Old school cool

Hammer

DSCN2524.jpg

This is a 1903 Colt pocket pistol. I came by it when my FIL gave it to my wife. It seemed to make a good piece for her, as it is small, easy to conceal (she won't be OCing- leaves that to me) and of low recoil. It is .32 Auto caliber.
She was all excited to have one "her size" to carry. She's been wanting me to show her (again) how to use a home defense arm. Try as I might, she isn't interested in the 870. That's my choice in the house.
Anyway, thought you might like to see an old school auto. This one has some provenance attached, which I'm not going into here, but makes for an interesting story, anyway.
What slays me about this is that when these were made, they were deemed adequate for police use, and were apparently popular in Europe.
To me it is a pipsqueak of a cartridge, and one of which Dad used to say
"If'n ya git one o' them little-bitty belly guns, make sure to file the front sight off"
To which I would ask, why, do they shoot low?
And he would answer, "No, so if ya shoot somebody with that and pi$$ them off, it won't hurt so bad when they shove it where the sun don't shine"
It's prolly enough gun to dissuade the fearful, but not enough for me to bet my life on....

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
.32 auto

One of my trusted and always present & with me firearms is my .32auto Keltec.

What I tell people who think the caliber is small.....

the .32 auto started The Great War (WWI) (.32 Browning Automatic Pistol)

If it is big enough to put the whole world at war, it is big enough to help me.

Hammer

Well, the world has gone to war over a good deal less than a .32 Auto ctg
Hell, there are wars started all the time with nothing more than a few words.
I keep plenty of those on hand, but rarely do they get me out of trouble. More often into it.
But if yer happy with a .32, more power to ya.
I have a deep BUG in .22LR
If it's all ya got, it's what ya got.
File the front sight off! :)

amlevin

That pistol looks like it's in pretty decent condition. If the inside is in good condition I'd consider sending it to a good 'smith to have it re-finished. A good polish and re-blue would make it a fine looking pistol.

Don't worry about the .32 cal. It'll get the job done. Far better than a stern look or harsh words.

sudden valley gunner

One of my trusted and always present & with me firearms is my .32auto Keltec.

What I tell people who think the caliber is small.....

the .32 auto started The Great War (WWI) (.32 Browning Automatic Pistol)

Interesting, it was a .32 that shot the Duke? Never knew that.

Hammer

Don't worry about the .32 cal. It'll get the job done. Far better than a stern look or harsh words.

I've seen enough terminal ballistics to know better than to trust my life to a .32 Auto.
And it pales by comparison to a .45 Colt in a Ruger loading, or a 10MM and XTPs, which are some other choices available to me.
No, it's just a curio to me- but one rarely seen, I think, thus why I brought it up.

MrGray

All that, and your wife gets the carry the handgun Philip Marlowe carried.

heresolong

That pistol looks like it's in pretty decent condition. If the inside is in good condition I'd consider sending it to a good 'smith to have it re-finished. A good polish and re-blue would make it a fine looking pistol.

Thereby destroying any residual historical value the gun might currently have.

Mortech

Do NOT refinishsas per the pervious posters observation , they are great pistols with lots of character . The one I used to own was quite accurate and reliable , the low recoil made it a lot of fun to shoot .