Thread: Tampa Fox 13 News - Open carry movement comes to Florida

Moderator / Administrator

Tampa Fox 13 News - Open carry movement comes to Florida

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/new...cause-11192010

SNIP

TAMPA - Imagine a place where everyone walks around wearing a side-arm. It's not the old west, it's modern day America, if one group gets its way.

They believe it's their constitutional right to openly carry a gun. They're bucking the system all across the nation -- a system they say robs them of their 2nd amendment, constitutional right to openly carry a gun, like Raul DeJesus does.

DeJesus says they might not agree with it, but the law is on his side.

"And these are the statutes. If I get stopped by a police officer, I can show him this," he says.

By Florida statute, you're allowed to carry a loaded gun while you're legally engaged in, or going to or from, certain outdoor activities.

"So am I right to assume that the only way you're legally carrying your open weapon is that you're fishing?" we asked him.

"Correct. Fishing, hunting or camping, in the state of Florida," he responds.

. . .

The open carry movement has grown from grass-roots to a full-on lobbying group. Right now, 43 states have some form of law allowing gun owners to openly carry their fire arms.

fast with the news Mike! Raul is our "Tampa Gun Rights Community Organizer".
    Last edited by StogieC; 11-20-2010 at 12:12 AM.

LOL, they used Ridley Report footage. I wonder if Dave knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Fox News
    By Florida statute, you're allowed to carry a loaded gun while you're legally engaged in, or going to or from, certain outdoor activities.

Interesting.

I wonder how many days per year a guy could go hunting/camping/fishing?

Or be on the way to for from same?

So, from what I gather, You could just keep a fishing rod and tackle box in your trunk and if pulled over, you simply state that you were "returning from (or on your way to fish)." From my experience, no matter where you are in Florida, you are minutes from a fishing location. For that matter, you could leave home for work, stop a few minutes down the road, cast your line once, then head to work and since you are "returning from fishing," and perhaps intend to go fishing after work, you are then simultaneously going to fish after you leave work. In Florida, it's important to be able to carry while fishing because many fishing locations are abound with very dangerous animals that may require you to defend yourself from. Some of those animals are reptilian, but every so often you come across a dangerous human who aggressively wants take your catch of the day after you worked so hard to reel it in.

All satire aside, I've been to south Florida, and I'll say this, there are many places in Miami that are not all swanky, high-brow, places where only enlightened, well-to-do people frequent. You can go from High society to slum in a matter of just a few blocks; places where people are likely to kill you just for the prospect that you have a few bucks in your pocket that could fund their heroin fix for the night. Florida desperately needs to get in line with the growing majority of states and let their citizens take responsibility for their own self-defense.
    Last edited by Nevada carrier; 11-29-2010 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HankT View Post
    Interesting.

I wonder how many days per year a guy could go hunting/camping/fishing?

Or be on the way to for from same?
    If you're homeless, aren't you perpetually camping?

Interesting...

I'm not being a Troll boomerang this time, Hank. I'm serious. It would seem to me that 'perpetual camping' is the necessary and unavoidable definition of homelessness.