• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC tonight

irish52084

I finally open carried tonight. I went to the safeway on 72nd and portland ave in tacoma to get some steaks for dinner. I was nervous about going because when I got there it was really busy. in the end, I don't think anyone even noticed with the exception of one guy who seemed like he wanted to get in line behind me, but then hesitated and looked at me for a few seconds before moving on. I think I'll continue my open carry escapades tomorrow if the need arises.

Deleted_User

I finally open carried tonight. I went to the safeway on 72nd and portland ave in tacoma to get some steaks for dinner. I was nervous about going because when I got there it was really busy. in the end, I don't think anyone even noticed with the exception of one guy who seemed like he wanted to get in line behind me, but then hesitated and looked at me for a few seconds before moving on. I think I'll continue my open carry escapades tomorrow if the need arises.

WELCOME TO OPEN CARRY!

Safeway is usually pretty safe, especially the ones near me. 72nd and Portland and Canyon are pretty good about OC. Just carry on with your normal affairs and enjoy! You must live pretty close, so mayhaps we'll meet up sometime.

I remember my first OC! I believe the first day I had spoken to an LEO as well. It was funny, but nothing to worry about. I was nervous, but the nerves go away with time.

Last edited:

PikesPeakMtnMan

That first experience is always a nerve-racking one....and for nothing too! My first OC was to Quizno's (here in Colo) because I knew the employees and it was usually pretty quiet on Saturday afternoons (I regularly stopped in after work)....except the day I chose to OC for the first time it was packed! (thanks a lot Murphy!) No responses from anyone however so that went a LONG way to helping me be comfortable with OC.

amzbrady

WELCOME TO OPEN CARRY!

Safeway is usually pretty safe, especially the ones near me. 72nd and Portland and Canyon are pretty good about OC. Just carry on with your normal affairs and enjoy! You must live pretty close, so mayhaps we'll meet up sometime.

I remember my first OC! I believe the first day I had spoken to an LEO as well. It was funny, but nothing to worry about. I was nervous, but the nerves go away with time.

I would think maybe it has something to do with the armed open carry customers? :banana:
Kinda seems to me that about anywhere I go with a firearm on my side seems pretty safe to me. :p

Good job Irish.

Last edited:

irish52084

Is there a list of places that don't support open carry? Places I should avoid open carry in? I thought I saw a list somewhere, but can't remember.

irish52084

I had my 5 year old step-son with me and he didn't even notice I was OC. I guess it's mostly people who carry who look at peoples waist and shoulders for a gun or signs of CC. lol All that nerves for nothing.

One thing I noticed, was that after 5 years of CC I felt like my pistol was just hanging out there and I kept wanting to cover it as an instinct. I always worried when CC that it would show and I'd get a reaction from somebody, I didn't even try to conceal and nobody noticed. lol

Hammer

I always worried when CC that it would show and I'd get a reaction from somebody, I didn't even try to conceal and nobody noticed. lol

Which gives you an idea of the situational awareness of most of the sheep....
Well done on a first time, and keep it up! It will become 2nd nature after a while. I feel kind of naked if I have to go somewhere without anymore.
Funny story about a grocery, tho
I was walking in to a local grocery in Concrete- you'd think a place OC would be more common- and a granny lady was having her groceries carried out by a clerk. She saw my pistol on my hip and outright screamed "He's got a gun!" and toddled off in the direction of her car. The clerk looked at me and just rolled his eyes. I thought it was pretty d@mn funny....

amlevin

Which gives you an idea of the situational awareness of most of the sheep....
Well done on a first time, and keep it up! It will become 2nd nature after a while. I feel kind of naked if I have to go somewhere without anymore.
Funny story about a grocery, tho
I was walking in to a local grocery in Concrete- you'd think a place OC would be more common- and a granny lady was having her groceries carried out by a clerk. She saw my pistol on my hip and outright screamed "He's got a gun!" and toddled off in the direction of her car. The clerk looked at me and just rolled his eyes. I thought it was pretty d@mn funny....

She must have been a transplant from Seattle.

Hammer

She must have been a transplant from Seattle.

Uh-oh- I feel a rant comin' on

These days it seems every tree-huggin', bark-munchin', commie left-wing nut-job from the city wants to "get away from it all" and buy a place in the country. What they seem not to realize is that they bring the problem. It is them, not the city that is the problem. I'd love to see it be a prerequisite to purchase that one be able to live on acreage for 2 weeks unsupported before they could purchase. But that's just me dreamin'
I did on-site service work for a while and it never ceased to amaze me the # of folk that would pay someone else to do their chores so they wouldn't have to get their hands dirty. Why live so far from the city if you need so many services? Stay close to town, feed the 2-legged animals.....
rant off, before I explode

amlevin

These days it seems every tree-huggin', bark-munchin', commie left-wing nut-job from the city wants to "get away from it all" and buy a place in the country. What they seem not to realize is that they bring the problem. It is them, not the city that is the problem. I'd love to see it be a prerequisite to purchase that one be able to live on acreage for 2 weeks unsupported before they could purchase. But that's just me dreamin'
I did on-site service work for a while and it never ceased to amaze me the # of folk that would pay someone else to do their chores so they wouldn't have to get their hands dirty. Why live so far from the city if you need so many services? Stay close to town, feed the 2-legged animals.....

Totally agree. I grew up on a farm in Silverdale. Was only 12 miles from town but when the wind blew or it snowed it might as well have been 1200 miles. Things that "city folk" take for granted kind of go away when there's no power. Well has water but no pump. Toilet doesn't flush, see first comment. Furnace doesn't run, same reason. City people don't realize that sometimes an "Outhouse" is more useful than just "quaint". Also, you have to cut firewood all summer to have heat in the fall and winter, or at least when the power is out.

As for firearms, forget law enforcement. Even during good times it takes 30 minutes to an hour for them to show up. Get used to guns when you live in the country or "STAY IN THE CITY".

Sparky508

LOL, Graham used to be "out in the country"......................................I think they are building a mono rail here soon.