Thread: Getting him started early...

Getting him started early...

Hes 5 and wanted to be like dad! (YES, all safety precautions were observed, thank you very much! )

McX
    my 13 year old approached me to get the feel. i did as you, no mag. safety precautions observed, and let him have it for 5 minutes. looks like we'll have another member of WisconsinCarry, and another carrier to add to the list in a few short years.

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    I actually took my five-yr-old girl to the range and had her shooting 22 handgun already.

As long as we teach RESPONSIBILITY first, there won;t be issues later.

Carry On

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar
    I believe its important to let kids 'explore' guns. Its essential to make sure that they aren't fascinated by them, but rather they have a basic understanding of them and they don't see them as "forbidden fruit". Which is all too tempting.

If you treat a gun like a forbidden fruit that the child can never touch, never hold, never understand, you only build a fascination and a desire for them TO get their hands on one.

As you guys do, in a safe manner, unloaded, under your supervision.

I teach my gf's kids all about safety, how to hold a gun, how to pick one up, the golden rule of gun safety. Then I let them each handle an unloaded gun with my close supervision.

I tell them if they EVER want to see or hold one, just let me know.

As a result, they are completely Unimpressed by guns. If one was laying on the table they wouldn't even be interested (not that we leave them on the table) but...

Its funny whenever they use to do those "dateline hidden camera stories" many parents who most vehemently instilled a complete fear of guns in their kids and a "never touch" and "guns = bad" view were the ones who were SHOCKED when in a staged hidden camera experiment with and a planted dummy gun in a playroom and THEIR kids are the ones to pick it up and start to play with it/explore it.

If our kids ever found a gun, I'm willing to bet the first thing the oldest would do is drop the mag and clear it.
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

My son is just under 13, has been in two pistol matches since 10yo, and KNOWS where my loaded ones are, and KNOWS how and when to have them in his hands.

Teaching works. Hiding them doesn't work.

Now for upcoming matches, I had to outfit with two 1911s. He sure likes that setup. Even likes the mouse .38.

The MOST important things are the basics.
    Don't point at anything you don't want a hole in.
    ASSUME it is loaded until you have personally checked.
    Don't put your finger on the trigger until it is pointed at something that you are willing to have a hole in.
    Last edited by wrightme; 11-20-2010 at 11:13 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

You are never too young to learn and you are never too old to stop learning!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

McX
    at the range my 13 yr old has fired pretty much i and springfield own. he has a perchant for the .357 mag, and wants me to 'straw purchase' one for him. i told him I would buy the gun, and hold it until he reaches the age of majority. he also has laid claim to smacky, and precious's sister in the event of my untimely death. damn kids!

Good to teach him the right way.

Many moons ago I used to work at "The Shooter's Shop" in West Allis. I used to routinely have folks come in with their children and while the parent was fondling a gun the curious child would ask: "Can I see it?"

Many times the parent would respond with: "No NO you must NEVER touch a gun!"

I always found that to be a contradictory attitude. If YOU are touching one, and it's NOT bad, why is it bad for your child (while under your supervision of course) to touch one? It sends a mixed message and may encourage your child to seek out your firearm while NOT under your supervision.

I started shooting at 6. By the time I was 12 there wasn't a firearm my dad owned that I couldn't detail strip and reassemble.

I say, teach em right when they are young, and you will head off or stop future bad habits.

My kids have super hearing and can somehow sense whenever the safe door is opened. My 2 older boys love shooting, my youngest is just ready to start.

If I could think of any negative to teaching your kids early it's the amount of money I have to spend on ammunition now that they are shooting too!!
    Last edited by Archangel; 11-20-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Good to teach him the right way.

Many moons ago I used to work at "The Shooter's Shop" in West Allis. I used to routinely have folks come in with their children and while the parent was fondling a gun the curious child would ask: "Can I see it?"

Many times the parent would respond with: "No NO you must NEVER touch a gun!"

I always found that to be a contradictory attitude. If YOU are touching one, and it's NOT bad, why is it bad for your child (while under your supervision of course) to touch one? It sends a mixed message and may encourage your child to seek out your firearm while NOT under your supervision.

I started shooting at 6. By the time I was 12 there wasn't a firearm my dad owned that I couldn't detail strip and reassemble.

I say, teach em right when they are young, and you will head off or stop future bad habits.

My kids have super hearing and can somehow sense whenever the safe door is opened. My 2 older boys love shooting, my youngest is just ready to start.

If I could think of any negative to teaching your kids early it's the amount of money I have to spend on ammunition now that they are shooting too!!
    No doubt! I now have to add the cost of firearms so we can BOTH shoot at the same time. Dang youngster is getting to where he is as good or better than I am when he puts his mind to it too. So, whither the cash goes, there goeth the pride soon.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    When I was young, Dad taught me photography. Real photography, where you consider the f stop & switch lenses and set film speed. By high school I got pretty good.

While I was doing the equivalent of plinking he covered film & processing, but once I got into it supplies came from my allowance or raking neighbor's leaves & such.

(I'm showing my age... Now there's digital cameras & rechargable batteries & I think Kodak actually stopped making real film.)

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    Dang youngster is getting to where he is as good or better than I am when he puts his mind to it too.
    So you're a good teacher - your student has surpassed you. That's a Good Thing.

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockRDH View Post
    Hes 5 and wanted to be like dad! (YES, all safety precautions were observed, thank you very much! )
    hey kid, you got a permit for that?

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    A famous man once said, "Permits? We don't need any stinking permits!"

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    A famous man once said, "Permits? We don't need any stinking permits!"
    famous, nah, but do add good looking!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZME6eZJF-I

famous, nah, but do add good looking!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZME6eZJF-I
    Are you saying I'm ugly? /sad panda

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Are you saying I'm ugly? /sad panda
    no that would be me.

He didnt have a photo ID on him either... :-)

Both our son and daughter were started on guns early. When the kids were old enough to hold whatever gun, with mom and dad's help of course, they started pulling triggers. All the kid's in our family and the wife's sister's family have been around guns from day one. We ALL love to shoot, hunt, and do anything outside with the kids. We are VERY rural folks so guns are just part of life here. Now most of the kid's in our two families are of age and most are in the military. We are starting with the next generation of kid's coming up in our clan. Teaching all of our children about gun safety and how to handle themselves around guns is just one of the very rewarding parts of being in our clan.
    "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." 1954

"Those that seek to limit or outlaw our [ GOD-GIVEN ] rights as men and women, are an enemy of mine and all patriots"

To the government: Take your filthy, dirty paws off my 2nd Amendment before you lose them.

WELL DONE. You should feel proud that your son looks to you as a role model.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

Love It

My heart is warmed at the thought that the coming generation offspring of the members of this forum will be so well schooled in firearms. We fight on for our civil right to carry as we see fit, but they will be defending themselves against a new generation of "enlightened ones" who are sure that all will be wonderful when only outlaws have guns.

Carry on my friends, carry on!
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    No doubt! I now have to add the cost of firearms so we can BOTH shoot at the same time. Dang youngster is getting to where he is as good or better than I am when he puts his mind to it too. So, whither the cash goes, there goeth the pride soon.
    I had put atleast 600 rounds thru my XD45 and the 16 yr. old was talking a little smack. So, I made him shoot a full mag. I was standing right there critiqueing him like a drill sargeant as he was shooting. Keep both eyes open. Only let the trigger come back until it clicks, no further. etc. HE damn near put a smiley face on the target. Expecting him to do poorly, I was eating crow. I was impressed. I signed him up for a Defensive Handgun 1 class with Midwest Markman's Mark Thole, and also had him shot 500 rounds before the class. Absolutley no forbidden fruit. He understands to own and carry a handgun is solemn responsibility. Or maybe he sees it as a chore. IDK.
    Last edited by BROKENSPROKET; 11-20-2010 at 11:29 PM.

The only limits I am placing on my son are as follows:

"Must be able to 'show clear' in a safe manner, and operate safely."
    "Want to do"

I encourage him to try just about any firearm we get our hands on, but I don't force him. He even tried my PPK, but it just about bruised the web of his hand, and one mag was enough. But he tried it.
    The one that really amazed me was when he took the snubby taurus and was hitting bowling pins down at match distance, which IIRC is 25'. I thinks he can take out a bg if needed. And yes, at home, he IS my backup.
    Last edited by wrightme; 11-21-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Another option is red/blue guns to train kids/adults on. Both my daughters used them to practice carry, draw, retention, doorway openings, and room entrances (slicing pie), cover and concealment. Red/blue guns were treated just like real guns, they are not toys.

Get the gun you currently carry, then your holster fits it.

I find it beneficial when working with new shooters as it makes ME feel safer! I didnt mind being "down range" from them while they cleared rooms.

McX
    the sad truth is; while we work dilligently with our children, there are many who will be raised by antis to never touch a firearm, and live their life in fear of it, they will end up victims in one form or another, then there is another group, the street crowd, who will only demonstrate the skills seen on the street, or in a video game. they will end up criminals, preying on the weak. as our time comes to a close in this world, we can take pride and comfort in the fact that we leave well trained, strong, intelegent chidren behind to carry on- so to speak.

Gentleman,

I respectfully ask you take a moment to pause for thought on how much fuel you have thrown on the Anti's fire.

What you do in the privacy of your homes is your business.I am all for education and I believe it works. But need I remind you that this isnt a private board. You dont have to be a member to view or read the opinions or responses here.

Please,Can we not give the Anti's more ammo ?

Personally I think the kid carrying is cute as hell, but I fear the spin thats goin to be put on it from the Anti's point of view and there is a photograph for them to twist and write their own caption for.

LR Yote.
    Last edited by LR Yote 312; 11-22-2010 at 04:18 AM. Reason: add an after thought
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

Quote Originally Posted by LR Yote 312 View Post
    Gentleman,

I respectfully ask you take a moment to pause for thought on how much fuel you have thrown on the Anti's fire.

What you do in the privacy of your homes is your business.I am all for education and I believe it works. But need I remind you that this isnt a private board. You dont have to be a member to view or read the opinions or responses here.

Please,Can we not give the Anti's more ammo ?

Personally I think the kid carrying is cute as hell, but I fear the spin thats goin to be put on it from the Anti's point of view and there is a photograph for them to twist and write their own caption for.

LR Yote.
    Antis don't like guns to begin with. I saw, let them hee and haw.