• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting him started early...

wrightme

The only limits I am placing on my son are as follows:

"Must be able to 'show clear' in a safe manner, and operate safely."
"Want to do"

I encourage him to try just about any firearm we get our hands on, but I don't force him. He even tried my PPK, but it just about bruised the web of his hand, and one mag was enough. But he tried it. :)
The one that really amazed me was when he took the snubby taurus and was hitting bowling pins down at match distance, which IIRC is 25'. I thinks he can take out a bg if needed. And yes, at home, he IS my backup.

Last edited:

NakedOne

Another option is red/blue guns to train kids/adults on. Both my daughters used them to practice carry, draw, retention, doorway openings, and room entrances (slicing pie), cover and concealment. Red/blue guns were treated just like real guns, they are not toys.

Get the gun you currently carry, then your holster fits it.

I find it beneficial when working with new shooters as it makes ME feel safer! I didnt mind being "down range" from them while they cleared rooms.

M

McX

the sad truth is; while we work dilligently with our children, there are many who will be raised by antis to never touch a firearm, and live their life in fear of it, they will end up victims in one form or another, then there is another group, the street crowd, who will only demonstrate the skills seen on the street, or in a video game. they will end up criminals, preying on the weak. as our time comes to a close in this world, we can take pride and comfort in the fact that we leave well trained, strong, intelegent chidren behind to carry on- so to speak.

LR Yote 312

Gentleman,

I respectfully ask you take a moment to pause for thought on how much fuel you have thrown on the Anti's fire.

What you do in the privacy of your homes is your business.I am all for education and I believe it works. But need I remind you that this isnt a private board. You dont have to be a member to view or read the opinions or responses here.

Please,Can we not give the Anti's more ammo ?

Personally I think the kid carrying is cute as hell, but I fear the spin thats goin to be put on it from the Anti's point of view and there is a photograph for them to twist and write their own caption for.

LR Yote.

Last edited:

protias

Gentleman,

I respectfully ask you take a moment to pause for thought on how much fuel you have thrown on the Anti's fire.

What you do in the privacy of your homes is your business.I am all for education and I believe it works. But need I remind you that this isnt a private board. You dont have to be a member to view or read the opinions or responses here.

Please,Can we not give the Anti's more ammo ?

Personally I think the kid carrying is cute as hell, but I fear the spin thats goin to be put on it from the Anti's point of view and there is a photograph for them to twist and write their own caption for.

LR Yote.

Antis don't like guns to begin with. I saw, let them hee and haw.