• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting him started early...

GlockRDH

Hes 5 and wanted to be like dad! (YES, all safety precautions were observed, thank you very much! )
hskttu.jpg

M

McX

my 13 year old approached me to get the feel. i did as you, no mag. safety precautions observed, and let him have it for 5 minutes. looks like we'll have another member of WisconsinCarry, and another carrier to add to the list in a few short years.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
I actually took my five-yr-old girl to the range and had her shooting 22 handgun already.

As long as we teach RESPONSIBILITY first, there won;t be issues later.

Carry On

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I believe its important to let kids 'explore' guns. Its essential to make sure that they aren't fascinated by them, but rather they have a basic understanding of them and they don't see them as "forbidden fruit". Which is all too tempting.

If you treat a gun like a forbidden fruit that the child can never touch, never hold, never understand, you only build a fascination and a desire for them TO get their hands on one.

As you guys do, in a safe manner, unloaded, under your supervision.

I teach my gf's kids all about safety, how to hold a gun, how to pick one up, the golden rule of gun safety. Then I let them each handle an unloaded gun with my close supervision.

I tell them if they EVER want to see or hold one, just let me know.

As a result, they are completely Unimpressed by guns. If one was laying on the table they wouldn't even be interested (not that we leave them on the table) but...

Its funny whenever they use to do those "dateline hidden camera stories" many parents who most vehemently instilled a complete fear of guns in their kids and a "never touch" and "guns = bad" view were the ones who were SHOCKED when in a staged hidden camera experiment with and a planted dummy gun in a playroom and THEIR kids are the ones to pick it up and start to play with it/explore it.

If our kids ever found a gun, I'm willing to bet the first thing the oldest would do is drop the mag and clear it.

wrightme

My son is just under 13, has been in two pistol matches since 10yo, and KNOWS where my loaded ones are, and KNOWS how and when to have them in his hands.

Teaching works. Hiding them doesn't work.

Now for upcoming matches, I had to outfit with two 1911s. He sure likes that setup. Even likes the mouse .38.

The MOST important things are the basics.
Don't point at anything you don't want a hole in.
ASSUME it is loaded until you have personally checked.
Don't put your finger on the trigger until it is pointed at something that you are willing to have a hole in.

Last edited:
M

McX

at the range my 13 yr old has fired pretty much i and springfield own. he has a perchant for the .357 mag, and wants me to 'straw purchase' one for him. i told him I would buy the gun, and hold it until he reaches the age of majority. he also has laid claim to smacky, and precious's sister in the event of my untimely death. damn kids!

Archangel

Good to teach him the right way.

Many moons ago I used to work at "The Shooter's Shop" in West Allis. I used to routinely have folks come in with their children and while the parent was fondling a gun the curious child would ask: "Can I see it?"

Many times the parent would respond with: "No NO you must NEVER touch a gun!"

I always found that to be a contradictory attitude. If YOU are touching one, and it's NOT bad, why is it bad for your child (while under your supervision of course) to touch one? It sends a mixed message and may encourage your child to seek out your firearm while NOT under your supervision.

I started shooting at 6. By the time I was 12 there wasn't a firearm my dad owned that I couldn't detail strip and reassemble.

I say, teach em right when they are young, and you will head off or stop future bad habits.

My kids have super hearing and can somehow sense whenever the safe door is opened. My 2 older boys love shooting, my youngest is just ready to start.

If I could think of any negative to teaching your kids early it's the amount of money I have to spend on ammunition now that they are shooting too!! :lol:

Last edited:

wrightme

Good to teach him the right way.

Many moons ago I used to work at "The Shooter's Shop" in West Allis. I used to routinely have folks come in with their children and while the parent was fondling a gun the curious child would ask: "Can I see it?"

Many times the parent would respond with: "No NO you must NEVER touch a gun!"

I always found that to be a contradictory attitude. If YOU are touching one, and it's NOT bad, why is it bad for your child (while under your supervision of course) to touch one? It sends a mixed message and may encourage your child to seek out your firearm while NOT under your supervision.

I started shooting at 6. By the time I was 12 there wasn't a firearm my dad owned that I couldn't detail strip and reassemble.

I say, teach em right when they are young, and you will head off or stop future bad habits.

My kids have super hearing and can somehow sense whenever the safe door is opened. My 2 older boys love shooting, my youngest is just ready to start.

If I could think of any negative to teaching your kids early it's the amount of money I have to spend on ammunition now that they are shooting too!! :lol:
No doubt! I now have to add the cost of firearms so we can BOTH shoot at the same time. Dang youngster is getting to where he is as good or better than I am when he puts his mind to it too. So, whither the cash goes, there goeth the pride soon.

MKEgal

When I was young, Dad taught me photography. Real photography, where you consider the f stop & switch lenses and set film speed. By high school I got pretty good.

While I was doing the equivalent of plinking he covered film & processing, but once I got into it supplies came from my allowance or raking neighbor's leaves & such.

(I'm showing my age... Now there's digital cameras & rechargable batteries & I think Kodak actually stopped making real film.)

Dang youngster is getting to where he is as good or better than I am when he puts his mind to it too.

So you're a good teacher - your student has surpassed you. That's a Good Thing.

Misplaced Texan

Both our son and daughter were started on guns early. When the kids were old enough to hold whatever gun, with mom and dad's help of course, they started pulling triggers. All the kid's in our family and the wife's sister's family have been around guns from day one. We ALL love to shoot, hunt, and do anything outside with the kids. We are VERY rural folks so guns are just part of life here. Now most of the kid's in our two families are of age and most are in the military. We are starting with the next generation of kid's coming up in our clan. Teaching all of our children about gun safety and how to handle themselves around guns is just one of the very rewarding parts of being in our clan.

jpm84092

Love It

My heart is warmed at the thought that the coming generation offspring of the members of this forum will be so well schooled in firearms. We fight on for our civil right to carry as we see fit, but they will be defending themselves against a new generation of "enlightened ones" who are sure that all will be wonderful when only outlaws have guns.

Carry on my friends, carry on!

BROKENSPROKET

No doubt! I now have to add the cost of firearms so we can BOTH shoot at the same time. Dang youngster is getting to where he is as good or better than I am when he puts his mind to it too. So, whither the cash goes, there goeth the pride soon.

I had put atleast 600 rounds thru my XD45 and the 16 yr. old was talking a little smack. So, I made him shoot a full mag. I was standing right there critiqueing him like a drill sargeant as he was shooting. Keep both eyes open. Only let the trigger come back until it clicks, no further. etc. HE damn near put a smiley face on the target. Expecting him to do poorly, I was eating crow. I was impressed. I signed him up for a Defensive Handgun 1 class with Midwest Markman's Mark Thole, and also had him shot 500 rounds before the class. Absolutley no forbidden fruit. He understands to own and carry a handgun is solemn responsibility. Or maybe he sees it as a chore. IDK.

Last edited: