• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ak pistol capable of hitting a target over a mile away

kwikrnu

Banned
I learn new things every day. Did you know that 7.62x39mm ammunition, made by winchester and sold by Walmart, is high powered rifle ammunition and is capable of hitting a target at over a mile away when shot from an ak pistol with an 11.5 inch barrel?

I guess the AK pistol wins the ar v ak battle.

Cite coming March 2011.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I learn new things every day. Did you know that 7.62x39mm ammunition, made by winchester and sold by Walmart, is high powered rifle ammunition and is capable of hitting a target at over a mile away when shot from an ak pistol with an 11.5 inch barrel?

I guess the AK pistol wins the ar v ak battle.

Cite coming March 2011.

What size target? A battleship?

kwikrnu

Banned
No, an aircraft carrier. A .22 long rifle has an effective range of.....you guessed it, one mile.

There is no way a .22lr has an effective range of one mile. Maybe a range of one mile, but not definately not effective. If you do not agree please provide evidence that a target can be effectively engaged at that distance. Effective probably means the bullet has some type of effect on the target. In this case the effect should be one of being able to wound or kill.

Last edited:

rodbender

There is no way a .22lr has an effective range of one mile. Maybe a range of one mile, but not definately not effective. If you do not agree please provide evidence that a target can be effectively engaged at that distance. Effective probably means the bullet has some type of effect on the target. In this case the effect should be one of being able to wound or kill.

Haven't looked in a while, but that's what it used to say on every box of .22LR I bought.

rodbender

Ivan Sample said:
I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!

Ivan, your 2 cents ain't worth 2 spits, not around here anyway.

kwikrnu

Banned
Seems they go by Tennessee's constitution which states they can "regulate the wearing of arms" in section 26.

It was decided in 1871 by the Tennessee Supreme Court, in Andrews v State, that regulation is not prohibition. By prohibiting me from carrying a loaded handgun in public they do not recognize the Second Amendment.

6L6GC

"effective" means that if someone fires the 22 at just the right angle and the bullet travels one mile and comes down and strikes you in the eye that you could shoot yer eye out kid!

kwikrnu

Banned
"effective" means that if someone fires the 22 at just the right angle and the bullet travels one mile and comes down and strikes you in the eye that you could shoot yer eye out kid!

Which is what I said. Now, were you targeting the eye, or was it a random shot?

eye95

Someone posted videos of accurate shots from over a mile. I do not recall the caliber.