Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lakewood cops can give tickets in puyallup?

Lakewood cops can give tickets in puyallup?

My wife and I went to a friends house on McCord yesterday for a party because he is PCSing next week. On the way home, we were on 94th ave e heading south. I was really intoxicated so I did not see the cop I only heard him talking to my wife. She says the car was blue and the ticket says we were in the city of lakewood in the city/county block. But in the location block it says 94th ave E and 126th st E. Which, after checking online to make sure I wasn't crazy, is not in the city limits of lakewood. It is puyallup. Is there something I am missing here or are cops allowed to do that in WA, I know that they aren't allowed to in FL. OH yea, my wife doesn't drink so she was not drinking or anything.

As a general rule, the cops are cross-deputized in the locales they are likely to issue cites.
    There may be some rel current thing about any sworn LEO may cite anywhere, but I am very unsure of that.
    You could question it to the local district court that will handle the case, but I doubt you get out of it that way.
    My technique is to find a good traffic lawyer, pay the man, and let him handle it.

Since they get their commission from the state and not the cities they work for, they pretty mcuh have authority wherever they are.

If the location is wrong, I would contest on the grounds the information is faulty and therefore other information is also suspect and probably faulty.

I am not a lawyer though and recommend you check with one.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

They can issue tickets all over the state. Like others have said, get a lawyer if it's important to you and they will handle it. If your wife has no moving violations, she can get a deferral in traffic court. The deferral negates the ticket as long as she doesn't get another within a year.

In washington police have the same authority everywhere in the state, no matter what city or county they actually work for.

ah ok, well yea there is a box that says 16+ passenger and there are boxes to check yes or no and it has no checked. I was in the car, I had the front seat layed down. i'm not sure if the box is supposed to be checked since i was in the car too. She has never gotten a ticket before, and i know if they mess up on the ticket it gets thrown out in court and there are 2 mistakes right there. I am definitely getting a lawyer. I know people know them on here, so I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion?

Price

How much is the ticket, and how much is the lawyer?
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Lakewood also contracts their police services from Pierce County Sheriff I believe.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    Lakewood also contracts their police services from Pierce County Sheriff I believe.
    NEGATIVE! Lakewood has their own PD, I believe you are referring to University Place that contracts with PCSO for police services....
    "And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    E nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

Quote Originally Posted by devildoc5 View Post
    NEGATIVE! Lakewood has their own PD, I believe you are referring to University Place that contracts with PCSO for police services....
    I knew it was one of them with blue cars.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by J_Douglass View Post
    ah ok, well yea there is a box that says 16+ passenger and there are boxes to check yes or no and it has no checked. I was in the car, I had the front seat layed down. i'm not sure if the box is supposed to be checked since i was in the car too. She has never gotten a ticket before, and i know if they mess up on the ticket it gets thrown out in court and there are 2 mistakes right there. I am definitely getting a lawyer. I know people know them on here, so I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion?
    Mistakes on the ticket can be corrected in the officers affidavit which he will file with the court within 5 days.

If you want to beat the ticket, send me a PM and I can work with you on how to do so.
    Live Free or Die!

I don't have the info at hand but Gov Gary Locke is the one who who made it so that the officers have cross jurisdiction. Remember this the next time you are passing thru Grant County and decide to pass a Pierce County Sheriff on the freeway at a high rate of speed.

Prepaid legal. O haven't paid for a single ticket since and neither has my wife.

Ticket is 154$ lawyer, I dunno, but even if they are the same price and the lawyer gets no points on her record it is worth it. I do not remember if I mentioned it but she has never gotten a ticket before.

Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    I don't have the info at hand but Gov Gary Locke is the one who who made it so that the officers have cross jurisdiction. Remember this the next time you are passing thru Grant County and decide to pass a Pierce County Sheriff on the freeway at a high rate of speed.
    That's stupid IMO, lets just give people with a badge free reign where ever they are. Why is there Lakewood pd, and PCSO, and state patrol? Why is every cop not a Washington state cop? Pointless to me. "I'm a lakewood cop and I want to run radar over here in puyallup."- makes no sense to me.

Ticket is 154$ lawyer, I dunno, but even if they are the same price and the lawyer gets no points on her record it is worth it. I do not remember if I mentioned it but she has never gotten a ticket before.
    We do not have points in Washington. A lawyer is not necissary since it is her first ticket.
    Live Free or Die!

ah ok, well yea there is a box that says 16+ passenger and there are boxes to check yes or no and it has no checked. I was in the car, I had the front seat layed down. i'm not sure if the box is supposed to be checked since i was in the car too.
    The 16+ passengers refers to whether or not it was a bus you were in. So that box should have been marked NO. It is a CDL thing. CDL license holders are held to higher standards as well. For them, your considered drunk at a .04% instead of .08%.

In deciding between getting a lawyer or not, I would also consider if your insurance will raise your rates due to the ticket. I haven't had a ticket in like 8 years, but I remember my last one they raised my rate for just the one ticket so I had 3 years of higher insurance costs to deal with too.

Ya, get a lawyer....

Just joking...

IF she has never had a "ticket" and her record is clean. I would suggest you fight it - doesn't mean you get a lawyer. I love it when people say I'll get "my" lawyer.... It's such a sad statement.

For this check the box you want to have a day in court and explain your situation. You'll get a court date and then have her explain she's never gotten a ticket before.... with a clean record the presiding judge may reduce the fine and/or stipulate to have it removed from her record after 6 months of no further infractions. But be warned you may get a judge that doesn't see it that way and enforce the ticket too.

Worth a shot... Good luck to you.

I fought my first ticket a few years back and that's what they did (removed in 6 months and reduced fine).

Class

I remember a long time ago in California you could take a drivers ED class and get one ticket cleared from your record. Maybe WA has something similar? Also by going to court and pleading "Guilty with explanation" I've had the ticket price cut in half. The courts appreciate the fact you took the time to come in. That worked in CA, but backfired in CO (actually cost more). Just a couple of thoughts.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    I Also by going to court and pleading "Guilty with explanation" I've had the ticket price cut in half. The courts appreciate the fact you took the time to come in. That worked in CA, but backfired in CO (actually cost more). Just a couple of thoughts.
    I lived in Colorado for a while. City of Denver ran what many considered to be a scam. Traffic cops would cite for speeding on the off ramp from E-470 to Pena Blvd (road to new airport). The speed on E-470 was 60 mph and same for Pena Blvd. The ramp dropped to 50 and a MC Cop would write a book full of tickets each shift. If you "just sent in your check for $50", they would "score" it as an equipment violation. If you protested it, it went to $100 and the judge/magistrate could care less about your "excuse". A Protest also landed you a couple of points on the D/L as well.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

the only time i have seen anything like this was about 10 years ago(in oklahoma). my cousin got pulled over for speeding(i believe), and the officer was from another city. He merely detained us until the "arresting officer" arrived, who then let us go with a warning.
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

and the officer was from another city. He merely detained us until the "arresting officer" arrived, who then let us go with a warning.
    I had an off-duty cop (Bellevue) pull me over on Hwy 101 on the way back from the ocean. He held me there till a WSP trooper showed up and had him write me a ticket (75 in a 60 - paced). I fought the ticket in court and won. How? Because the Bellevue cop didn't sign the ticket, the state patrol officer did. Since WSP did not catch me in the act the ticket was null and void.

How did the off duty officer know you were speeding in the first place?

Ask the court for MITIGATION

In Washington, one can request the ticket be mitigated. This would mean the ticket would be held in abeyance for a period of 1 year, and with no other violations (traffic) would be dismissed. If, on the other hand, there were another violation, the first violation woild still stand with a fine to be paid and the second violation adjuducated at that time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast