• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lakewood cops can give tickets in puyallup?

amlevin

I Also by going to court and pleading "Guilty with explanation" I've had the ticket price cut in half. The courts appreciate the fact you took the time to come in. That worked in CA, but backfired in CO (actually cost more). Just a couple of thoughts.

I lived in Colorado for a while. City of Denver ran what many considered to be a scam. Traffic cops would cite for speeding on the off ramp from E-470 to Pena Blvd (road to new airport). The speed on E-470 was 60 mph and same for Pena Blvd. The ramp dropped to 50 and a MC Cop would write a book full of tickets each shift. If you "just sent in your check for $50", they would "score" it as an equipment violation. If you protested it, it went to $100 and the judge/magistrate could care less about your "excuse". A Protest also landed you a couple of points on the D/L as well.

Coded-Dude

the only time i have seen anything like this was about 10 years ago(in oklahoma). my cousin got pulled over for speeding(i believe), and the officer was from another city. He merely detained us until the "arresting officer" arrived, who then let us go with a warning.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
and the officer was from another city. He merely detained us until the "arresting officer" arrived, who then let us go with a warning.

I had an off-duty cop (Bellevue) pull me over on Hwy 101 on the way back from the ocean. He held me there till a WSP trooper showed up and had him write me a ticket (75 in a 60 - paced). I fought the ticket in court and won. How? Because the Bellevue cop didn't sign the ticket, the state patrol officer did. Since WSP did not catch me in the act the ticket was null and void.

Trigger Dr

Ask the court for MITIGATION

In Washington, one can request the ticket be mitigated. This would mean the ticket would be held in abeyance for a period of 1 year, and with no other violations (traffic) would be dismissed. If, on the other hand, there were another violation, the first violation woild still stand with a fine to be paid and the second violation adjuducated at that time.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Choices

Your choices are as follows: (because so many are getting it wrong!:banghead:)

1) Admit guilt and enclose $. Ticket is on your record.
2) Mitigation hearing. Admit guilt and have a reduced fine. Ticket is on your record.
3) Contested hearing. Not guilty. Challenge the infraction and either have the ticket dismissed or lose and pay the fine and have it on your record.

Chosing either #2 or #3 will allow the judge to present you with a deferred sentence. Thereby you do not admit guilt, but you pay a "court fee" of usually $175 or more, don't get any more infractions in the next 6 months (12 if you have a crappy driving record, this is up to the judge and remember the judge sees your entire record). However, if you choose a deferred sentence and you get another ticket (and tickets tend to come in bunches) you are out the "court fee" and found guilty of this infraction as well as you have to pay the new infraction and the old infraction. (will cost you 3 times!)

Here is a copy of the back of a ticket. My suggestion is to ALWAYS contest the infraction, it is the only way you can protect your rights. (you can always change your plea at a later time). My suggestion is to NEVER suponea the officer, he will show (he is getting paid) and you will lose. Furthermore, I have posted one of my 2 tickets this summer that was dismissed!

Then request discovery by following these directions (you will have to email me for the Word document). Post your discovery here and follow the suggestions of the experts that frequent this site. They are kind of like us at OCDO but they study traffic law.

Scan_Pic0001.jpg

Scan_Pic0002.jpg

Last edited: