• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lakewood cops can give tickets in puyallup?

J_Douglass

My wife and I went to a friends house on McCord yesterday for a party because he is PCSing next week. On the way home, we were on 94th ave e heading south. I was really intoxicated so I did not see the cop I only heard him talking to my wife. She says the car was blue and the ticket says we were in the city of lakewood in the city/county block. But in the location block it says 94th ave E and 126th st E. Which, after checking online to make sure I wasn't crazy, is not in the city limits of lakewood. It is puyallup. Is there something I am missing here or are cops allowed to do that in WA, I know that they aren't allowed to in FL. OH yea, my wife doesn't drink so she was not drinking or anything.

Hammer

As a general rule, the cops are cross-deputized in the locales they are likely to issue cites.
There may be some rel current thing about any sworn LEO may cite anywhere, but I am very unsure of that.
You could question it to the local district court that will handle the case, but I doubt you get out of it that way.
My technique is to find a good traffic lawyer, pay the man, and let him handle it.

j2l3

Since they get their commission from the state and not the cities they work for, they pretty mcuh have authority wherever they are.

If the location is wrong, I would contest on the grounds the information is faulty and therefore other information is also suspect and probably faulty.

I am not a lawyer though and recommend you check with one.

irish52084

They can issue tickets all over the state. Like others have said, get a lawyer if it's important to you and they will handle it. If your wife has no moving violations, she can get a deferral in traffic court. The deferral negates the ticket as long as she doesn't get another within a year.

twest17

In washington police have the same authority everywhere in the state, no matter what city or county they actually work for.

J_Douglass

ah ok, well yea there is a box that says 16+ passenger and there are boxes to check yes or no and it has no checked. I was in the car, I had the front seat layed down. i'm not sure if the box is supposed to be checked since i was in the car too. She has never gotten a ticket before, and i know if they mess up on the ticket it gets thrown out in court and there are 2 mistakes right there. I am definitely getting a lawyer. I know people know them on here, so I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
ah ok, well yea there is a box that says 16+ passenger and there are boxes to check yes or no and it has no checked. I was in the car, I had the front seat layed down. i'm not sure if the box is supposed to be checked since i was in the car too. She has never gotten a ticket before, and i know if they mess up on the ticket it gets thrown out in court and there are 2 mistakes right there. I am definitely getting a lawyer. I know people know them on here, so I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion?

Mistakes on the ticket can be corrected in the officers affidavit which he will file with the court within 5 days.

If you want to beat the ticket, send me a PM and I can work with you on how to do so.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I don't have the info at hand but Gov Gary Locke is the one who who made it so that the officers have cross jurisdiction. Remember this the next time you are passing thru Grant County and decide to pass a Pierce County Sheriff on the freeway at a high rate of speed.

J_Douglass

Ticket is 154$ lawyer, I dunno, but even if they are the same price and the lawyer gets no points on her record it is worth it. I do not remember if I mentioned it but she has never gotten a ticket before.

J_Douglass

I don't have the info at hand but Gov Gary Locke is the one who who made it so that the officers have cross jurisdiction. Remember this the next time you are passing thru Grant County and decide to pass a Pierce County Sheriff on the freeway at a high rate of speed.

That's stupid IMO, lets just give people with a badge free reign where ever they are. Why is there Lakewood pd, and PCSO, and state patrol? Why is every cop not a Washington state cop? Pointless to me. "I'm a lakewood cop and I want to run radar over here in puyallup."- makes no sense to me.

fordguy

ah ok, well yea there is a box that says 16+ passenger and there are boxes to check yes or no and it has no checked. I was in the car, I had the front seat layed down. i'm not sure if the box is supposed to be checked since i was in the car too.

The 16+ passengers refers to whether or not it was a bus you were in. So that box should have been marked NO. It is a CDL thing. CDL license holders are held to higher standards as well. For them, your considered drunk at a .04% instead of .08%.

Jayd1981

In deciding between getting a lawyer or not, I would also consider if your insurance will raise your rates due to the ticket. I haven't had a ticket in like 8 years, but I remember my last one they raised my rate for just the one ticket so I had 3 years of higher insurance costs to deal with too.

oldkim

Ya, get a lawyer....

Just joking...

IF she has never had a "ticket" and her record is clean. I would suggest you fight it - doesn't mean you get a lawyer. I love it when people say I'll get "my" lawyer.... It's such a sad statement.

For this check the box you want to have a day in court and explain your situation. You'll get a court date and then have her explain she's never gotten a ticket before.... with a clean record the presiding judge may reduce the fine and/or stipulate to have it removed from her record after 6 months of no further infractions. But be warned you may get a judge that doesn't see it that way and enforce the ticket too.

Worth a shot... Good luck to you.

I fought my first ticket a few years back and that's what they did (removed in 6 months and reduced fine).

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Class

I remember a long time ago in California you could take a drivers ED class and get one ticket cleared from your record. Maybe WA has something similar? Also by going to court and pleading "Guilty with explanation" I've had the ticket price cut in half. The courts appreciate the fact you took the time to come in. That worked in CA, but backfired in CO (actually cost more). Just a couple of thoughts.