• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has the law changed on Open Carry in Alabama?

InalienableRights

I had an owner of a small, local gun store\shooting range tell me that the law on open carry has changed, but I can't find anything to confirm this. I think he's wrong. His 'source' is a retired cop (rolls eyes) so I don't hold much faith in this information. However, I want to know of any changes. He had me pissed off for about 15 minutes which is how long it took me to get home and log in.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Never put much stock in "what a friend of a friend" tells someone.
Always seek confirmation with cite to the law - anything else is bovine excrement.

eye95

Don't rely on police officers for the law. Many of them are predisposed to believe oft-repeated myths that fit their view of how society should operate and their role.

When I was stopped yesterday, some of these myths were repeated, although all of the officers save one said that OC without a permit on foot was lawful. One insisted that I needed a permit.

Some of the myths that were specifically repeated yesterday:

"I can arrest you right now." Not without Probable Cause, and he had none.

"We can stop an OCer." Not under color of law without Reasonable Articulable Suspicion of a crime.

"Public alarm trumps your right to carry." Not according to the constitutions of the US and Alabama.

"I [the officer] can trespass you from Target." No, only the owner an agent of the owner may. The manager called corporate and said, "I can't."

If you want to know what the law on OC in Alabama is, read this site and/or visit AlabamaOpenCarry.com.

AL Ranger

Open Carry in Alabama is legal and if it weren't my wife and I would have been arrested today and every other Saturday when we meet with other Open Carriers...as well as the other times I OC all over the state.

ExLipscombChief

I am a retired LEO. I never questioned the freedom of open carry. It is the law. Those old fogies who claim it is illegal or the law has changed belong to the came group who still think driving barefoot is illegal. PFFFFTTTT, never has been. They need to have refresher classes in Alabama Code. Wake up and smell the coffee with the OC'ers at Starbucks.

Mike

AL Ranger

Our group in Huntsville has gotten so large we have outgrown our first two meeting locations. We now have anywhere from 14-20 members show up to meet. We invite all AL residents to stop by the Alabama Open Carry website and check out the meetings in your area. Join the site, sign our petition to increase our political power in Montgomery, then join in the local meetings with fellow 2A supporters. The ALOC group is growing at a phenomenal rate and we could still use more members. We have legislation that will be going to Montgomery for a vote and hope to have new gun laws within a year. Help us to support your gun rights in AL...join ASAP.

Kirbinator

I am a retired LEO. I never questioned the freedom of open carry. It is the law. Those old fogies who claim it is illegal or the law has changed belong to the came group who still think driving barefoot is illegal. PFFFFTTTT, never has been. They need to have refresher classes in Alabama Code. Wake up and smell the coffee with the OC'ers at Starbucks.

Mike

I had a state trooper, a young one, a decade ago tell me that it wasn't illegal to do so. =)

I was barefoot at the time.

Last edited: