Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bellingham, WA police pay $1,500 to open carrier

Bellingham, WA police pay $1,500 to open carrier

Many of you are aware of sudden valley gunner's illegal seizure, at gunpoint, by the Bellingham Police Department. Today I am pleased to announce that he settled his claim against the city. The city has paid $1500, and will be issuing an appropriate open carry training bulletin to its police officers. In exchange, no lawsuit will be filed.

It's not an enormous victory, but it's a victory nonetheless, and it accomplished what SVG set out to do. I am happy to have been of assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by olypendrew View Post
    Many of you are aware of sudden valley gunner's illegal seizure, at gunpoint, by the Bellingham Police Department. Today I am pleased to announce that he settled his claim against the city. The city has paid $1500, and will be issuing an appropriate open carry training bulletin to its police officers. In exchange, no lawsuit will be filed.

It's not an enormous victory, but it's a victory nonetheless, and it accomplished what SVG set out to do. I am happy to have been of assistance.
    Any victory is a good victory. Thanks to you for assisting SVG in this.

Super Moderator
    Any background or documentation on this? Has he spoken to press contacts yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Any background or documentation on this? Has he spoken to press contacts yet?
    The background is discussed here:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ed-at-GUNPOINT

The only announcements so far have been here, and on my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Port-A...w/195597379214

I plan to do some sort of press release soon. I didn't want to say anything until I had the check in hand. I've never actually had to do a press release before, so I'm open to suggestions.

Cool. I hope he gets a new pistol.

Banned
    At least the department is going to do some training.

Well done, olypendrew, and thanks for your services. They help every OCer.
    Congrats to SVG, and tho the settlement is small, it is a victory! I hope ya get some iron you've been lusting for.
    The only icing would be to know the BPD officers involved had their nuts in a vice over this, but that is unlikely to happen.

Congratulations SVG, and well done, olypendrew. You two have made my day!

Oh, and thanks for the Facebook page, olypendrew.

Regular Member Gilead_Gunslinger's Avatar
    mid-world (somewhere between tacoma and seattle)
    excellent work gentlemen..

Awesome news!!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Thanks for your help Drew!!!

It was not ever about the money. I could have pursued a larger settlement and feel confident Drew would have won. I wanted to make sure though there was no non-disclosure agreements and that Drew and I can talk about it freely. I also didn't feel it fair to penalize Bellingham tax payers in this tight time for the LEO's unlawful actions.

What this does for me is make it clear that anytime they bother any OC'er or generally violate 4th amendment rights, they have been duly warned, and will rightfully be taken to the cleaners and hopefully errant police cleaned out.

I am giving all my proceeds to fight Josh's case and hope Drew nails their asses to the wall.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Good move, my friend. Congratulations on your hard work!

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I am giving all my proceeds to fight Josh's case and hope Drew nails their asses to the wall.
    You, sir, are a patriot!

Thanks guys that means a lot hearing it from you.

After Heller and McDonald it's a whole new ballgame now I think it would be awesome for a good constitutional lawyer like Drew to get us a published case we can refer to if it goes that far.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

I think this is a good time for a coffee meet! Does someone know of a place kinda centrally located between Bham and Oly? Say a Sat. morning? Lets hear it!

Quote Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
    I think this is a good time for a coffee meet! Does someone know of a place kinda centrally located between Bham and Oly? Say a Sat. morning? Lets hear it!
    Sounds good to me.

Wow. After reading your initial post, I figured the only thing that's gonna fix this is nothing short of civil war. This stuff fires me up so much! I am so happy our justice system worked. If I ever get harassed, I know who I am going to have support me. WAY TO GO!!!!!!! Our forefathers would be proud!

Joe~

Quote Originally Posted by olypendrew View Post
    The background is discussed here:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ed-at-GUNPOINT

The only announcements so far have been here, and on my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Port-A...w/195597379214

I plan to do some sort of press release soon. I didn't want to say anything until I had the check in hand. I've never actually had to do a press release before, so I'm open to suggestions.
    Press releases should be short and as concise as possible. Title should be the result such as "Bellingham Police Settle rather than facing lawsuit?

A brief summary of events leading up to threat of suit. Explanation of what Police did wrong, and what they have agreed to do to prevent it in the future.

End with a statement of what rights citizens have to be free from unlawfull detainment while going about lawful activities.

If it takes more than one 8-1/2 X 11 page, it's too long.

With the Fed's now looking at Seattle PD for their activities, the timing might be great to get your Press Release picked up by Seattle Media as well as Bellingham. Might even send a copy to AP as these cases are popping up all over the country.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Good points, I leave the press stuff up to Drew.

P.S. maybe include the other cases that were won costing cities a lot more money when they went to court as a reason why the city settled.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 11-21-2010 at 11:27 AM.

+1

A fine move.

Much applause warranted.
    Last edited by amlevin; 11-21-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Congratulations, SVG and Drew. It is very heartening to know that sometimes we DO win! Very selfless of you to donate your money to help Josh's case, I certainly hope he wins as well. This is probably some of the most important work we will ever do, relevant to our rights. People are beginning to stand up for their rights and demand accountability of their elected officials, LEOs and LEAs, etc. and being led by patriots. It is my hope and prayer that this movement continues to gain momentum in order that there will truly be "justice for all".
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

OT: It seems back home in PA an OCer got paid as well. A good week for OC wins

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ier-for-23-500

Congrats SVG and Drew on getting this settled in such a positive manner and SVG for your donation to another cause.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Thanks for your help Drew!!!

It was not ever about the money. I could have pursued a larger settlement and feel confident Drew would have won. I wanted to make sure though there was no non-disclosure agreements and that Drew and I can talk about it freely. I also didn't feel it fair to penalize Bellingham tax payers in this tight time for the LEO's unlawful actions.

What this does for me is make it clear that anytime they bother any OC'er or generally violate 4th amendment rights, they have been duly warned, and will rightfully be taken to the cleaners and hopefully errant police cleaned out.

+1,500 A great gesture moving the movement forward! Go get 'em!
    Last edited by Deleted_User; 11-21-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Shrammy?

Maybe we ought to see if Ken Schramm will give the Bellingham police a Shrammy award.

IMHO, I would encourage a stronger position for settlement whenever we can (OAOA), and agree it's not about the money, and don't think the taxpayers will absorb any legal costs one way or the other....I think that donating the proceeds to the next case on the docket is noble, and if we can get a body of law established, that would be helpful, but does a "settlement" actually do that?

I am hoping that we can make this point with the PCSD in in Pierce County.

It seems to me that at some level, punitive damages are intended to modify behavior on both the intended target and in this situation collaterally as well, so publishing the outcomes will have an impact on the agency and on the leadership beyond a single event that can be recovered with a busy day on I-5 and ten speeding tickets, where is where these cops hopefully have been reassigned .

We had an invitation to introduce some training in Vancouver after the big event down there. Has anyone been able to follow up on that? This would be good fodder for the training case study's
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast