• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bellingham, WA police pay $1,500 to open carrier

olypendrew

Many of you are aware of sudden valley gunner's illegal seizure, at gunpoint, by the Bellingham Police Department. Today I am pleased to announce that he settled his claim against the city. The city has paid $1500, and will be issuing an appropriate open carry training bulletin to its police officers. In exchange, no lawsuit will be filed.

It's not an enormous victory, but it's a victory nonetheless, and it accomplished what SVG set out to do. I am happy to have been of assistance.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Many of you are aware of sudden valley gunner's illegal seizure, at gunpoint, by the Bellingham Police Department. Today I am pleased to announce that he settled his claim against the city. The city has paid $1500, and will be issuing an appropriate open carry training bulletin to its police officers. In exchange, no lawsuit will be filed.

It's not an enormous victory, but it's a victory nonetheless, and it accomplished what SVG set out to do. I am happy to have been of assistance.

Any victory is a good victory. Thanks to you for assisting SVG in this.

olypendrew

Any background or documentation on this? Has he spoken to press contacts yet?

The background is discussed here:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?59740-Stopped-at-GUNPOINT

The only announcements so far have been here, and on my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Port-Angeles-WA/J-Andrew-Lauer-Attorney-at-Law/195597379214

I plan to do some sort of press release soon. I didn't want to say anything until I had the check in hand. I've never actually had to do a press release before, so I'm open to suggestions.

Hammer

Well done, olypendrew, and thanks for your services. They help every OCer.
Congrats to SVG, and tho the settlement is small, it is a victory! I hope ya get some iron you've been lusting for.
The only icing would be to know the BPD officers involved had their nuts in a vice over this, but that is unlikely to happen.

sudden valley gunner

Thanks for your help Drew!!!

It was not ever about the money. I could have pursued a larger settlement and feel confident Drew would have won. I wanted to make sure though there was no non-disclosure agreements and that Drew and I can talk about it freely. I also didn't feel it fair to penalize Bellingham tax payers in this tight time for the LEO's unlawful actions.

What this does for me is make it clear that anytime they bother any OC'er or generally violate 4th amendment rights, they have been duly warned, and will rightfully be taken to the cleaners and hopefully errant police cleaned out.

I am giving all my proceeds to fight Josh's case and hope Drew nails their asses to the wall.

sudden valley gunner

Thanks guys that means a lot hearing it from you.

After Heller and McDonald it's a whole new ballgame now I think it would be awesome for a good constitutional lawyer like Drew to get us a published case we can refer to if it goes that far.

Squeak

I think this is a good time for a coffee meet! Does someone know of a place kinda centrally located between Bham and Oly? Say a Sat. morning? Lets hear it!:banana:

joejoejoe

Wow. After reading your initial post, I figured the only thing that's gonna fix this is nothing short of civil war. This stuff fires me up so much! I am so happy our justice system worked. If I ever get harassed, I know who I am going to have support me. WAY TO GO!!!!!!! Our forefathers would be proud!

Joe~

amlevin

The background is discussed here:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?59740-Stopped-at-GUNPOINT

The only announcements so far have been here, and on my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Port-Angeles-WA/J-Andrew-Lauer-Attorney-at-Law/195597379214

I plan to do some sort of press release soon. I didn't want to say anything until I had the check in hand. I've never actually had to do a press release before, so I'm open to suggestions.

Press releases should be short and as concise as possible. Title should be the result such as "Bellingham Police Settle rather than facing lawsuit?

A brief summary of events leading up to threat of suit. Explanation of what Police did wrong, and what they have agreed to do to prevent it in the future.

End with a statement of what rights citizens have to be free from unlawfull detainment while going about lawful activities.

If it takes more than one 8-1/2 X 11 page, it's too long.

With the Fed's now looking at Seattle PD for their activities, the timing might be great to get your Press Release picked up by Seattle Media as well as Bellingham. Might even send a copy to AP as these cases are popping up all over the country.

sudden valley gunner

Good points, I leave the press stuff up to Drew.

P.S. maybe include the other cases that were won costing cities a lot more money when they went to court as a reason why the city settled.

Last edited: