• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bellingham, WA police pay $1,500 to open carrier

amlevin

I am giving all my proceeds to fight Josh's case and hope Drew nails their asses to the wall.

+1

A fine move.

AnimatedClapplingHands.gif

Much applause warranted.

Last edited:

Ruby

Congratulations, SVG and Drew. It is very heartening to know that sometimes we DO win! Very selfless of you to donate your money to help Josh's case, I certainly hope he wins as well. This is probably some of the most important work we will ever do, relevant to our rights. People are beginning to stand up for their rights and demand accountability of their elected officials, LEOs and LEAs, etc. and being led by patriots. It is my hope and prayer that this movement continues to gain momentum in order that there will truly be "justice for all".

Deleted_User

Thanks for your help Drew!!!

It was not ever about the money. I could have pursued a larger settlement and feel confident Drew would have won. I wanted to make sure though there was no non-disclosure agreements and that Drew and I can talk about it freely. I also didn't feel it fair to penalize Bellingham tax payers in this tight time for the LEO's unlawful actions.

What this does for me is make it clear that anytime they bother any OC'er or generally violate 4th amendment rights, they have been duly warned, and will rightfully be taken to the cleaners and hopefully errant police cleaned out.

I am giving all my proceeds to fight Josh's case and hope Drew nails their asses to the wall.

+1,500 A great gesture moving the movement forward! Go get 'em!

Last edited:

jt59

Shrammy?

Maybe we ought to see if Ken Schramm will give the Bellingham police a Shrammy award.:lol:

IMHO, I would encourage a stronger position for settlement whenever we can (OAOA), and agree it's not about the money, and don't think the taxpayers will absorb any legal costs one way or the other....I think that donating the proceeds to the next case on the docket is noble, and if we can get a body of law established, that would be helpful, but does a "settlement" actually do that?

I am hoping that we can make this point with the PCSD in in Pierce County.

It seems to me that at some level, punitive damages are intended to modify behavior on both the intended target and in this situation collaterally as well, so publishing the outcomes will have an impact on the agency and on the leadership beyond a single event that can be recovered with a busy day on I-5 and ten speeding tickets, where is where these cops hopefully have been reassigned :banana:.

We had an invitation to introduce some training in Vancouver after the big event down there. Has anyone been able to follow up on that? This would be good fodder for the training case study's

jt59

Many of you are aware of sudden valley gunner's illegal seizure, at gunpoint, by the Bellingham Police Department. Today I am pleased to announce that he settled his claim against the city. The city has paid $1500, and will be issuing an appropriate open carry training bulletin to its police officers. In exchange, no lawsuit will be filed.

It's not an enormous victory, but it's a victory nonetheless, and it accomplished what SVG set out to do. I am happy to have been of assistance.

Oly, first, good job and thank you!

Can we get a few details of the basis of the settlement claim?

No RAS?
Abuse acting under the color of law?
civil rights (or lack thereof)?

Last edited:

amlevin

Maybe we ought to see if Ken Schramm will give the Bellingham police a Shrammy award.:lol:

IMHO, I would encourage a stronger position for settlement whenever we can (OAOA), and agree it's not about the money, and don't think the taxpayers will absorb any legal costs one way or the other....I think that donating the proceeds to the next case on the docket is noble, and if we can get a body of law established, that would be helpful, but does a "settlement" actually do that?

I am hoping that we can make this point with the PCSD in in Pierce County.

It seems to me that at some level, punitive damages are intended to modify behavior on both the intended target and in this situation collaterally as well, so publishing the outcomes will have an impact on the agency and on the leadership beyond a single event that can be recovered with a busy day on I-5 and ten speeding tickets, where is where these cops hopefully have been reassigned :banana:.

We had an invitation to introduce some training in Vancouver after the big event down there. Has anyone been able to follow up on that? This would be good fodder for the training case study's

Schram would probably give SVG the Schramie for "annoying" the BPD and being a "parasite", sucking hard earned tax dollars from the city purse. Schram is one of those annoying TV/Radio personalities that thinks all gun owners store their guns "in the underwear drawer" and are getting them stolen right and left. THAT's the reason there are so many guns on the street, in the hands of criminals, according to him.

It would be nice if the News Media would pick up on the fact that Bellingham did pay for the arrogance of one or more of their officers. Would be a nice follow-up to the media attention Tom got at Starbucks.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
Thanks guys that means a lot hearing it from you.

After Heller and McDonald it's a whole new ballgame now I think it would be awesome for a good constitutional lawyer like Drew to get us a published case we can refer to if it goes that far.

With Sanders leaving the State Supreme Court, and an Anti-Gun liberal taking his place....

heresolong

With Sanders leaving the State Supreme Court, and an Anti-Gun liberal taking his place....

Dammit! I hadn't seen the final results of this election. How can people overwhelmingly vote to reject new taxes and other assaults on our freedoms through the initiative process, and then kick great judges like Sanders out? Aaarrrgh!