• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Libel

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Why are you asking the administrator of the board to destroy evidence of what may be a criminal, as well as civil, violation?

I would think you would want to preserve the evidence.

Of course, drawing attention to the event will probably result in a significant number of folks asking you for cites to the specific comments and for you to prove your claim of innocence here as well as possibly in a civil or criminal courtroom.

Me? I'm just perversely curious. Who said it, and what did they say? Citations, please.

stay safe.

kwikrnu

Banned
Why are you asking the administrator of the board to destroy evidence of what may be a criminal, as well as civil, violation?

I would think you would want to preserve the evidence.

Of course, drawing attention to the event will probably result in a significant number of folks asking you for cites to the specific comments and for you to prove your claim of innocence here as well as possibly in a civil or criminal courtroom.

Me? I'm just perversely curious. Who said it, and what did they say? Citations, please.

stay safe.

I'm attempting to mitigate my loss by giving notice to the administrator of the forum. John Pierce has either ignored my attempts to notify via by the alert or has not seen the notification.

I have already sued and settled with the local police department which made the original unsubstantiated claim. The cops couldn't prove it and neither can anyone here on this forum.

Last edited:

eye95

We shouldn't be accusing someone of being a criminal unless we have knowledge of a conviction to back it up. Even then, it would only be appropriate if it added to the discussion and wasn't just used to insult the criminal.

That being said, threatening libel is kinda over-the-top. Even if someone won the case, if I understand the law correctly, he'd have to prove monetary damages or show that the poster was malicious in his actions. Otherwise, he wins the case and gets zero dollars for his efforts.

On a message board??? I don't see any monetary damages and, frankly, on a message board, these kinds of insults are dime-a-dozen. They usually come from immaturity, not from malice.

Report the post and move on. If the person cannot ever have a disagreement without hurling insults, ignore him. If the poster keeps up the harassmet, he probably is committing other infractions regularly. Even as patient as John and Mike are, he'll be gone eventually.

However, everyone has their own little "ban hammer," the ignore button. Use it.

kwikrnu

Banned
We shouldn't be accusing someone of being a criminal unless we have knowledge of a conviction to back it up. Even then, it would only be appropriate if it added to the discussion and wasn't just used to insult the criminal.

That being said, threatening libel is kinda over-the-top. Even if someone won the case, if I understand the law correctly, he'd have to prove monetary damages or show that the poster was malicious in his actions. Otherwise, he wins the case and gets zero dollars for his efforts.

On a message board??? I don't see any monetary damages and, frankly, on a message board, these kinds of insults are dime-a-dozen. They usually come from immaturity, not from malice.

Report the post and move on. If the person cannot ever have a disagreement without hurling insults, ignore him. If the poster keeps up the harassmet, he probably is committing other infractions regularly. Even as patient as John and Mike are, he'll be gone eventually.

However, everyone has their own little "ban hammer," the ignore button. Use it.

I have been denied employment because a potential employer looked me up on the internet. He told me he would not hire someone charged with domestic violence. I know the libelous remarks are false, but now I have taken to informing forums where comments have been posted. It won't be hard to prove damages. If John needs a written letter I can do that too.

eye95

I have been denied employment because a potential employer looked me up on the internet. He told me he would not hire someone charged with domestic violence. I know the libelous remarks are false, but now I have taken to informing forums where comments have been posted. It won't be hard to prove damages. If John needs a written letter I can do that too.

I strongly doubt it would be from OCDO message board comment. If it were, it would be extremely hard to prove unless the person who denied you the job says he did so solely based on the comments on OCDO.

There is enough information about you on the Internet that I would never hire you, convicted as a criminal or not. I think it is one heckuvan assumption that a single person's off-handed remark on a message board that you immediately deny, demanding proof, resulted in your not getting a job.

Still, without proof, the person should never have made the post and it should be deleted. However, making a big stink about it is unwise. It gets folks talking about what you HAVE done, and that won't help you land a job.

I recommend what I did in the other post. Report it. Send private messages to John or Mike. Keep reporting it until the posts are deleted or the admins tell you it won't be. But don't air your dirty laundry in public.

If I were you, I'd ask the admins to delete this thread too.

kwikrnu

Banned
I strongly doubt it would be from OCDO message board comment. If it were, it would be extremely hard to prove unless the person who denied you the job says he did so solely based on the comments on OCDO.

There is enough information about you on the Internet that I would never hire you, convicted as a criminal or not. I think it is one heckuvan assumption that a single person's off-handed remark on a message board that you immediately deny, demanding proof, resulted in your not getting a job.

I wasn't told which forum, but if John wants to be party to a suit all he need do is refuse to delete the comments.

eye95

I wish you luck. However, I think you will fail miserably in your lawsuit. But, have at it.

Anyway, I've said my piece and will return you whence you came.

ChiangShih

Lol, this is pathetic, imo. You're getting touch over a comment you know to be untrue. Deal with it, it is the internet. Also the idea that a potential employer found you through your OCDO screen name, read through all of your threads, then denied you employment based on an offhand comment of an unnamed 3rd party is ridiculous. A sad attempt to convince a mod to remove the comment.

Welcome to the internet sir, grow a thicker skin or unplug.

kwikrnu

Banned
Lol, this is pathetic, imo. You're getting touch over a comment you know to be untrue. Deal with it, it is the internet. Also the idea that a potential employer found you through your OCDO screen name, read through all of your threads, then denied you employment based on an offhand comment of an unnamed 3rd party is ridiculous. A sad attempt to convince a mod to remove the comment.

Welcome to the internet sir, grow a thicker skin or unplug.

Please post your name and address and give me permission to libel you across the internet. If it's no big deal as you state.

I do not mind an argument, but these defamatory posts have taken their toll on me to the point I will no longer put up with it.

ChiangShih

Please post your name and address and give me permission to libel you across the internet. If it's no big deal as you state.

I do not mind an argument, but these defamatory posts have taken their toll on me to the point I will no longer put up with it.

From what I read the individual who insulted only directed it at your user name, so you have all the information you need to libel me. Go ahead :D

As I stated before, get over it. You should have learned how to deal with verbal bullies in grade school. You're rubber their glue, sticks and stones and all that mess.

kwikrnu

Banned
From what I read the individual who insulted only directed it at your user name, so you have all the information you need to libel me. Go ahead :D

As I stated before, get over it. You should have learned how to deal with verbal bullies in grade school. You're rubber their glue, sticks and stones and all that mess.

It is well known who I am. In the real world bullies are dealt with by using libel lawsuits.

eye95

really? I have no idea what your real name is.

Most of us do. I won't post it here. He manages to the attention he seems to desire, so his real name has been mentioned numerous times as part of situations that I, for one, would not be proud to be part of. He seems to be though. *shrug*

Legal disclaimer: I'm not saying that he is a criminal.

sultan62

Most of us do. I won't post it here. He manages to the attention he seems to desire, so his real name has been mentioned numerous times as part of situations that I, for one, would not be proud to be part of. He seems to be though. *shrug*

Legal disclaimer: I'm not saying that he is a criminal.

+1. Everything kwik has said here in this thread is true. Even if you are of a mind that "he asked for it" or some such thing, the fact is, he broke no laws, and he has been libeled against. However, I do not believe the blame at all falls to John, Mike, or administrators of any website/forum unless they specifically made the libelous comments.

IANAL.

eye95

+1. Everything kwik has said here in this thread is true. Even if you are of a mind that "he asked for it" or some such thing, the fact is, he broke no laws, and he has been libeled against. However, I do not believe the blame at all falls to John, Mike, or administrators of any website/forum unless they specifically made the libelous comments.

IANAL.

While I would not say that he is a criminal, neither would I say that he broke no laws. One can break laws yet avoid the moniker criminal. I don't know that he is or is not a criminal. I don't know that he has or has not broken any laws.

Although, I must say, I wonder. A lot.