• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For those with small children - where do you keep your home defense firearm?

Toad

Founder's Club Member
There is a lot of truth in the phrase I heard a while back:
Gun proof your children don't child proof your guns.

My little one is 'gun proofed' and I could leave it anywhere and she would do nothing with it. The mystery is completely gone for her.
We have even tested her <avoid_idiot_response> yes it was unloaded </avoid_idiot_response> by leaving them in areas around the house. She just left it where it was and thought nothing of it or let us know.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Find a spot high enough to be out of reach for the tot. As soon as she is old enough start introducing her to it. Don't make it taboo. That will peak curiosity. When your wife babysits, just lock it up.

Excellent answer Rod! That's what we do with our nephew and niece. He's actually old enough to get chairs and investigate, so we take the next step and lock it in either the big safe or the nightstand safe. The only one(s) that are ever loaded are the one on my person and/or my wife's which would also be on her person. Everything else has barrel flags and is locked in a safe somewhere.

We've taught him that if he happens to somehow find one or gets in my range bag:
Stop.
Don't touch.
Leave the area.
Get a responsible adult.
Ask to lock it up.

He's really good about this and once he figured it all out he wanted to show his dad what he had learned. Such an intelligent and proud little guy.

Eddie Eagle videos have been a wonderful tool to reinforce these concepts too.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

did you spray em a bit just to make sure they would not be surprised?

Nopers, that would be child abuse IMO.

Someone asked what age is old enough for a child to use a firearm in a home defense situation...someone had answered this a time ago on here. I would say the "right" age is when the individual child is competent with a firearm.

markand

In a holster, or in a lock box or safe..

My kids at 22 and 24 are all grown up, or at least they think they are. When they were smaller, the self-defense handgun of the moment was always kept either in a holster on my belt, or in a lock box bolted to the bed or in the safe. I never left guns out loaded or unloaded. I also taught firearm safety to the kids at a very young age. When they were about 9 and 11 I started taking them to the range and let them shoot the .22 Ruger and a .22 rifle, larger caliber guns at they got older. They also helped with cleaning the guns from time to time. Learning a healthy respect for firearm at a young age is a major plus in life, IMHO.

Now that they're out of the house, at night I move the handgun and ammo from the belt holster on the pants to an identical holster on a Velcro belt near the bed. I can quickly put this on over PJ's or whatever if the need so arises.

wrightme

My kids at 22 and 24 are all grown up, or at least they think they are. When they were smaller, the self-defense handgun of the moment was always kept either in a holster on my belt, or in a lock box bolted to the bed or in the safe. I never left guns out loaded or unloaded. I also taught firearm safety to the kids at a very young age. When they were about 9 and 11 I started taking them to the range and let them shoot the .22 Ruger and a .22 rifle, larger caliber guns at they got older. They also helped with cleaning the guns from time to time. Learning a healthy respect for firearm at a young age is a major plus in life, IMHO.

Now that they're out of the house, at night I move the handgun and ammo from the belt holster on the pants to an identical holster on a Velcro belt near the bed. I can quickly put this on over PJ's or whatever if the need so arises.
Well, other than "what are PJ's?", I like this idea! Had not thought of it. Know of a good source, or a reasonable suggestion for one?

kwikrnu

Banned
I keep my firearms locked up all of the time. I keep all ammunition stored seperately and locked too. That way when the JBTs break down my door I know they won't bust me on child endangerment charges like they did jp49911, then later drop all charges. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

confedneck

On top of the cabinet and under the mattress. Sometimes IN the cabinet. Our bedroom door is always locked if we're not in there.

Sonora Rebel

That is actually a myth that's become very popular in the firearms community. Although most fights that involve a shotgun end within two rounds, the sound of the action cycling a round in the chamber does nothing to deter a criminal.

BULLSNORT! The psychological effect of racking a 12 ga within earshot of a BG has an IMMEDIATE effect. 'Having done so on several occasions, it gets their full and undivided attention. Whatever mischief they were contemplating dissapates in an instant. You may take your chances against a handgun or even a rifle, but at close-range, the 12 ga pump shotgun is the most lethal small arm ever devised.

since9

Campaign Veteran
"small children" = "little or no sense of what's dangerous and what's not and/or routinely fail to follow directions or warnings"

Result: Firearm will ALWAYS be either in my holster AND on my person or locked in a safe incapable of being opened by the youngin'(s) even with the key.*

It will NEVER be laid down anywhere in the house, regardless of location or duration of time. The only exception to that might be "under my pillow while I'm sleeping," but I'm a light sleeper. I wouldn't recommend this for heavy sleepers, as little ones love to crawl into bed with their parents. I always stuck my hands beneath Mom's or Dad's pillow to keep my hand warm.

*My gun safe has two keys, one physical, and one memorized (keypad)

HankT

State Researcher
"small children" = "little or no sense of what's dangerous and what's not and/or routinely fail to follow directions or warnings"

Good conclusion. Kids are unreliable. They do stoopid stuff all the time. If we are talking about a group of children, it is probabalistically certain that some will do something fatally stoopid.

Keep kids away from the home self-defense armament. They cannot shoot themselves in the head if they can't get at the ole pistolas.

I will give an example of responsible children. My partner and I will go out to dinner together. I had taught the kids a couple of years ago to use pepper spray. We leave a huge canister of it in a specific area. They have been instructed what to do in a break-in situation, one of those things is utilizing that canister. I even went into detail about how it feels to get sprayed and how they should stay calm if they ever had to use it an got back spray...with my oldest two I have explained the psychological response that occurs when pepper spray hits a person in the face...aside from it being uncomfortable, panic sets in with the sensation of not being able to breath...I remind them that they might feel as though they can't breath, but they are able to and will be fine.

Over the past three years that canister has not been played with...the pin is still intact and the canister sits, waiting to be used for its intended purpose, to blind intruders.

This is what is called: "a poor sample of one."

Dangerous to generalize from...

Last edited:

wrightme

Good conclusion. Kids are unreliable. They do stoopid stuff all the time. If we are talking about a group of children, it is probabalistically certain that some will do something fatally stoopid.
Keep kids away from the home self-defense armament. They cannot shoot themselves in the head if they can't get at the ole pistolas.

Nope. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here. It isn't "probablistically certain" at all.

HankT

State Researcher
HankT said:

Nope. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here. It isn't "probablistically certain" at all.

Of course it is, wrigthtme. Here's some support for my statement.

To paraphrase ole Art Linkletter, "Kids do the darndest things."

I hope and pray the kid doesn't lose his arm . . .

7-Year-Old Boy Accidentally Shoots 3-Year-Old Brother
Posted: 12/6/2010

The worst case scenario happened at a Cadillac apartment complex Monday morning, a 3-year-old accidentally shot by his older brother.

Police say the 7-year-old boy climbed into a kitchen cupboard where his parents hid ammunition. He took the ammo and went into a separate room and loaded a long arm hunting rifle. While playing with his father's rifle, he accidentally shot his younger brother in the arm.

The 3-year-old is currently in a Grand Rapids hospital. His parents say he's in stable condition, but they're not sure if he'll be able to keep his arm.

This is obviously a scary situation for the family, but the good news is the boy will survive.

Police say the parents did take steps to keep the rifle out of their children's reach. They kept the rifle and ammunition in separate rooms and areas of the apartment, but one issue--they didn't have a gun safe or a gun lock.

9&10's Cali O'Rourke and photojournalist Jeff Blevins spoke to police about the shooting

http://www.9and10news.com/Category/Story/?id=275266&cID=1

wrightme

The worst case scenario happened at a Cadillac apartment complex Monday morning, a 3-year-old accidentally shot by his older brother.

Police say the 7-year-old boy climbed into a kitchen cupboard where his parents hid ammunition. He took the ammo and went into a separate room and loaded a long arm hunting rifle. While playing with his father's rifle, he accidentally shot his younger brother in the arm.

The 3-year-old is currently in a Grand Rapids hospital. His parents say he's in stable condition, but they're not sure if he'll be able to keep his arm.

This is obviously a scary situation for the family, but the good news is the boy will survive.

Police say the parents did take steps to keep the rifle out of their children's reach. They kept the rifle and ammunition in separate rooms and areas of the apartment, but one issue--they didn't have a gun safe or a gun lock.

9&10's Cali O'Rourke and photojournalist Jeff Blevins spoke to police about the shooting

http://www.9and10news.com/Category/Story/?id=275266&cID=1

None of which makes it "probablistically certain," which was your hyperbole.

HankT

State Researcher
HankT said:

http://www.9and10news.com/Category/S...d=275266&cID=1

None of which makes it "probablistically certain," which was your hyperbole.

Wrightme, have you ever heard of the law of truly large numbers?