• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did you send a letter to your state Representatives?

bigdaddy1

Post your letter to your congress representative here. We all have good ideas, and if there in one spot maybe someone who isn't sure what to write will get their inspiration here. I posted in another thread the letter I sent to Tim Carpenter (R), here is the letter I sent to Peggy Krusick (D, anti-gun). There are some subtle differences I put in this one as she is not a supporter of our rights.

Dear Senator Krusick;

I am writing to you regarding my right of self protection, the second amendment of the United States and our own state Constitution. The right to keep and bear arms was so important to our forefathers they chose to make it second only to the right to our freedom of speech. The right to keep and bear arms has been recently affirmed by the Supreme Court of the United States as a guaranteed right. For many years government has been restricting this right more and more, making it nearly impossible for the average citizen to exercise this guaranteed right. It is my understanding that the Wisconsin Senate members are contemplating a concealed carry permit system for Wisconsin that would require special licensing and mandatory training. I do not agree with this action as no other right guaranteed by our Constitution requires any type of license or training. Currently we are legally able to carry firearms openly with out a license, registration or any mandated training, so to make it a requirement now would be against our own Constitution and a reversal of rights we already have. Making these requirements degrades the right to a privilege. The right of self defense should never become a privilege. I believe the best position for Wisconsin to take would be constitutional carry, where the constitution is the only documentation needed to exercise our guaranteed right to keep and bear arms. If a citizen is legally able to purchase a firearm, that person should be able to carry where ever and how ever he or she feels is necessary.

When criminals have greater rights than victims, there is a serious problem. A problem Wisconsin currently has. Wisconsin needs to enact a castle doctrine so the citizens of this state can defend themselves from violent criminals and not fear reprisal or a civil suit. The right of self protection is not limited to the household, and neither should our rights. I should have the right to protect myself where ever I may legally be. Feel good laws like the gun free school zone do nothing to prevent criminals from carrying guns, but only restrict the honest law abiding citizens. I should be able to walk out of my yard in my own neighborhood armed with out risk of arrest and a felony charge just because there is a school within a quarter mile from my home. Car jacking and kidnapping are real threats in todays world, we deserve the right to protect ourselves when driving also. Laws that prevent concealed carry and restrictive transportation laws were put into place to protect the police, but left the citizens they are sworn to protect at risk and defenseless. I would hope as a representative of the people of Wisconsin it would be your intent to protect your constituents and their rights.

In closing, I would ask you to look toward states such as Vermont, Arizona and Alaska that currently have constitutional carry in place, and states like Utah and Texas that are poised to approve it this year. The right to keep and bear arms must be protected as our forefathers intended, not as our elected bureaucrats choose to allow. It is equally important that we enact laws to reverse the trend of granting greater rights to criminals than the victims they prey upon. Wisconsin should repeal the Constitutionally illegal gun free school zone and apply pressure to the federal government to repeal the law completely. Criminals will not obey these laws, and it is foolish to expect them to. Finally Wisconsin need to eliminate the overly restrictive transportation laws, so law abiding citizens may be able to protect themselves. The right to protect oneself, family or property where ever that person may be should never be a question, but upheld as the right it really is.

Sincerely,
Curt Evers
7th District
Wisconsin

rcav8r

I know my rep (Hebl) is anti-gun. Unfortunately, he got re-elected. That campaign was overshadowed by the governor and national races, so I think that contest went under the radar of most folks.
Based on my other letters regarding firearms to him in the past, I consider it a waste of time to write him, unless I want to gloat :lol:

I honestly don't know where my senator, Miller, stands. Is there a website that will tell you, in plain english, how he voted for various bills?

protias

Mr. Zipperer,

Congratulations on your decisive victory in the 98th District, my district. In addition, congratulations on having a new Republican Governor who can now help with some much needed reforms.

I voted both for you and Governor Walker.

I am writing you to urge you to pursue and support legislation that will bring Wisconsin gun laws into agreement with our Constitution and the will of the people.

1. Repeal Wisconsin Statute 941.23, the concealed carry law. This particular law was passed in the 1800's and has been shown to be in violation of Wisconsin's Article 1, Section 25 of the Constitution, which was passed in 1998. There have been several recent rulings to support this. Judge Jon Counsel, the Circuit Judge in Clark County has ruled it unconstitutional. District Attorney Fox has issued a memo declaring it is unenforceable in Jackson County. http://www.wisconsinappeals.net/wp-c...0/Schultz1.pdf

http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/html/dis...%20Chicago.pdf

2. Repeal 167.31, vehicle carry of a loaded firearm.

3. Repeal 941.235, firearms in public buildings

4. Repeal 941.237, firearms where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption

5. Repeal 941.24, prohibition of switch blades.

Items 2-5 have been deemed unconstitutional in the Jackson County DA's memo as outlined above.

The effect of these changes would be to legalize unlicensed carry of defensive weapons by law-abiding Wisconsin citizens. Of course, as you know, the Wisconsin Republican platform was changed this year to support unlicensed open and concealed carry.

The tsunami that is the Republican takeover in Wisconsin happened because we the people are tired of being taxed and regulated to death. To implement a licensed concealed carry system would require the expense of additional staff both at the state and county level for administration as well as onerous fees for licensing and mandatory training.

AK, AZ and VT have no licensing and training requirement for both open and concealed carry and there have not been any negative results. UT is also considering doing this in 2011 as well.

Here are some additional points which speak for themselves:
  • Governor Walker has already gone on record as willing to sign a simple repeal of 941.23
  • 74% of the residents of this state in a STATEWIDE referendum in 1998 voted the right to carry (article 1 sec 25) into our state constitution, so carry of defensive weapons is a VERY popular political position.
  • 48 states allow concealed carry
  • It is already legal for law-abiding citizens to carry openly in Wisconsin with no permit and no training and 1000's are doing so safely every day. Public safety would not be affected by these people putting on a jacket when it's cold and concealing their weapon.
  • 29 other states allow residents to carry without a permit.
  • Other states allow all law-abiding citizens to carry in the manner of their choosing without any permit (VT, Alaska, and now AZ)
  • The TREND is moving towards more and more states allowing law abiding residents to carry in the manner of their choosing with no permit and no mandatory training.
  • A permit system will fly in the face of smaller government by requiring more government employees/resources to administer a permit system, yet the permit system will be ignored by criminals.
  • A permit fee would be a tax on our Constitutional right to carry that would be a hardship on low-income residents who deserve the same right to self-defense as anyone else.
  • Future anti-rights legislatures could easily raise permit fee's through a simple budget bill to exorbitant levels to effectively stifle the right to carry concealed. History shows us that legislatures change and rights once secured are put on the chopping block. PLEASE protect the law-abiding citizens of Wisconsin as best as you can by NOT leaving a trap-door for future less freedom-minded legislatures to use to deny the right to carry.
  • Recent US Supreme Court decisions have found the right to carry to be a FUNDAMENTAL right. Being a fundamental right, law abiding citizens should not have to register with the government to exercise that right.
In closing, I would just point out that this initiative would match up perfectly with your stated goals of,

• Limiting the size and scope of government
  • Simplifying regulatory and tax policy
  • Putting people first
Thank you very much for your consideration in this matter,

Me

bigdaddy1

I know my rep (Hebl) is anti-gun. Unfortunately, he got re-elected. That campaign was overshadowed by the governor and national races, so I think that contest went under the radar of most folks.
Based on my other letters regarding firearms to him in the past, I consider it a waste of time to write him, unless I want to gloat :lol:

I honestly don't know where my senator, Miller, stands. Is there a website that will tell you, in plain english, how he voted for various bills?

You still need to send them a letter, they represent you in Wisconsin government. If enough people send them letters they will have no choice but to follow the will of the people. Dont assume others will inform them for you.

oak1971

I send them, but both my state senator and assembly persons are Democraps and don't listen to a word I say. Last time I went to the Capitol they were hiding and would not come out and speak to anyone. Scary Tea Party rally and all.

oak1971

I sent one to Wirch, a democrap, who touts his support for "sportsmen" every election.

I have no clue if he supports carry or not. He talks out of both sides of his mouth.

bigdaddy1

I sent one to Wirch, a democrap, who touts his support for "sportsmen" every election.

I have no clue if he supports carry or not. He talks out of both sides of his mouth.

To me when politicians say they support "sportsmen" means I like the money that comes from hunting (licensing etc). Other than that your guns belong in the locker.

oak1971

To me when politicians say they support "sportsmen" means I like the money that comes from hunting (licensing etc). Other than that your guns belong in the locker.

Exactly. I'm stuck here in a lib Democrap district with no end in sight. Barca and Wirch may as well represent the Madison district for how leftist they are.

bigdaddy1

Don't let them beat you before you even get out of the gate. You still need to send them letters, get your neighbors to send them letters, get your pets to send them letters. Flood their offices with letters so they will not be able to ignore their constituents. The biggest thing these politicians fear is being voted out of office. Most will view 1 lost vote as nothing, ten lost votes may make them think, 100 lost votes may make them sweat a bit, but if they think they can loose thousands it will make them take notice. Find out how many voters are in their district. That can be used against them if you think about it.

oak1971

I still give them hell, for all the good it does. This has been heavily democrap area for nigh on 100 years. Old Union mentality still holds sway long after all the factories left town. Now we are flooded by leftist flatlanders from Illinois seeking cheaper housing costs. It's maddening.

Carryon

What are people doing if an official was just elected and had not been in office already? My rep is newly elected, already have a senator that was in office. Thanks.

bigdaddy1

The new reps take office the beginning of the year, in the mean time I'm sure they have some email or other web site set up. Or just wait until they actually take office. As it is doubtfully they will be jumping in on this issue you should be able to wait until they are actually settled in.

BROKENSPROKET

2. Repeal 167.31, vehicle carry of a loaded firearm.

3. Repeal 941.235, firearms in public buildings

4. Repeal 941.237, firearms where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption

5. Repeal 941.24, prohibition of switch blades.

I agree 100% with the repeal of 941.23. But the others you have listed, not so much.

167.31 - Why can't they just exempt a properly holstered handgun?

941.235 - Why can't they exempt restaraunts with a class 'b' liscense. Is that not far enough?

941.237 - I don't think this one should be repealled, but more narrowly tailored where it is just not a blanket prohibition on all government owned buildings.

Carryon

Thanks Bigdaddy1.

Assembly district 32, new person won, haven't found anything for him yet, Tyler August. I will wait, and send one to senator that has email, Neil Kedzie.

safcrkr

If you're talking about State Senator Robert Wirch (D) all I know about him is this:

- twice was on the Senate committee that voted in favor of the PPA (Personal Protection Act... or "shall-issue" CC bill) allowing the bill to move to the senate floor for consideration. He voted yes both times.

- twice voted in favor of passage of the PPA.

- twice voted to over-ride the veto of the PPA by Doyle.

Therefore, the facts are - he has always supported a shall-issue CC permit law for WI in the past.