Thread: Open Carry Culture

Open Carry Culture

Howdy ya'lll, I'm an Arizona boy where open carry is mostly speaking never a problem. I'm a college student at the U of A and am looking for a city to work in as a police officer as I am a Poly Sci major. I was just curious as to what the culture was pertaining to open carry around Colorado as I have truly enjoyed all the time I have spent in you're beautiful state.
    Thanks folks, God bless,

Arizonarugger

scubabeme
    In general, pretty good. Some places are a little friendlier than others. The one MAJOR exception is the City and County of Denver where you would be arrested for open carry due to a "non-decision" on preemption by the courts. I'm sure others will chime in with more detail, but suffice to say that open carry isn't much of an issue here, it's not REAL common, but neither is it unheard of.

Hope you make it to at least visit our fair state. (I'm a CO native, but spent a few years in Tucson, and about one in Phoenix during my USAF career so I have a soft spot in my heart for AZ, too)

With the noted exception of Denver County, OC is well accepted in CO. Particularly true in El Paso County, Colorado Springs area. This is gun country where the Sheriff sends you a personal letter of congratulations--and thanks! when you get your CCW. A cop around here may ask you 'what' you're carrying, not 'why.'

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    With the noted exception of Denver County, OC is well accepted in CO. Particularly true in El Paso County, Colorado Springs area. This is gun country where the Sheriff sends you a personal letter of congratulations--and thanks! when you get your CCW. A cop around here may ask you 'what' you're carrying, not 'why.'
    I do have to ask why Colorado Springs bans OC in government buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    I do have to ask why Colorado Springs bans OC in government buildings.
    They don't, except where metal detectors are set up which is state law--jail, courts, etc. I've never seen a sign banning OC, and of course CC is completely legal except as noted under state law.

You should consider Colorado Springs. It's the last bastion of Conservatism (in a good sized city) in Colorado.

And, from what I remember from the 2008 elections, being a cop here would be pretty sweet, since their salaries are bloated and they typically make a good bit more than the national average.

Quote Originally Posted by ooghost1oo View Post
    You should consider Colorado Springs. It's the last bastion of Conservatism (in a good sized city) in Colorado.

And, from what I remember from the 2008 elections, being a cop here would be pretty sweet, since their salaries are bloated and they typically make a good bit more than the national average.
    If I were young enough to apply, I would.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    They don't, except where metal detectors are set up which is state law--jail, courts, etc. I've never seen a sign banning OC, and of course CC is completely legal except as noted under state law.
    When we were there in April there was a sign on the door to the El Paso County Clerk & Recorders office that said "Display of weapons prohibited." I understand that CC cannot be prohibited but I had to leave my firearm in the car as I did not have a permit to conceal at that time.

Is "Display" a legal term or would it be considered "Brandishing"?

I could not find an El Paso county ordinance for an OC ban. I knew Colorado Springs has a ban in place and when we went to the Clerk & Recorders office(An El Paso County office) I saw the sign and assumed it was legit but maybe the city actually owns the building and the county just has an office there.

Here is the Colorado Springs Ordinance:
    9.7.107: OPEN CARRYING OF FIREARMS:

A.It shall be unlawful for any person to openly carry any firearm within any building owned or leased by the City.

B.The person or persons reporting directly to City Council who have administrative or supervisory authority over any building or specific area owned or leased by the City, including the City Manager, Chief Executive Officer of Colorado Springs Utilities, City Attorney, City Clerk, City Auditor, Municipal Court Administrator, Presiding Judge of the Municipal Court, Memorial Hospital Board of Trustees and their designees, are hereby authorized to post signs at the public entrances to City owned or leased buildings informing the public that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited.

Never seen a sign, but to be honest, I CC most of the time in government buildings and aren't looking for one. Will keep my eyes open next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass View Post
    Is "Display" a legal term or would it be considered "Brandishing"?
    In this context, "display" means "visible." Thus, CC is permissible, except where specifically prohibited by posting or by other prohibitions such as a metal detector required for entry.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    Here is the Colorado Springs Ordinance:
    9.7.107: OPEN CARRYING OF FIREARMS:

A.It shall be unlawful for any person to openly carry any firearm within any building owned or leased by the City.

B.The person or persons reporting directly to City Council who have administrative or supervisory authority over any building or specific area owned or leased by the City, including the City Manager, Chief Executive Officer of Colorado Springs Utilities, City Attorney, City Clerk, City Auditor, Municipal Court Administrator, Presiding Judge of the Municipal Court, Memorial Hospital Board of Trustees and their designees, are hereby authorized to post signs at the public entrances to City owned or leased buildings informing the public that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited.
    This raises two questions:

1. Who owns the Colorado Springs airport?

2. Isn't that pre-empted by state law?