• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT- My first encounter with an anti-and she's my customer!

Ruby

Some of you know that I have a house cleaning business and, due to that, I CC most of the time. I also carry a folding knife in my left pocket and an extra mag in my right pocket. When I have to clean a shower, I remove them from my pockets and put them on a window ledge or other convenient place until I'm done, then put them back in my pockets. Yesterday afternoon I cleaned for a customer who has been with me for about a year and a half and has 2 children, a boy 16, and a girl, 13. I was tired by the time I finished yesterday and forgot to put my knife and mag back in my pockets. I didn't miss them until I got home and got ready for bed. I knew where they were so I wasn't worried. I called her this morning before going to another job and said I had left them and would like to come and pick them up. She said okay. When I got there, she said she wanted to talk to me about it.

She said they really liked my work, but didn't want me bringing my gun or knife in the house. I tried to explain that it was just an emergency piece of equipment, like a spare tire or fire extinquisher. She said she understood but people didn't use those things to kill people. She was very nice, but also very nervous. I told her that my life was a gift from God and that I was responsible to care for it and protect it and that was why I carried a gun. She called my knife a "switchblade" when it's a 4" folding knife. Then she said somewhat aghast that I was alone with her children from time to time, as if having my gun with me was a threat to them. I guess I'm not dangerous if I don't have it with me. Nevermind intent, that got thrown out the window! I could see that I wasn't going to get anywhere, so I didn't say much more. I need the work right now, so I agreed to leave my gun and knife in my car, which is parked about 60-70 feet away. I might as well leave them home for all the good they'll do me there. I was sitting there almost with my mouth open I was so taken aback; the remark about her kids really hurt.

Sorry to make this so long, but I have been upset about this for most of the day. Now I know how those of you who can't carry even concealed at work feel. These people also are quite religious and feel God will protect them and if anything happens, then it was God's will, never mind using the brain He gave you! Where in the world do people get this kind of thinking?!? I have been trying to wrap my mind around this thought pattern all day and I just can't. What reasonable thinking person would refuse to protect their own lives?!? AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!! Makes me want to scream. Just to show you how anti weapons she is, she couldn't even hand me my knife and mag, she put them in a little paper bag and handed that to me! Going on her attitude, I would be willing to bet that there is NO self defense plan in place to protect the family if someone broke in. They do have a dog and that probably helps, but not in all cases.

Again, I apologize for the length, but just needed to vent to people I knew would understand. I will be looking for another customer to replace her in time. The house isn't isolated, but it does have some privacy and is out of town. Thanks for listening to my rant!

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Not to come off as harsh but you have to remember you are on private property and they have their rules.
Concealed means concealed in these circumstances, I suggest something smaller to carry...

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Very sad that you have to endure that in your professional setting...

Again, this is why I own my Keltec P32. It literally can be with me anywhere there is not a metal detector and no one will know.

Ruby

Oh, I told her I respected that it was her house and her rules, no doubt about that. My gun WAS concealed in my purse. She found my mag and knife on the window ledge of the master bath where I had forgotten and left it and deduced from that that I had a gun with me. She nor anyone in her family has ever seen my gun, it stays concealed in my purse. Most of my customers know that I carry and they are fine with it because they know me; some I have been cleaning for for years. If I hadn't forgotten and left the mag and knife, she never would have known.

FMCDH

You left two potentially dangerous items sitting unsecured in an employers house, with children, and you are surprised by her reaction? Especially after you didn't request her permission to bring those items with you onto her property as part of your employment contract with her?

While the full reasoning behind her decision is flawed in my view, she had every right to ask you to leave your gun, mag and knife in your car as you had just shown to her that you may not be able to be trusted to keep those items secure. Is she to assume that you will never do anything like that again, or perhaps, as a stretch, that you wont leave your firearm sitting about next time?

Trust is earned, and you didn't earn it in this situation. You failed in your responsibility as a guest/employee in someones home to keep your personal protective items secured.

You have no-one to blame but yourself in my opinion. As an alternative for next time, try securing your items in a purse, a backpack or other personal, close-able item that you wont forget to take with you when you leave.

my .02 cents

Ruby

Again, this is why I own my Keltec P32. It literally can be with me anywhere there is not a metal detector and no one will know.

I can't do that, I gave her my word that I wouldn't bring a weapon in her house. I am an honest person and people trust my word; once I give it, I don't go back on it. I will find another customer, hopefully soon, or a part time job, (probably can't carry on it either) and then no longer clean for her.

The Brady Campaign has done it's job well, at least on some people.

Hammer

Too bad about the oversight that got you "outed"
Where I work is a declared gun-free zone, to include the parking lot. I can be fired instantly if they discover a firearm so much as locked in my vehicle on co. property.
I feel your pain, but at least you get to keep your pistol close enough to carry to your next place.

I gotta wonder if those folk ever think that God would like them to use common sense and/or protect themselves and family from the deeds of the evil one(s)

Hang in there, maybe you'll get a customer base that will allow you to become more discretionary as to your working conditions....

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Certainly your stance is respected. I think you should consider the P32 (or similar) gun for future times where the ultimate discretion is warranted.

I can't do that, I gave her my word that I wouldn't bring a weapon in her house. I am an honest person and people trust my word; once I give it, I don't go back on it. I will find another customer, hopefully soon, or a part time job, (probably can't carry on it either) and then no longer clean for her.

The Brady Campaign has done it's job well, at least on some people.

Go see Champion Arms. If you do I will put in a good word for you with the owners.

Ruby

Certainly your stance is respected. I think you should consider the P32 (or similar) gun for future times where the ultimate discretion is warranted.

Go see Champion Arms. If you do I will put in a good word for you with the owners.

They know me quite well at Champion, I learned to shoot there and was a member. I know Marie and Scott somewhat. I appreciate the offer. I can't buy anything right now. I am having problem with my car, the mechanic thinks it's the head gasket because he found oil in the antifreeze when he changed it today. That only happens if the antifreeze is circulating throught the engine. As far as this car goes, I'm screwed if it's the head gasket; cost more to fix than this old car is worth. And I can't afford to buy another one right now. It's been such a wonderful day!!!

.45ACPaddy

They know me quite well at Champion, I learned to shoot there and was a member. I know Marie and Scott somewhat. I appreciate the offer. I can't buy anything right now. I am having problem with my car, the mechanic thinks it's the head gasket because he found oil in the antifreeze when he changed it today. That only happens if the antifreeze is circulating throught the engine. As far as this car goes, I'm screwed if it's the head gasket; cost more to fix than this old car is worth. And I can't afford to buy another one right now. It's been such a wonderful day!!!

PM me with the make and model of car... I may be be able to change the head gasket.

Ruby

Not to come off as harsh but you have to remember you are on private property and they have their rules.
Concealed means concealed in these circumstances, I suggest something smaller to carry...

My gun WAS concealed in my purse as it always is when I am working, so size would make no difference. It was a spare mag and my knife that she saw.

amzbrady

Ruby, I wished I still lived over on that side of the hill. I would take a look at it for you. I want to suggest, if you have someone who is a little knowledgable and can follow directions. There is a product that could seal the head gasket and cost about $30 We had several customers who in the same situation who could not afford the proper repair and the car was not worth the money but we used this product (K&W: Permanent Head Gasket & Block Repair ) It worked on 90% of the vehicles and only had one that didnt last over a year. NOTE* you have to follow the directions to the letter. Hope this helps and Good luck Ruby.

edited to say... You can get this at most any auto parts store.

Last edited:

Deleted_User

Some of you know that I have a house cleaning business and, due to that, I CC most of the time. I also carry a folding knife in my left pocket and an extra mag in my right pocket. When I have to clean a shower, I remove them from my pockets and put them on a window ledge or other convenient place until I'm done, then put them back in my pockets. Yesterday afternoon I cleaned for a customer who has been with me for about a year and a half and has 2 children, a boy 16, and a girl, 13. I was tired by the time I finished yesterday and forgot to put my knife and mag back in my pockets. I didn't miss them until I got home and got ready for bed. I knew where they were so I wasn't worried. I called her this morning before going to another job and said I had left them and would like to come and pick them up. She said okay. When I got there, she said she wanted to talk to me about it.

She said they really liked my work, but didn't want me bringing my gun or knife in the house. I tried to explain that it was just an emergency piece of equipment, like a spare tire or fire extinquisher. She said she understood but people didn't use those things to kill people. She was very nice, but also very nervous. I told her that my life was a gift from God and that I was responsible to care for it and protect it and that was why I carried a gun. She called my knife a "switchblade" when it's a 4" folding knife. Then she said somewhat aghast that I was alone with her children from time to time, as if having my gun with me was a threat to them. I guess I'm not dangerous if I don't have it with me. Nevermind intent, that got thrown out the window! I could see that I wasn't going to get anywhere, so I didn't say much more. I need the work right now, so I agreed to leave my gun and knife in my car, which is parked about 60-70 feet away. I might as well leave them home for all the good they'll do me there. I was sitting there almost with my mouth open I was so taken aback; the remark about her kids really hurt.

Sorry to make this so long, but I have been upset about this for most of the day. Now I know how those of you who can't carry even concealed at work feel. These people also are quite religious and feel God will protect them and if anything happens, then it was God's will, never mind using the brain He gave you! Where in the world do people get this kind of thinking?!? I have been trying to wrap my mind around this thought pattern all day and I just can't. What reasonable thinking person would refuse to protect their own lives?!? AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!! Makes me want to scream. Just to show you how anti weapons she is, she couldn't even hand me my knife and mag, she put them in a little paper bag and handed that to me! Going on her attitude, I would be willing to bet that there is NO self defense plan in place to protect the family if someone broke in. They do have a dog and that probably helps, but not in all cases.

Again, I apologize for the length, but just needed to vent to people I knew would understand. I will be looking for another customer to replace her in time. The house isn't isolated, but it does have some privacy and is out of town. Thanks for listening to my rant!

This was a hard read, but I understand. Being a "man of the cloth" I've heard stories about people saying how God will protect them and all. God helps those that help themselves IMHO. If my life is a gift from God, I's want to protect it. I carry in the pulpit and will continue to do so until I am called home. That being said, it's rough on how most view guns as weapons to kill rather than their true use.

Ruby, I have been pondering ... I may need someone to come clean my place in the future. Hell, feel free to OC. guns are welcome, and suggested in my neighborhood :)

Ruby

Ruby, I wished I still lived over on that side of the hill. I would take a look at it for you. I want to suggest, if you have someone who is a little knowledgable and can follow directions. There is a product that could seal the head gasket and cost about $30 We had several customers who in the same situation who could not afford the proper repair and the car was not worth the money but we used this product (K&W: Permanent Head Gasket & Block Repair ) It worked on 90% of the vehicles and only had one that didnt last over a year. NOTE* you have to follow the directions to the letter. Hope this helps and Good luck Ruby.

edited to say... You can get this at most any auto parts store.

Thanks, AMZ, I appreciate the info. What started this off was back during the summer I noticed that the fluid level in the reservoir went down a couple of times, but I never saw any evidence of a leak and nothing on the ground. When I took it in, they thought at first it might be a leak in the radiator. When the level went down, I didn't have any antifreeze with me, so I put water in it, which diluted it of course. Because of that, he didn't want to open the pet cock for fear he wouldn't be able to seal it back up. So he drained the radiator through the hose, saw bits of the stuff you use to seal a leaking radiator, along with some oil. I guess it was a mess. I had it done today because of the cold temps that are coming our way. They filled it up with new antifreeze and told me to keep an eye on it, which is what I am doing. It's difficult to use the bus system because I am at a different house each day. I do appreciate all the suggestions. Thanks!

Ruby

This was a hard read, but I understand. Being a "man of the cloth" I've heard stories about people saying how God will protect them and all. God helps those that help themselves IMHO. If my life is a gift from God, I's want to protect it. I carry in the pulpit and will continue to do so until I am called home. That being said, it's rough on how most view guns as weapons to kill rather than their true use.

Ruby, I have been pondering ... I may need someone to come clean my place in the future. Hell, feel free to OC. guns are welcome, and suggested in my neighborhood :)

Thanks, Goose. You let me know when you want some cleaning done. I do an excellent job and I have references!!:lol:

Ruby

I can't tell you all how touched I am by all the suggestions, caring, and support. We really ARE family on here and we really do care about each other. You all have made me feel better about all this and have brightened up my evening! I stand behind all of you as well. Thank you for being there and encouraging me, my friends.

.45ACPaddy

I've compiled a list of parts and prices if the head gaskets need to be replaced in Ruby's car. I also have a guide on how to perform the work. In terms of tools, I may be slightly ill-equipped. I have a jack and a socket set, but I may need a torque wrench as well. If anyone here is experienced in this type of work or has the tools, let me know.

Metalhead47

I've compiled a list of parts and prices if the head gaskets need to be replaced in Ruby's car. I also have a guide on how to perform the work. In terms of tools, I may be slightly ill-equipped. I have a jack and a socket set, but I may need a torque wrench as well. If anyone here is experienced in this type of work or has the tools, let me know.

Bad situation all around Ruby, but don't even worry about the car, we'll get you fixed up one way or the other. I'm what, third or fourth in line to offer my help at this point? :cool: I have a very messy but fairly well-equipped shop available. Torque wrenches, air tools, jackstands galore. I usually don't end up with extra bits left over after a procedure either. Usually.

ETA: Of course that would mean schlepping the car to Whidbey. But worst-case scenario I have a flatbed trailer too.

Last edited:

.45ACPaddy

Sounds like it might be worth the trip up there!

I've acquired a newer vehicle recently that runs like a top, but my old car, a 95 Honda Civic, has a surging idle. Any idea?

BTW: To make this OC related, I OC when I repair my car!

Metalhead47

Sounds like it might be worth the trip up there!

I've acquired a newer vehicle recently that runs like a top, but my old car, a 95 Honda Civic, has a surging idle. Any idea?

BTW: To make this OC related, I OC when I repair my car!

Any ijit lights on? I'd offer my scan tool, but any auto parts store can do the same for you minus the schlep, no charge. And my blanket advice for an engine acting funny is run a can of Seafoam thru it.