• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winchester Ranger-T 9mm +P+

Nevada carrier

So today, I purchased a Taurus PT709 Slim for my girlfriend. She had a frightening experience in downtown Las Vegas when leaving work one night and said, "it's time for me to get a CCW and carry a firearm."

So together, we went to a store and this was what she settled on. Now I know that (mm is a perfectly good defensive round, but it's a bit smaller than I'm accustom to), so I decided to also order her a box of Winchester Ranger-T 127 grain 9mm +P+.

I know she can handle pretty much any caliber from taking her shooting with my .40 and .45 handguns, so recoil isn't a problem for her. My question though, is can this +P+ ammo make up for the disadvantage of lower caliber? Also, will +P+ damage the firearm? Can anyone point me to good data that shows the difference between a standard 9mm round and something like the higher end Ranger-T +P+ ammo that I Ordered for her?

palerider116

I wouldn't say that you or anyone else is in a disadvantage carrying a 9 millimeter. There are plenty of American soldiers in the graves from World War 1 and 2 from this round. If she shoots a 9mm well and feels comfortable with it, then she will find it will suit her well in most self-defense situations. All of the common semi auto rounds (9mm, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP), with proper shot placement and a reliable modern JHP will do the job.

As for Taurus PT709 Slim, it is not rated for 9mm +p+ because there is no SAAMI rating for a +P+ cartridge. The Smith and Wesson M&P manual even warns firearm owners not to use it. If you choose to use this +P+ ammo, do so with caution.

That being said, Winchester Ranger T is an excellent type of JHP. I also recommend Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, and Remington Golden Saber.

The only disadvantage a 9 millimeter poses is the risk of injury or death to an attacker. :D

Nevada carrier

I wonder if I were to contact ammunitiontogo.com if they would change my order to the standard pressure 147gr Ranger-T XST since my order hasn't shipped just yet.

It seems that I was unaware of the inherently high MV of a typical 9mm round and the advancements that have been made in 9mm ballistics over the years. I guess when you get used to seeing .40 and .45, a 9mm just looks unimpressive though it is a perfectly viable caliber.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
The RA9TA Winchester Ranger load (127gr +P+) is pretty hot. It generates 42,000 psi and I would bet your new Taurus is not built to handle that sort of pressure. Please check your owner's manual before using this round. There are a few pistols which can handle this load but don't take chances. Make sure whether or not her new pistol can.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I wonder if I were to contact ammunitiontogo.com if they would change my order to the standard pressure 147gr Ranger-T XST since my order hasn't shipped just yet.

It seems that I was unaware of the inherently high MV of a typical 9mm round and the advancements that have been made in 9mm ballistics over the years. I guess when you get used to seeing .40 and .45, a 9mm just looks unimpressive though it is a perfectly viable caliber.

The Federal 147gr +P HST is a fine load and one you might want to consider as an option.

Nevada carrier

After some thought, I decided to contact A2G to find out i it was too late to change my order. Thankfully, they hadn't shopped it yet, so they will be switching me to the Winchester Ranger Talon 147 gr T-series.

OldCurlyWolf

Don't go with the 147 since the increased mass contributes to increased penetration and at close range can lead to a "through and through".

Go with 115-125 grain hollow points with as large an opening as will reliably feed.

The Remington 115 gr. JHP's will feed through almost anything that will feed hardball, but the opening is quite small.
:p

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Don't go with the 147 since the increased mass contributes to increased penetration and at close range can lead to a "through and through".
p

Over 70% of shooting are 10 ft. or less...over-penetration should always be considered, regardless of caliber. *retracted original line*

We should have a trajectory thread.

Last edited: