• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yet Another "What Should I Have Done"

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
A similar incident (not exactly but man with a gun in hand) occurred in Spokane recently, where an armed businessman responded with a gun in hand and things escalated to him being shot and died.
I am not sure if the investigation found the Officer at fault here as some evidenced he claimed did not pan out but that is not the issue.
The man responded with gun in hand and is no longer with us.

The looming issue at hand is we must use great care of not going to the firearm for resolution in all cases, it is a tool of last resort.

Last edited:

XD45ZX10R

I think even if I could go back, I still wouldn't take the time to holster it. I carry in a SERPA threaded onto my belt. It's not exactly a 10 second process to put the holster on and get in the exact position it is in every time I shoot and practice.

I'm not even sure if they could see the gun with the massive amount of light my TK40 puts out. Once I created distance between us, I turned slightly so by body blocked sight of the gun. I would have holstered if possible at this point, but certainly didn't want to put it in my pocket.

I'm not sure what to think about whether the truck was stolen or not. The strange part was it had Idaho plates.

amzbrady

Judging by the way you said they ran away after pushing their car I'd be willing to bet that they stole the car and ran out of gas. Probably wouldn't want to go buy gas somewhere because they'd show up on surveillance video then.

I disagree, I doubt a criminal is going to chance being caught and charged with grand theft auto while pushing a car after being seen commiting another crime. If that was the case I would think they would have fled and found another car to steal. If they are pushing a car I would put my money the fact that you were the closest, and they felt they had the best chance of getting past the anti siphon ball in the filler tube on your vehicle, or they are too stupid to know how hard newer vehicles are to get gas from, OR you have an older vehicle which again would make it the pick of the litter.

Last edited:

FlyerAce128

Sounds like it's time to get a locking gas cap.

What you did sounds reasonable to me, I probably would have called the police or had my friend call, even as an afterthought to report the activity. Also helps to CYA in case they try to call and say you threatened them or something.

amlevin

I disagree, I doubt a criminal is going to chance being caught and charged with grand theft auto while pushing a car after being seen commiting another crime. If that was the case I would think they would have fled and found another car to steal. If they are pushing a car I would put my money the fact that you were the closest, and they felt they had the best chance of getting past the anti siphon ball in the filler tube on your vehicle, or they are too stupid to know how hard newer vehicles are to get gas from, OR you have an older vehicle which again would make it the pick of the litter.

All of what you say is based on the assumption that "criminals" like these are actually SMART.