• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Rookie

blackhawkdown

Today is my second day OCing. Ive had GFP for 2 years and have been CCing since then. Im not sure why it took me so long to get the nerve to OC. Does anyone know a percentage of how many of us there are OCing in Ga? My guess is most people probably have no problems (bothered by LEO) but i wonder how many do? Can any of you share stories if youve run into any issues?

sultan62

Welcome to the forum!

I would say that you are right about most people not having problems with Law Enforcement. I've been carrying for four-five months and haven't had any issues.

Still, you should be prepared for it. Reading these forums will certainly expose you to the problems some others have had.

I'd also encourage you to get active in your state subforum. I don't know how active the Georgia subforum is, but if it is active, you can learn a lot.

Daylen

Today is my second day OCing. Ive had GFP for 2 years and have been CCing since then. Im not sure why it took me so long to get the nerve to OC. Does anyone know a percentage of how many of us there are OCing in Ga? My guess is most people probably have no problems (bothered by LEO) but i wonder how many do? Can any of you share stories if youve run into any issues?

Wonderful!
Not sure what you mean by needing nerve to OC, it took me a year to get the nerve to CC but I found OC completely natural, easy and calming.

sultan62

Wonderful!
Not sure what you mean by needing nerve to OC, it took me a year to get the nerve to CC but I found OC completely natural, easy and calming.

I'll finally be able to legally CC later this week, when I go pick up my CHP. Prior to that it's been mostly OC, and I intend to keep it that way. Now I'll be covered going to SC though. I'm not worried about CC, but I doubt it will be as comfortable.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Still, you should be prepared for it.

+1

There are bad apples in every group. LEOs are just another group. Eventually 'that guy' with a badge will come around...

Be prepared for it, just like you are prepared for the un-badged BGs. You don't have to worry about the good cops, only the bad apples will bother you. The 'prepared for a crappy LEO' is often stifled under the 'leo bashing' rule for the forum, so you may have to read a bit to find out what you want to know. I'm still trying to figure out if actually using your gun to defend yourself from a BG is BG bashing...

Discussions on the topic often seem anti-LEO because the nature of the matter is that you won't have that encounter with a decent LEO, just like you won't get raped by a decent human being...

How do you prepare for an encounter with a LEO that respects your Rights as an Individual American Citizen? You don't have to.

WantsToCarry

Wasn't sure where to put this and I didnt want to start a whole new thread to just bring this up so here goes.

I spoke with a Friend of mine who just got done a Police Course (College..not full time academy or anything) and i asked him about OC. And the only thing he could really think a cop would try to stick you with is Civil Unrest. I looked it up, and Civil unrest was defined as a law enforcement term to depict a group causing problems (To para-phrase) Is this something a LEO could attempt to use? In what i read about the definition of it, Im not a group, Im not brandishing the weapon, and im not here to cause hate and discontent. So im not doing anything wrong if a few people see a weapon and freak out and call the police.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
If there are no laws in your state or area against the open carrying of a sidearm, yet the police might seem to be of a mind to dig up some umbrella charge to cover the arrest of an OC'er, then you clearly do not live in a gun-friendly and gun-lenient location. Find others in your area who have been OC'ing for a while and get their take on it. Also, visit your state's forum on this site and see how OC'ing is viewed and accepted.