Thread: The taxpayers of Allentown just got stuck with an unnecessary $23,500 tab.

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

The taxpayers of Allentown just got stuck with an unnecessary $23,500 tab.

The taxpayers of Allentown just got stuck with an unnecessary $23,500 tab.

That may not be much in a city that treats tax money like the water flowing over the Hamilton Street Dam (proposed new budget: $88.5 million), but it might have been avoided if people paid to enforce the law could be persuaded to obey it themselves.

On Oct. 6, 2008, Jerry Corliss, a law-abiding citizen who then lived in Allentown, was carrying a Glock handgun in a holster when he visited the Home Depot store just off Lehigh Street. It appears that somebody there became hysterical over the idea that anyone not in government might exercise his or her right to bear arms.

Thumbs up Story Here...

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/carp...,318503.column

Good catch Hubert!

And what did the lawyer get? This is what he got: SNIP "I am duty-bound to report that in the $23,500 Corliss settlement, Corliss got $2,500 and Magee's law firm got the rest."
    Last edited by rcawdor57; 11-21-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Added comment.

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    http://www.mcall.com/news/local/carp...,318503.column

Good catch Hubert!

And what did the lawyer get? This is what he got: SNIP "I am duty-bound to report that in the $23,500 Corliss settlement, Corliss got $2,500 and Magee's law firm got the rest."

I wist the victim would've gotten more but at least the city got a nice fine for their incompetence.

Whoda thunk a law abiding person could exercise his Constitutional rights?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Bet they won't try that again.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Exclamation

I bet they don't do that again either but look at this state. How many cities, police departments, etc...have to be sued before they actually leave law abiding people alone?

And what is worse to me is that these very same people who took an Oath to uphold and support the Constitutions are the very same ones who harass, detain and arrest us for exercising those same rights.

Until police officers are held personally responsible not much is ever going to change with rogue officers.

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    I bet they don't do that again either but look at this state. How many cities, police departments, etc...have to be sued before they actually leave law abiding people alone?

And what is worse to me is that these very same people who took an Oath to uphold and support the Constitutions are the very same ones who harass, detain and arrest us for exercising those same rights.

Until police officers are held personally responsible not much is ever going to change with rogue officers.
    It looks like this article is actually for Pennsylvania. Either way though replace the "this state" with "this country" and your spot on.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra469 View Post
    It looks like this article is actually for Pennsylvania. Either way though replace the "this state" with "this country" and your spot on.
    Yes, it is from Allentown, PA but you are correct, it applies to the entire country.

How many hundreds of lawsuits will be filed, dismissed, won, settled, etc and nothing will ever change? Why? Because the police have immunity and they know it. The laws have to change so they are held personally accountable for every illegal act they commit. Once that happens then we can restore our rights in this country.

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Carcharodon View Post
    I wist the victim would've gotten more but at least the city got a nice fine for their incompetence.
    i'm guessing the city didn't pay a dime, but their insurer did.

McX
    wonder what kind of a tab the citizens of madison, and brookfield will be picking up. the loss from time wasted by their lawyers, courts, and other officials wont be measured to be sure.