• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New gun law widens permit holders' rights

Bill Starks

State Researcher
http://www.lemarssentinel.com/story/1682033.html

<snip>
"The new law changes that. There are no restrictions. You can carry it wherever you want, however you want, whenever you want." However, the rule does ban permit holders from carrying a gun if they are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
In Iowa, being under the influence of alcohol is having a blood alcohol concentration of .08.
A private business could set up a policy to prohibit weapons from its property, Van Otterloo said.
"We might see more of those," he said. Places like schools and the courthouse may have policies prohibiting the carrying of guns onto their property.
Also with the new law, Iowa recognizes weapons permits from all other states, Van Otterloo said.

aadvark

The Article may be InCorrect, as, Iowa Law 724.28 seems to Allow CourtHouse Carry as there is NO Iowa Law specifically against it so as long as you are in Compliance with Iowa Law 724.4.

Last edited:

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
The Article may be InCorrect, as, Iowa Law 724.28 seems to Allow CourtHouse Carry as there is NO Iowa Law specifically against it so as long as you are in Compliance with Iowa Law 724.4.

Tell that to the ******* AG Tom Miller. His opinion is that preemption doesn't prevent cities from enacting ordinances against carry for buildings owned or controlled by those governments, such as court houses or gazebos(sp?) in the city owned park.

Aside from that, schools are already no carry zones according to state law, so why would there need to be any local law for it? Oh, that's right, because the locality wants the money from the fines.

The sheriff's need to get their panties out of a bunch about losing their power, which was taken because it was abused, and obey the law. That, or have fun listening to a judge order you to pay in the civil rights law suit you lose.

Sonora Rebel

From what was just posted in the AZ forum... I assumed y'all finally got pre-emptive (no-permit) 'Constitutional Carry'. I'm rather disappointed in what all I've just read (including the comments to the article). I s'pose it's better than is was tho. You should send your Sheriff's down here for a bit of FAM & I training regarding an openly armed citizenry. They're still stuck in 'Mother-may-I, namby-pamby land'.

Robin47

That's good there making headway on the gun Issues, I have mixed feeling on it as I'm wondering
how it effects OCing ? Does that mean you now need a "Permit" to OC ?
Iowa is my home state, I remember when you didn't need no stinking permits.
At 16 years old I could walk with my gun on my side down 3 miles to the local dump and go shooting.
No one was ever at the dump either rarely.
No LEO's freaked out and we just waved at the "Local Police" at that time.
I don't agree with buying permission, to exercise your rights.

Is this "New Permit " for CCW's only ? How does it work for OCing ?

Robin47

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
From what was just posted in the AZ forum... I assumed y'all finally got pre-emptive (no-permit) 'Constitutional Carry'. I'm rather disappointed in what all I've just read (including the comments to the article). I s'pose it's better than is was tho. You should send your Sheriff's down here for a bit of FAM & I training regarding an openly armed citizenry. They're still stuck in 'Mother-may-I, namby-pamby land'.

That's good there making headway on the gun Issues, I have mixed feeling on it as I'm wondering
how it effects OCing ? Does that mean you now need a "Permit" to OC ?
Iowa is my home state, I remember when you didn't need no stinking permits.
At 16 years old I could walk with my gun on my side down 3 miles to the local dump and go shooting.
No one was ever at the dump either rarely.
No LEO's freaked out and we just waved at the "Local Police" at that time.
I don't agree with buying permission, to exercise your rights.

Is this "New Permit " for CCW's only ? How does it work for OCing ?

Robin47

Iowa was close to getting constitutional carry. 45-45 on a vote to repeal chapter 724(the permit system and weapons crimes) in the House. It would have passed, but, personally, I believe that the citizens of this state didn't play their part in contacting their representatives in masses about it. I have no evidence to support that, but comparing what I've read from the supporters of the constitutional carry bill and the supporters of the shall issue bill, it seems that those who were working for the shall issue bill were getting more people to contact their representatives.
In Iowa, you need a permit to carry a firearm, period. Whether it is open of concealed. The only exception is that you may openly carry a firearm in unincorporated areas without a permit.

Now that there is shall issue, hopefully people will stop acting like children and work together to : get the RKBA into our constitution, allow carry on college campuses, allow carry without a permit and get the law to state that DNR cannot make rules about how to carry on vehicles(it's illegal to carry on snowmobiles and atvs).

Robin47

Iowa was close to getting constitutional carry. 45-45 on a vote to repeal chapter 724(the permit system and weapons crimes) in the House. It would have passed, but, personally, I believe that the citizens of this state didn't play their part in contacting their representatives in masses about it. I have no evidence to support that, but comparing what I've read from the supporters of the constitutional carry bill and the supporters of the shall issue bill, it seems that those who were working for the shall issue bill were getting more people to contact their representatives.
In Iowa, you need a permit to carry a firearm, period. Whether it is open of concealed. The only exception is that you may openly carry a firearm in unincorporated areas without a permit.

Now that there is shall issue, hopefully people will stop acting like children and work together to : get the RKBA into our constitution, allow carry on college campuses, allow carry without a permit and get the law to state that DNR cannot make rules about how to carry on vehicles(it's illegal to carry on snowmobiles and atvs).

Iowa needs more activism, keep up the good fight ! Put the word out. Robin47 :)