Thread: A Tale of Two Cities: Delavan PD compared to Madison PD

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar

A Tale of Two Cities: Delavan PD compared to Madison PD

http://www.youtube.com/wisconsincarry

new video uploaded today
    Last edited by Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman; 11-21-2010 at 02:27 PM.
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman View Post
    posted to the book, let the truth be known and heard!

It occurred to me that WCI should have some sort of recognition for businesses & PDs that play nice with open carriers. I'm thinking something like the Milwaukee Fox TV channel does their clean dining awards. If it's an idea the members like, I'll play around with photoshop.

The PD & Starbuck's in Delavan would get the first awards, for this non-response to a non-problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    It occurred to me that WCI should have some sort of recognition for businesses & PDs that play nice with open carriers. I'm thinking something like the Milwaukee Fox TV channel does their clean dining awards. If it's an idea the members like, I'll play around with photoshop.

The PD & Starbuck's in Delavan would get the first awards, for this non-response to a non-problem.
    Not trying to step on your toes here, but I must politely disagree. It should be expected of police departments and their officers to behave and respect the rights of citizens without reward or encouragement.

At my job I show up on time, when I am scheduled to be there, and I perform my duties to a satisfactory level. My rewards are a paycheck and the fact that I still have a job.

Police officers are required to operate within the laws they are assigned to enforce and should be given no special recognition or ego enhancing fluff for performing basic required duties of their job.

To me, offering special recognition to a police department that simply plays by the rules is akin to thanking the schoolyard bully for not beating you up and taking your lunch money.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehighways View Post
    Not trying to step on your toes here, but I must politely disagree. It should be expected of police departments and their officers to behave and respect the rights of citizens without reward or encouragement.

At my job I show up on time, when I am scheduled to be there, and I perform my duties to a satisfactory level. My rewards are a paycheck and the fact that I still have a job.

Police officers are required to operate within the laws they are assigned to enforce and should be given no special recognition or ego enhancing fluff for performing basic required duties of their job.

To me, offering special recognition to a police department that simply plays by the rules is akin to thanking the schoolyard bully for not beating you up and taking your lunch money.
    +1

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
    Excellent video. FWI: "Police" is spelled wrong near the end.
    Liberty or death. We're sorry, there are no other options available at this time..........
    "Safety is the new Liberty, and recklessness is the new Freedom, and alcoholism is the new Doug Huffman."

One has to wonder how one can follow state law and how the other does not.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
    argh... thats the problem with video... you can't run spell check on it and watching it too many times making it, you know what you wrote so you aren't looking close.

Thanks for the catch. Not sure if I'll take the time to re-compile the video or not but...
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by bluehighways View Post

I can see the sense in your arguments. BUT...

I got the idea from a local news channel that sends a reporter & camera into restaurants that have bad health dep't reports & asks what they're doing to fix the problem. Then once a month they give out 2 awards for NOT having any problems.

IMO, the "no problems" situation is what should happen in any restaurant all the time, just as the Delevan PD & Starbuck's response is what should happen when citizens are doing something completely legal & peaceful.

When I get bad service somewhere, I find the manager & complain.
    When I get exceptional service, I find the manager & compliment the employee (with the employee there, if possible).
    Given the problems we've had, and how slowly WI PDs are coming around to following the law, I think giving an "attaboy!" isn't out of line.

But if the WCI membership is against the concept, I won't make up anything official.
    Maybe just write a letter to the Chief mentioning how well the officer handled the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I can see the sense in your arguments. BUT...

I got the idea from a local news channel that sends a reporter & camera into restaurants that have bad health dep't reports & asks what they're doing to fix the problem. Then once a month they give out 2 awards for NOT having any problems.

IMO, the "no problems" situation is what should happen in any restaurant all the time, just as the Delevan PD & Starbuck's response is what should happen when citizens are doing something completely legal & peaceful.

When I get bad service somewhere, I find the manager & complain.
    When I get exceptional service, I find the manager & compliment the employee (with the employee there, if possible).
    Given the problems we've had, and how slowly WI PDs are coming around to following the law, I think giving an "attaboy!" isn't out of line.

But if the WCI membership is against the concept, I won't make up anything official.
    Maybe just write a letter to the Chief mentioning how well the officer handled the situation.
    I see what you are saying. I have talked to the Starbucks folks and thanked them for their good service.

In addition, the Mayor of Delavan goes to my church and we have discussed OC quite a bit. I haven't talked to him about this particular incident as of yet but I will mention it to him.

Maybe what I'll do is send the video link to the chief with a short note?

Once again, I guess there is a balance between rewarding 'normal' behavior and punishing bad behavior.

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
    Police should be changed to: C.A.R.S.: Cant Articulate Reasonable Suspicions

Received this today:

Paul,

Thanks for the invite to your next open carry event. We haven't been able to stop to say hi yet as we've had other things going on when your group is getting together. I took the video you put together and uploaded to youtube, and linked it from the Delavan PD Facebook page. Please feel free to "Like" the page at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...08660432513061 and share with the other members in your organization if they are inclined. Hope all goes well at your Sunday event. Maybe we'll get a chance to stop and have a coffee with you.

Sergeant Todd Wiese
    Delavan Police Department
    They put WCI's video on their Facebook page!!! Awesome!