• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Tale of Two Cities: Delavan PD compared to Madison PD

MKEgal

It occurred to me that WCI should have some sort of recognition for businesses & PDs that play nice with open carriers. I'm thinking something like the Milwaukee Fox TV channel does their clean dining awards. If it's an idea the members like, I'll play around with photoshop.

The PD & Starbuck's in Delavan would get the first awards, for this non-response to a non-problem.

bluehighways

It occurred to me that WCI should have some sort of recognition for businesses & PDs that play nice with open carriers. I'm thinking something like the Milwaukee Fox TV channel does their clean dining awards. If it's an idea the members like, I'll play around with photoshop.

The PD & Starbuck's in Delavan would get the first awards, for this non-response to a non-problem.

Not trying to step on your toes here, but I must politely disagree. It should be expected of police departments and their officers to behave and respect the rights of citizens without reward or encouragement.

At my job I show up on time, when I am scheduled to be there, and I perform my duties to a satisfactory level. My rewards are a paycheck and the fact that I still have a job.

Police officers are required to operate within the laws they are assigned to enforce and should be given no special recognition or ego enhancing fluff for performing basic required duties of their job.

To me, offering special recognition to a police department that simply plays by the rules is akin to thanking the schoolyard bully for not beating you up and taking your lunch money.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Not trying to step on your toes here, but I must politely disagree. It should be expected of police departments and their officers to behave and respect the rights of citizens without reward or encouragement.

At my job I show up on time, when I am scheduled to be there, and I perform my duties to a satisfactory level. My rewards are a paycheck and the fact that I still have a job.

Police officers are required to operate within the laws they are assigned to enforce and should be given no special recognition or ego enhancing fluff for performing basic required duties of their job.

To me, offering special recognition to a police department that simply plays by the rules is akin to thanking the schoolyard bully for not beating you up and taking your lunch money.

+1

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Excellent video. FWI: "Police" is spelled wrong near the end.

argh... thats the problem with video... you can't run spell check on it and watching it too many times making it, you know what you wrote so you aren't looking close.

Thanks for the catch. Not sure if I'll take the time to re-compile the video or not but...

MKEgal

I can see the sense in your arguments. BUT...

I got the idea from a local news channel that sends a reporter & camera into restaurants that have bad health dep't reports & asks what they're doing to fix the problem. Then once a month they give out 2 awards for NOT having any problems.

IMO, the "no problems" situation is what should happen in any restaurant all the time, just as the Delevan PD & Starbuck's response is what should happen when citizens are doing something completely legal & peaceful.

When I get bad service somewhere, I find the manager & complain.
When I get exceptional service, I find the manager & compliment the employee (with the employee there, if possible).
Given the problems we've had, and how slowly WI PDs are coming around to following the law, I think giving an "attaboy!" isn't out of line.

But if the WCI membership is against the concept, I won't make up anything official.
Maybe just write a letter to the Chief mentioning how well the officer handled the situation.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I can see the sense in your arguments. BUT...

I got the idea from a local news channel that sends a reporter & camera into restaurants that have bad health dep't reports & asks what they're doing to fix the problem. Then once a month they give out 2 awards for NOT having any problems.

IMO, the "no problems" situation is what should happen in any restaurant all the time, just as the Delevan PD & Starbuck's response is what should happen when citizens are doing something completely legal & peaceful.

When I get bad service somewhere, I find the manager & complain.
When I get exceptional service, I find the manager & compliment the employee (with the employee there, if possible).
Given the problems we've had, and how slowly WI PDs are coming around to following the law, I think giving an "attaboy!" isn't out of line.

But if the WCI membership is against the concept, I won't make up anything official.
Maybe just write a letter to the Chief mentioning how well the officer handled the situation.

I see what you are saying. I have talked to the Starbucks folks and thanked them for their good service.

In addition, the Mayor of Delavan goes to my church and we have discussed OC quite a bit. I haven't talked to him about this particular incident as of yet but I will mention it to him.

Maybe what I'll do is send the video link to the chief with a short note?

Once again, I guess there is a balance between rewarding 'normal' behavior and punishing bad behavior.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Received this today:

Paul,

Thanks for the invite to your next open carry event. We haven't been able to stop to say hi yet as we've had other things going on when your group is getting together. I took the video you put together and uploaded to youtube, and linked it from the Delavan PD Facebook page. Please feel free to "Like" the page at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Delavan-WI/Delavan-Police-Department/108660432513061 and share with the other members in your organization if they are inclined. Hope all goes well at your Sunday event. Maybe we'll get a chance to stop and have a coffee with you.

Sergeant Todd Wiese
Delavan Police Department

They put WCI's video on their Facebook page!!! Awesome!