• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Turnpikes and rest stops

C-dub

Having family in the Topeka area, I have traveled to and from there and Texas many times, but have not yet OC'd. I've been thinking more and more about it and this might be the time if the weather cooperates. I was thinking about something that might make it easier for me to take this leap. I spend most of my time at my parents' place and OCing there is no problem. We don't go out much since I'm there to see them. However, I do spend a great deal of time driving to and from on the turnpikes. I was wondering if the turnpikes are considered state property and if they are does that mean that OC is legal on them and the rest stops along them? You know, the ones in the middle of both with the McDonald's and gas stations?

C-dub

Really? 251 views and no one knows the answer to this or has an experience in these areas?

Mezmer

I think the best way for you to get the right answer is contact the Kansas Attorney General.

C-dub

Wow! I pop in here about once or twice a month and my question is up to 755 views without one person having any knowledge or experience in the rest stops on the turnpikes. Really?

Applying the recent AG's opinion on public places, so as long as I stay outside I think I'm fine. However, I will probably go into at least one of the McDonald's or stores for a soda and snack. Those are the areas I'm concerned with.

Thanks Mezmer. It looks like I may have to give the AG a try.

Last edited:

tmbrwolf1

OK I'll take a stab at an answer for ya, open carry is no problem at any of the rest stops on the turnpike, just be aware if the place you want to enter is posted or not, my guess is they are not, my travels have mostly traveled from Topeka eastward and I don't recall seeing any signage on rest stops or service areas, for what the signage looks like go here, http://www.ksag.org/files/media/concealed-carry/CCH_Signage_Notice-2011.pdf
The signage is for concealed carry but would also apply to open carry. Since you are coming up from the south keep in mind that Wichita has an ordinance against open carrying of firearms, the good news IIRC Topeka recently repealed of their anti open carry ordinance.

C-dub

Thanks Tmbrwolf1. It is so hot down here in Texas that I'm actually looking forward to the opportunity to OC in a couple of weeks. We don't usually go out very much when we're up there, so I'll probably have to give it my first go at one of the rest stops along the turnpike.

nikerret

The KTA is privately owned. Yes, it is federal Interstate, but it is privately owned. The KHP has a Troop that patrols it and responds to calls. Their equipment and salaries are paid for by the KTA. The State pays the salaries and the KTA repays them. The equipment is all owned by the KTA. The KTA Troopers carry Sigs, the regular Troopers carry GLOCKs.
Look at the rear license plate of a KHP vehicle, it will have a badge and number, on the rear, and on the front, if it is a regular Trooper. The KTA vehicles will have a regular license plate on the back, three numbers and three letters, out of Sedgwick County, as they are privately owned, and the badge and number plate will only be on the front.

Last edited: