Thread: OpenCarry at Dulles Airport

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

OpenCarry at Dulles Airport

The other day I dropped my wife off at the upper level at Dulles Airport. I was OCing as I know the law allows it. I would like to see OC in the non Sterile Area's of the airport too. A buddy of mine overheard me and said something about the TSA being allowed to search me and/or my car and can also prevent me from carrying. I asked him under what authority and he directed me to these links:

1. http://www.aci-na.org/static/entrans...nistration.pdf

2. http://www.afge.org/Index.cfm?Page=T...ocumentID=1867

3. http://securitysolutions.com/news/se...ites_authority

Your thoughts?
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    The other day I dropped my wife off at the upper level at Dulles Airport. I was OCing as I know the law allows it. I would like to see OC in the non Sterile Area's of the airport too. A buddy of mine overheard me and said something about the TSA being allowed to search me and/or my car and can also prevent me from carrying. I asked him under what authority and he directed me to these links:

1. http://www.aci-na.org/static/entrans...nistration.pdf

2. http://www.afge.org/Index.cfm?Page=T...ocumentID=1867

3. http://securitysolutions.com/news/se...ites_authority

Your thoughts?
    Links seems to deal with searching, not prohibition on firearms. Assume you're "searched". So what? (apart from BS that entails... obviously) You're still not violating any state or federal laws, right?
    Last week I OCed at the Newport News International drop off with an Airport PD officer a few feet from me. He seemed very interested in me, but apparently knew I wasn't breaking any laws.
    Last edited by t33j; 11-21-2010 at 05:21 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

"I do not consent to any searches or seizures. If you touch my junk I'll have you arrested."

Feel free to mention the difference between your gun and your sidearm, so they know which one they can fondle.

Eta: if they try to search your vehicle, enjoy the payout from the resulting 4th amendment lawsuit. TSA are agents of the government, and as such, are restricted to when and where they can search you. No RAC or PC then they can go ****.

eta2: very cool. Didn't know acronyms are also censored!
    Last edited by nova; 11-21-2010 at 05:37 PM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    "I do not consent to any searches or seizures. If you touch my junk I'll have you arrested."

Feel free to mention the difference between your gun and your sidearm, so they know which one they can fondle.

Eta: if they try to search your vehicle, enjoy the payout from the resulting 4th amendment lawsuit. TSA are agents of the government, and as such, are restricted to when and where they can search you. No RAC or PC then they can go ****.

eta2: very cool. Didn't know acronyms are also censored!
    My thoughts are Ed....that the TSA is the most dangerous agency in this country. Play games with them and you'll lose.

Nova, the TSA and government agencies both State and Federal have done far worse and as far as I know, no one has had a successful settlement of any consequence. (pertaining to the BS high alert searches)

If this is not stopped it will spread to bridges, tunnels, toll booths....you get the idea.
    Lawsuits are expensive and there are cases pending right here in Va, that won't go to trial because of the cost of litigation.

Don't let your sense of justice overrule reality!

Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority

8.4. Dangerous Weapons Prohibited.
    (1) No person may possess a dangerous weapon within or bring any dangerous weapon
    into the Airports’ terminals...

http://www.mwaa.com/file/pr102504-B.pdf"]http://www.mwaa.com/file/pr102504-B.pdf"]http://www.mwaa.com/file/pr102504-B.pdf

from -
    http://www.metwashairports.com/net/simplesearch.aspx
    Last edited by oldbanger; 11-21-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbanger View Post
    Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority

8.4. Dangerous Weapons Prohibited.
    (1) No person may possess a dangerous weapon within or bring any dangerous weapon
    into the Airports’ terminals...

http://www.mwaa.com/file/pr102504-B.pdf

from -
    http://www.metwashairports.com/net/simplesearch.aspx
    Terminals are off limits according to the VA State Code anyway. Pretty sure this isn't where Ed was talking about carry.
    Last edited by t33j; 11-21-2010 at 07:39 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    Terminals are off limits according to the VA State Code anyway. Pretty sure this isn't where Ed was talking about carry.
    I was just talking about out front. The terminals that can't be carried in are:
    - - -
    Virginia has 72 airports. Only 9 of these 72 airports are classified as "air carrier airports" and are thus affected by the gun ban in 18.2-287.01.

An email from the Office of the Governor, dated June 3, 2004, identified the following as the "air carrier airports" in Virginia:

Reagan National Arlington, VA Charlottesville Regional Charlottesville, VA Dulles InternationalChantilly, VA Lynchburg Municipal Lynchburg, VA Newport News . Williamsburg RegionalNewport News, VANorfolk InternationalNorfolk, VARichmond InternationalRichmond, VARoanoke RegionalRoanoke, VAShenandoah Valley RegionalStaunton, VA
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

I was just talking about out front. The terminals that can't be carried in are:
    - - -
    Virginia has 72 airports. Only 9 of these 72 airports are classified as "air carrier airports" and are thus affected by the gun ban in 18.2-287.01.

An email from the Office of the Governor, dated June 3, 2004, identified the following as the "air carrier airports" in Virginia:

Reagan National Arlington, VA Charlottesville Regional Charlottesville, VA Dulles InternationalChantilly, VA Lynchburg Municipal Lynchburg, VA Newport News . Williamsburg RegionalNewport News, VANorfolk InternationalNorfolk, VARichmond InternationalRichmond, VARoanoke RegionalRoanoke, VAShenandoah Valley RegionalStaunton, VA
    Don't know that I know of an airport not on that list with a proper terminal. I've OCed all over Hampton Roads Executive, Suffolk Municipal, and Wakefield Municipal without issue. No terminals there.
    Last edited by t33j; 11-21-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Nova, the TSA and government agencies both State and Federal have done far worse and as far as I know, no one has had a successful settlement of any consequence. (pertaining to the BS high alert searches)

If this is not stopped it will spread to bridges, tunnels, toll booths....you get the idea.
    Lawsuits are expensive and there are cases pending right here in Va, that won't go to trial because of the cost of litigation.

Don't let your sense of justice overrule reality!
    Usually my sense of realism overrules my optimism... guess it didn't this time

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    My thoughts are Ed... that the TSA is the most dangerous agency in this country.
    You would be hard-pressed to get even a whimper of argument from me on this.

An agency which exists EXTRA-constitutionally (as most of them do) and is operating in constant crisis mode is like dealing with a cornered, wounded animal.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    You would be hard-pressed to get even a whimper of argument from me on this.

An agency which exists EXTRA-constitutionally (as most of them do) and is operating in constant crisis mode is like dealing with a cornered, LARGE, DANGEROUS, GRUMPY, INTRACTIBLE, wounded animal.
    Adjusted for emphasis.

I would like to see OC in the non Sterile Area's of the airport too.
    Your thoughts?...

I was just talking about out front.

Last edited by oldbanger; 11-22-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    It is non-sensical to me that we can carry most other places, but not in the non-sterile areas of the specified air carrier airports. I used to carry regularly (CC) in Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix and have read where some OC there and it only made sense to me to be able to carry. Not being able to carry in the non-sterile area generally requires one to unload and lock up their firearm, rendering it useless, between the parking lots and the actual terminal. In my opinion that is the one place I'd be most likely to need it!

So, where at these nine airports is OC permitted? not permitted?

Shenandoah Valley had an airshow a few weeks ago, and I almost went (they had a P-51C, the kind that my dad flew: I am so sentimental). I would have thought that OC at an airshow was OK, especially since I doubt that I would have had to go through the terminal building to get to the displays.

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    So, where at these nine airports is OC permitted? not permitted?
    Not permitted in the terminal building.

That means permitted on the grounds and the parking areas.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...od+18.2-287.01
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    It is non-sensical to me that we can carry most other places, but not in the non-sterile areas of the specified air carrier airports. I used to carry regularly (CC) in Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix and have read where some OC there and it only made sense to me to be able to carry. Not being able to carry in the non-sterile area generally requires one to unload and lock up their firearm, rendering it useless, between the parking lots and the actual terminal. In my opinion that is the one place I'd be most likely to need it!
    Leesburg had an airshow too and I worked it OC all day (except in the early AM when the temp was in the 20's. (and no.. i was not in the golf cart all day)
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -