• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Breakfasts and Monthly Dinners

ChiTown

I was wondering if anyone can tell me when VCDL meets for breakfasts. I renewed my membership today but I am not sure of their schedule. We would like to get more involved with the VCDL and volunteer for whatever we can help with. I am in Richmond and I saw some VCDL members today at River City Diner and my wife and I would like to join them for the next breakfast they get together for. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Adam

curtiswr

Look for a thread posted each Thursday or Friday of the week by either Grapeshot or Skidmark, usually, that details when/where the breakfast for that Saturday will be. River City Diner on Parham is a favorite spot.

There is also a thread around the beginning of each month, usually started by HLH, that details a dinner location and time for, normally, the second Tuesday of the month in the Richmond area.

They aren't VCDL breakfast and dinners, per se, as they are more just simply open carry breakfasts and dinners with many/most of the attendees being VCDL members.

Example breakfast thread:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?83308-Greater-Richmond-OC-Breakfast-11-20-9-30-AM

Example dinner thread:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Richmond-Area-November-OC-Dinner-11-9-at-7-pm

ChiTown

Open Carry Breakfasts

Thanks for the information Curtis, I appreciate that. I will definitely look out for the Thursday or Friday postings. Look forward to meeting other open carry folks.

-Adam

Look for a thread posted each Thursday or Friday of the week by either Grapeshot or Skidmark, usually, that details when/where the breakfast for that Saturday will be. River City Diner on Parham is a favorite spot.

There is also a thread around the beginning of each month, usually started by HLH, that details a dinner location and time for, normally, the second Tuesday of the month in the Richmond area.

They aren't VCDL breakfast and dinners, per se, as they are more just simply open carry breakfasts and dinners with many/most of the attendees being VCDL members.

Example breakfast thread:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?83308-Greater-Richmond-OC-Breakfast-11-20-9-30-AM

Example dinner thread:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Richmond-Area-November-OC-Dinner-11-9-at-7-pm

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks for the information Curtis, I appreciate that. I will definitely look out for the Thursday or Friday postings. Look forward to meeting other open carry folks.

-Adam

ChiliTown, there is a VCDL Meeting/Dinner at UNOS in Richmond, Dec 2nd I think.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
VCDL has monthly membership meetings and other events periodically around the state.

The regular Saturday breakfast (look for posting on or about Thurs) or monthly dinner (2nd Tues each month) to which you likely refer is not under the direct auspices of VCDL but comes as a result of camaraderie on OCDO.

A vast majority (all?) of the attendees are members of VCDL - we do promote VCDL membership and always have informational literature on hand.

VCDL is a membership group whose lifeblood are the dedicated volunteers - it is arguably the most formidable grass roots organization within the Commonwealth of Virginia.

OCDO is an information sharing site which just happens to be owned by two well known members of VCDL (small world isn't it) but covers news from all of the states and beyond sometimes.

Come see us - promise you won't get bored. :D

ChiTown

Thanks for the information Grapeshot. We are looking forward to joining you for the next breakfast. See ya soon! I would also like to volunteer to help out with VCDL.

-ChiTown

VCDL has monthly membership meetings and other events periodically around the state.

The regular Saturday breakfast (look for posting on or about Thurs) or monthly dinner (2nd Tues each month) to which you likely refer is not under the direct auspices of VCDL but comes as a result of camaraderie on OCDO.

A vast majority (all?) of the attendees are members of VCDL - we do promote VCDL membership and always have informational literature on hand.

VCDL is a membership group whose lifeblood are the dedicated volunteers - it is arguably the most formidable grass roots organization within the Commonwealth of Virginia.

OCDO is an information sharing site which just happens to be owned by two well known members of VCDL (small world isn't it) but covers news from all of the states and beyond sometimes.

Come see us - promise you won't get bored. :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As a footnote - the local gun show coordinator(s) can always use people to take a shift at the VCDL table. If you don't have experience doing this, you will be paired with someone that does. Enthusiasm counts. http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/gs.html

Frequently after breakfast, several of us will attend a local event/fair/festival and dispense GSL stickers and sage advice - all at no charge. It's as much about normalizing legal guns as anything else.

Heard an interesting statement from John Pierce the other day. The question was directed to him as how he would define the political nature of citizens with guns. Johns reply was most insightful in that he said he did not see it as a political statement - not Republican, Democratic, conservative or liberal. John sees this as a social change that crosses all political lines. Sure it carries forth into the polling places, but the understanding of RKBA is reaching out to and educating all people. It is fine tuning of our social mores.

I will adapt that to my particular style - I like it a lot.
The desire to go home safely each night, knows no political bounds.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I was wondering if anyone can tell me when VCDL meets for breakfasts. I renewed my membership today but I am not sure of their schedule. We would like to get more involved with the VCDL and volunteer for whatever we can help with. I am in Richmond and I saw some VCDL members today at River City Diner and my wife and I would like to join them for the next breakfast they get together for. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Adam

Hey, Adam -- are you the motorcyclist I spoke with? If so, really great to see you here. If not, still great to see you here!

Tess

ChiTown

Grapeshot, thanks for the heads up about the gun show. We were planning on going there anyway to look for some stuff. I will make sure I stop by the table and talk with them. I would definitely be interested in going and handing out GSL stickers. Talk to you soon.

Adam

As a footnote - the local gun show coordinator(s) can always use people to take a shift at the VCDL table. If you don't have experience doing this, you will be paired with someone that does. Enthusiasm counts. http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/gs.html

Frequently after breakfast, several of us will attend a local event/fair/festival and dispense GSL stickers and sage advice - all at no charge. It's as much about normalizing legal guns as anything else.

Heard an interesting statement from John Pierce the other day. The question was directed to him as how he would define the political nature of citizens with guns. Johns reply was most insightful in that he said he did not see it as a political statement - not Republican, Democratic, conservative or liberal. John sees this as a social change that crosses all political lines. Sure it carries forth into the polling places, but the understanding of RKBA is reaching out to and educating all people. It is fine tuning of our social mores.

I will adapt that to my particular style - I like it a lot.
The desire to go home safely each night, knows no political bounds.

ChiTown

Hi Tess, no I am not the motorcyclist but I was at River City Diner this past Saturday and saw the group there. I talked with someone I know in VCDL while I was there and told him I wanted to get involved with the meetings again and volunteer. I will be at the next breakfast. I will be lookin for ya!

Adam

Hey, Adam -- are you the motorcyclist I spoke with? If so, really great to see you here. If not, still great to see you here!

Tess