Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: opening weekend

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar

Talking opening weekend

anybody else have any luck this weekend

i got a nice little 8'er 2 minutes before closing time sat night first adult deer ive seen in 2 years

0 luck. Nothing was moving through our property, no hunting pressure from the surrounding area.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Seen one Buck...He was out at 700-750 yrds...30 secs after he was out of sight...."Bang"
    One yote...500 yards.Tried to get a shot but kept losing him in the scope on a fresh plowed field right at opening or just before.
    Four does at 450-500 yrds....Just abit too close to the property line and the Peta Freaks land. They were also kinda dancin around too much to get a nice clean shot.
    I like head shots or bustin the shoulders.

Which reminds me...I gotta update my dope card for the other bullet..

Happy Huntin
    LR Yote
    Last edited by LR Yote 312; 11-22-2010 at 12:08 AM. Reason: add reminder.
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

Regular Member Have Gun - Will Carry's Avatar
    I couldn't go this year. Too many loose ends to wrap up before starting the new job next Monday. But my buddy Al said he saw nothing all weekend, south of New Munster.
    “There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other.” - John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Experience? Experience means political success, which means (today) Democrat or Republican. And it is precisely these professional politicians who have become corrupt and unrepresentative of the American people.

I have not been out yet. Had things I had to do Sat and had to work Sun. I got this thursday thru sunday off, so if there is snow, I will be hunting hard. To me, hunting without snow, is like puttting a prize fighter in the ring with one arm tied behind his back.

My 16 yr. old son got a nice doe Sunday morning. I had to gut it for him before I race off to work. He got his liscense this year so he could go register it himself.
    Last edited by BROKENSPROKET; 11-22-2010 at 02:14 AM.

Founder's Club Member springfield 1911's Avatar
    Sat in a stand this weekend, Heard fewer shots this year and nothing to be seen. A yearling came up to the house last night and friday night it was with a 6 pointer when it came up to the house.
    Be safe . Frank

Deer Hunting

I have not seen many doe the past several years. Need to earn-a-buck on my property. I saw one fawn and one small doe, figured baby needed mom, so I passed. 10 minutes later I heard two shots. Walked on the back side of my property to see my neighbors renter (trespassing),walking across my field. I saw the fawn laying in the fence line where he dragged it, (still alive and breathing). Then I found where the doe was standing when he wounded it. I searched for the doe for several hours and could not locate it as I have a big swamp and hard to walk and track deer. More to this story, should have called the DNR. I will next time if he is stupid enough to try this again. I am done for the rest of this year.

Pretty sad that a "hunter" would shoot a fawn and it's mother. How do we expect them to survive and propagate with those kind of people wiping them out?

That is illegal isn't it?

McX
    i dont hunt, used to duck hunt, but i found they dont come down out of the sky, on a dinner platter, cooked and ready to go. i had to dispatch one by hand, and felt so bad, i never went again. i'm holding out now for the opening of zombie season.

Same story around me. Looks like the DNR plan to wipe all deer in southern Wisconsin is beginning to show results. Getting to be no use buying a gun license - waste of time. If I want to sit in the woods and talk smart afterwards in the local bar, I can do that anytime. Hope Walker does something about the DNR, they are out of control.
    Last edited by Flipper; 11-22-2010 at 10:31 AM.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Nuthin this weekend.
    But I barely missed 2 with my car this morning.
    My neighbor got a nice 8 pointer, however.
    I have off all week, so I'll be out there......waiting.

ckmorley
    Anti-gunners tell us to run away from muggers. What about those of us who can't run ?

Spent the weekend and this morning hunting with my revolver. I passed up a fawn on Saturday, another one on Sunday, and two this morning. All were within 30 yds. It sure seems they are all "small" this year. Hoping for a buck or an adult doe, neither of which seem to be very common around here. Not much shooting around here either.

seen 3 doe opening morning around 9 am no shot on them, shot a young buck at 4:30 opening day, haven't seen anything after that. I think the rain is keeping them in bedding areas.

I gave up on gun hunting for deer, ducks at least show up. My friends neighbor got the 10 pointer my friends been after since opening bow, he settled for a 45 pounder, so much for QDM guess he needs SOME meat. My dog weighs more than that. we can all thank DNR for forcing us to kill off our doe population with Tzone and earn a buck. I know it will never happen but they need to give the deer a break, either 1 year of no hunting or at least a one deer limit and no Tzone IMHO.

I love the way the PC Madison based DNR calls the deer kill a harvest. Plant seeds are havested for eating, animals are killed for eating.

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/vi...ca37f1d7bb3f13
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

I stopped hunting 8 years ago. but saw a big Doe in my backyard last night.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    i dont hunt, used to duck hunt, but i found they dont come down out of the sky, on a dinner platter, cooked and ready to go. i had to dispatch one by hand, and felt so bad, i never went again. i'm holding out now for the opening of zombie season.
    Exactly how to YOU plan on preparing this zombie?

Dontcha know deer are noctural now? Only come out at night, according to my trail cameras. Fasted bit of evolution ever. The ones that come out at daylight are aberrations

Fact is, I now see more deer while driving home at 2AM than I ever have in daytime.

Never been hunting, maybe someday. I did hit a doe with my car, well, actually she ran into the side of my car. She sat on the side of the road for a minute, then got up and bounded away, apparently unhurt. My car only suffered about $200 in damage. So, all in all, not bad.

I don't believe that the reason that more people are not seeing deer is actual significant herd reduction. These easier winters have actually helped the herd size increase.

May belief is the lack of snow. Snow makes it much easier to spot them, either moving or bedded. Once the hunting pressure begins on Saturday morning, they become much stealthier and have natural camoflage cover to move in. It is much harder to SEE them, but they are there.

The snow will return. I don't think it's global warming. My dad tells me of hunting in a red t-shirt before I was born.

shot a nice 8 point buck today about noon tracked it for 3 1/2 hours but the blood stopped
    Last edited by Beretta-m9; 11-22-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Founder's Club Member springfield 1911's Avatar
    Member of hunting party just came in said he just saw 3 bear 1 mother and 2 young ones following close behind.
    I saw 1 doe and a 4 pointer, It was a miss on the buck no blood trail tracked about 1/4 mile.

Be safe.
    Frank

Seen a buck this mornin..He didnt have enough of his vitals showing.
    2 more steps and he would have been mine.

LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
    I passed on 2 yearlings at about 10 yards with my pistol on Saturday. I was having too good a time watching them. I also saw a buck at about 250 yards. Sunday I didn't see anything, but my 10 year old daughter shot her first deer. The 4th she saw from stand and she watched it for over a half hour before dropping it. We are so proud of her!! When we got home she cooked up the inner tenderloins for lunch. Then for dinner tonight we had the back straps. Absolutely scrumptious!

I must say for a 10 year old she was a die hard. Right after school today her and my husband headed out for stand again. Unfortunately they didn't see anything, but she asked him about going out again after school tomorrow. She's a keeper!

Nice job to your 10yr. old hunting mamma, that is awesome.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast