• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

opening weekend

oliverclotheshoff

anybody else have any luck this weekend

i got a nice little 8'er 2 minutes before closing time sat night first adult deer ive seen in 2 years

LR Yote 312

Seen one Buck...He was out at 700-750 yrds...30 secs after he was out of sight...."Bang"
One yote...500 yards.Tried to get a shot but kept losing him in the scope on a fresh plowed field right at opening or just before.
Four does at 450-500 yrds....Just abit too close to the property line and the Peta Freaks land. They were also kinda dancin around too much to get a nice clean shot.
I like head shots or bustin the shoulders.

Which reminds me...I gotta update my dope card for the other bullet..

Happy Huntin
LR Yote

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

I have not been out yet. Had things I had to do Sat and had to work Sun. I got this thursday thru sunday off, so if there is snow, I will be hunting hard. To me, hunting without snow, is like puttting a prize fighter in the ring with one arm tied behind his back.

My 16 yr. old son got a nice doe Sunday morning. I had to gut it for him before I race off to work. He got his liscense this year so he could go register it himself.

Last edited:

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
Sat in a stand this weekend, Heard fewer shots this year and nothing to be seen. A yearling came up to the house last night and friday night it was with a 6 pointer when it came up to the house.
Be safe . Frank

theoicarry

Deer Hunting

I have not seen many doe the past several years. Need to earn-a-buck on my property. I saw one fawn and one small doe, figured baby needed mom, so I passed. 10 minutes later I heard two shots. Walked on the back side of my property to see my neighbors renter (trespassing),walking across my field. I saw the fawn laying in the fence line where he dragged it, (still alive and breathing). Then I found where the doe was standing when he wounded it. I searched for the doe for several hours and could not locate it as I have a big swamp and hard to walk and track deer. More to this story, should have called the DNR. I will next time if he is stupid enough to try this again. I am done for the rest of this year.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Pretty sad that a "hunter" would shoot a fawn and it's mother. How do we expect them to survive and propagate with those kind of people wiping them out?

That is illegal isn't it?

M

McX

i dont hunt, used to duck hunt, but i found they dont come down out of the sky, on a dinner platter, cooked and ready to go. i had to dispatch one by hand, and felt so bad, i never went again. i'm holding out now for the opening of zombie season.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Same story around me. Looks like the DNR plan to wipe all deer in southern Wisconsin is beginning to show results. Getting to be no use buying a gun license - waste of time. If I want to sit in the woods and talk smart afterwards in the local bar, I can do that anytime. Hope Walker does something about the DNR, they are out of control.

Last edited:

ckmorley

Nuthin this weekend.
But I barely missed 2 with my car this morning.
My neighbor got a nice 8 pointer, however.
I have off all week, so I'll be out there......waiting.

ckmorley

phred

Spent the weekend and this morning hunting with my revolver. I passed up a fawn on Saturday, another one on Sunday, and two this morning. All were within 30 yds. It sure seems they are all "small" this year. Hoping for a buck or an adult doe, neither of which seem to be very common around here. Not much shooting around here either.

Beretta-m9

seen 3 doe opening morning around 9 am no shot on them, shot a young buck at 4:30 opening day, haven't seen anything after that. I think the rain is keeping them in bedding areas.

Carcharodon

I gave up on gun hunting for deer, ducks at least show up. My friends neighbor got the 10 pointer my friends been after since opening bow, he settled for a 45 pounder, so much for QDM guess he needs SOME meat. My dog weighs more than that. we can all thank DNR for forcing us to kill off our doe population with Tzone and earn a buck. I know it will never happen but they need to give the deer a break, either 1 year of no hunting or at least a one deer limit and no Tzone IMHO.

NakedOne

i dont hunt, used to duck hunt, but i found they dont come down out of the sky, on a dinner platter, cooked and ready to go. i had to dispatch one by hand, and felt so bad, i never went again. i'm holding out now for the opening of zombie season.

Exactly how to YOU plan on preparing this zombie?

rcav8r

Dontcha know deer are noctural now? Only come out at night, according to my trail cameras. Fasted bit of evolution ever. The ones that come out at daylight are aberrations :D

Fact is, I now see more deer while driving home at 2AM than I ever have in daytime.

TyGuy

Never been hunting, maybe someday. I did hit a doe with my car, well, actually she ran into the side of my car. She sat on the side of the road for a minute, then got up and bounded away, apparently unhurt. My car only suffered about $200 in damage. So, all in all, not bad.

BROKENSPROKET

I don't believe that the reason that more people are not seeing deer is actual significant herd reduction. These easier winters have actually helped the herd size increase.

May belief is the lack of snow. Snow makes it much easier to spot them, either moving or bedded. Once the hunting pressure begins on Saturday morning, they become much stealthier and have natural camoflage cover to move in. It is much harder to SEE them, but they are there.

The snow will return. I don't think it's global warming. My dad tells me of hunting in a red t-shirt before I was born.