• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

opening weekend

BROKENSPROKET

Like Broken Sprocket I am lookin forward to some snow....maybe a nights yote huntin on snow will break my ho-hum mindset.

LR Yote

Hell yah. If we get snow by friday, I will go out with the muzzleloader. I love to still hunt deer, but I need snow to move without making too much noise. I hate sitting in a stand after the first few hours of opening morning.

After muzzleloader, I will be trying out coyote hunting for the first time. I hear it's like turkey hunting on steriods. It will be kinda wierd hunting something I can't eat. I like to rabbit hunt too so, I realize taking out a few coyotes will mean more rabbits and a higher deer fawn survival rate.

oliverclotheshoff

out of the 160,000 deer they have tested free range test (live deer)in the past 8 years only 1300 were reported with cwd thats .008% i cant find numbers on deer kill cwd infections i think they might be keeping that number under wraps but if we just let natural selection run its course the wolf and coyote and hopefully real wisconsin winters will take care of the weak and sick animals all my numbers are from the dept of neverending regulation

but if you ask me i think the dnr planted the disease in the first place due to very large budget cuts that were heading in the dnr's direction about the same time CWD was discovered just my conspiracy theory

Last edited:

oak1971

Congrats !!! At least some one is doin the backstrap boogie !!!!:banana:

I chose not to go out after Thanksgiving morning....
I passed on 6 deer ...7 if I count the 750 yrd Buck and I passed on one Yote.

I did drop a doe over the Oct antlerless hunt...nice 150 lb'er.

Ever since I dropped my buddy Limpy the Coyote..I been lackin in inspiration.
I had been after that yote for a few years....I will say this he was a challenge.
Gun shy as they get.....and just as call shy too.
He kept me on my toes to say the least.... I even caught him stalkin my goose dekes one mornin this past fall.

Like Broken Sprocket I am lookin forward to some snow....maybe a nights yote huntin on snow will break my ho-hum mindset.

LR Yote

Thanks, it was slim pickings on our land so I took what I could. At least I will have food for a few months. Not enough hunting pressure from the surrounding parcels. Seems the locals were protesting the DNR by not hunting.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
I might be a bit ignorant about WI deer populations and DNR strategies, J. Gleason and CUOfficer, you hyave an apology from me if ya'll take it. But if we 'decimate' the CWD areas, before it spreads across the entire state, the deer population will always rebound. Take me to school if I need it. I am ready to learn.

The prion believed the the CWD agent is in the soil. The CWD prion is very hardy and will remain in the environment for many years.

It is my personal belief that killing all the deer (how??) in the "cwd area" will do nothing except eliminate deer that may have developed immunity to the desease.

It has spread to (or just been identified in) too many locations within and outside Wisconsin for the DNR's 'kill them all" plan to be effective. The DNR, with the PR assistance of "the DNR can do no wrong" sycophant outdoor newspaper columnists have messed this one up big time. The CWD issue has been used by tthe DNR to create a need for its existence.

The DNR has spent hunting tax money that should be used to acquire and improve hunting access for CWD studies and staff "environmentalist" salaries that have only come up with "kill them all" as a solution. After Walker splits hunting and fishing management from the tree hugging group, he should fire everyone connected with deer management at the DNR.

Explaination of the infectious desease process:

http://www.dhss.mo.gov/EPI/Mod2StudentOutline.pdf

A good explaination and overview of the present status of CWD:

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/wildlife/disease/cwd.htm

The Fed CWD website (note CWD found in deer near Ashland):

http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/disease_information/chronic_wasting_disease/index.jsp

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

Thanks, it was slim pickings on our land so I took what I could. At least I will have food for a few months. Not enough hunting pressure from the surrounding parcels. Seems the locals were protesting the DNR by not hunting.

Yeah, The pressure was down bigtime....I used to see enough blaze to play connect the dots and I hunt 2 private farms....one down here and my Uncles farm up by the folks.

but if you ask me i think the dnr planted the disease in the first place

I heard something to that effect a number of years back too. The DNR brought in a nice big Colorado Buck to use for breed stock and turned him loose. Turns out he CWD...or so its claimed.

Now it wouldnt surprise me a bit if they did plant either a contaminated buck or the prions that produce the disease.

If you all remember back a few years. We had a deer herd that was out of control and any major State Hwy or Cty Hwys were quite literally travel at your own risk. The number of road kills was astronomical and if one were to pave a road with bones I am pretty sure we could go from the Wisconsin - Illinios border to Duluth with settin foot on asphalt just from the road kills during The Rut.

Auto insurance Companies were losing money. They leveraged the State to do something about it.. Lo and Behold... Abracadabra and Poof.... we have CWD.

The State hires a bunch of Sharpshooters (no, I wasnt called.) a move that p+ssed off the hunters....So the DNR comes up with herd control hunts and earn a buck and now we have the problem we do...Now theres no deer.

Also... they released and introduced Coyotes...for 2 reasons. Run the herd and clean up the road kills.

I didnt see the truck that dropped off the doped up yote in a neighbors pasture.
BUT I DID see the tranq'ed up yote and watched thru field glasses as it staggered around for a day and a half.

I wanted to put a round in its head then,but was told that was a Dont Touch from my Capt friend of the local PD.

While I was still employed ( Truck Mechanic ) I used to get 4 or 5 drivers a week telling me how they had seen a pack of 4 or 5 Yotes pullin down a deer from Dec thru to March.

LR Yote

Last edited:

CUOfficer

Hunting Mama---Excuse me as I wipe the drool off my face from looking at that chest full of sheds. That is amazing.

Brokensprocket- Don't worry about it, it's just the basics of how the DNR is operating lately. They have opened the flood gates for people to buy as many tags as they want and it's definetly going to put the sport in jeapordy at some point. I am not saying that donating them to a food pantry is wrong, it's fine if hunters fill their 2 tags they are given when they purchase the license. It's when they buy 10 more just to feel the thrill of killing a deer that I get annoyed.

LR Yote 312

There is a December gun season as well.

IIRC there are 3 that run in or into Dec and thats not including bow.

1) Black powder
2 Herd Control
3 Holiday Hunt.....Dec 23 or 24 thru Jan 4 ( IIRC ) This may be limited to the CWD zone only. Gotta check the Regs,... got them in the Jeep.

LR Yote

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
2 doe

I shot two doe opening weekend. One to fill my freezer and the other for my uncle's. First one about 7:30 opening morning, she came through with 5 friends. The second one came out early to chow about 4PM opening night. That one was a bit of a poke; around 300 yards but had a good rest and she wasn't moving. It's pretty cool when you shoot, see the deer start running and then hear the thump of the bullet hitting the deer.

I saw quite a few little bucks. Two eights with about a 14-15" inside a couple of sixes and a seven pointer but all were too small for me to waste my buck tag on. I did see a nice shooter on closing saturday. 10 or 12 pointer with a 18-20" inside and tall. He was about 50 yards across the property line........ :( I've got to talk to that neighbor and work out a deal. He's got some cattle I let him keep on my property so he should be willing to work it out.

LR Yote 312

It's pretty cool when you shoot, see the deer start running and then hear the thump of the bullet hitting the deer.

Congrats Brass Magnet !!!
Another one that gets to do the Backstrap Boogie !!!!

I love that sound !!!!

For some reason I cant figure out, that "Smmmaaack " is often more louder than the report of my rifle. Theres nothing fancy about my barrel.Its just a 24 in SS Bull barrel.

Oh yeah,Before I forget the Holiday Hunt is in the CWD Zone only. Runs from Dec 24th to Jan 9th.
Can shoot either Bucks or Does.
Page 9 2010 Deer Regs.

I know where I am gonna be on Christmas Eve.

LR Yote

Last edited:

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
IIRC there are 3 that run in or into Dec and thats not including bow.

1) Black powder
2 Herd Control
3 Holiday Hunt.....Dec 23 or 24 thru Jan 4 ( IIRC ) This may be limited to the CWD zone only. Gotta check the Regs,... got them in the Jeep.

LR Yote
Per DNR deer "I got book learnin' about animals & the science sez" managers: "kill them all"

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
I missed this thread, so I'm a little late to report...

I shot a 7 point buck (1.5 yr old) at about 7:15am and my step-dad got an 11 point buck (3.5 yr old) about 8:30am (probably the biggest deer we have taken off our property) opening morning... I seen a total of 18-20 deer on opening day, passed on a basket 6 pointer in there at some point.

Sunday morning we just wanted to get one more deer for meat, hunted til about 9am, nothing to really get a shot at... we decided to drive through our pines, about 15 yards in we kicked out a pair of yearlings, guy in our group got one of them... unfortunately in ended up being a young buck. =(

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Congrats Brass Magnet !!!
Another one that gets to do the Backstrap Boogie !!!!

I love that sound !!!!

For some reason I cant figure out, that "Smmmaaack " is often more louder than the report of my rifle. Theres nothing fancy about my barrel.Its just a 24 in SS Bull barrel.

Oh yeah,Before I forget the Holiday Hunt is in the CWD Zone only. Runs from Dec 24th to Jan 9th.
Can shoot either Bucks or Does.
Page 9 2010 Deer Regs.

I know where I am gonna be on Christmas Eve.

LR Yote
Thanks Yote. It's one of my favorite sounds as well. What do you know, I shot the doe with a 24" SS barrel too. A mid heavy custom profile from BRUX.

I'm going out during the holiday hunt to look for a trophy. It's an excellent time of year to see some big bucks if you can stand the cold. There is also a landowners season that runs after the holiday hunt to March 31'st. I'll get the 2 dollar tag and hunt the early part of that probably as well. At least until I get my monster. ;) Wishfull thinking.