Thread: Iowa becomes a "Shall Issue" state...

Iowa becomes a "Shall Issue" state...

...and under the new law effective 01/2011, Iowa will recognize out of state permits. Good news for Arizona travelers with AZCCW permits.

(No I'm not gonna' cite the new Iowa gun law. You can slide down to the Iowa subforum and click on the latest posts), YES, I'm in a grumpy mood. What about it?
    Last edited by GWbiker; 11-22-2010 at 02:51 AM. Reason: because i can...

Happy Thanksgiving Grumpy.

If I was up at 2:49 AM there would be a bit of grumpiness here also.

Enjoy
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.

Outstanding news! (edit): Oh hell... I asumed (wrongly) that Iowa went 'Constitutional'. They still have a liong way to go for that.
    Last edited by Sonora Rebel; 11-22-2010 at 11:03 AM.

Awesome! Though I'll probably never have cause to go to Iowa, ANY restoration of rights is a good thing in my book.

In reality, I think Iowa was already "mostly" the same, as licenses were rarely denied, but without shall issue, the opportunity for abuse is there. Fundamental Rights should NEVER be dependent on ANYONE's whim.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer of Paper View Post
    Awesome! Though I'll probably never have cause to go to Iowa, ANY restoration of rights is a good thing in my book.

In reality, I think Iowa was already "mostly" the same, as licenses were rarely denied, but without shall issue, the opportunity for abuse is there. Fundamental Rights should NEVER be dependent on ANYONE's whim.

It depended on what county you lived in. Some counties were essentially "shall issue"....but others were no issue....and still others put what ever restrictions they wanted on the permits they did issue.

County Map

Green is "shall issue"
    Yellow is "may issue"
    Red is No Issue
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; 11-22-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer of Paper View Post

Nooooononono IOWA SUCKED. I lived in Missouri for the first 26 years of my life and A) before this law IOWA did not honor ANY other state's licenses. Now with this new law they will honor ALL of them. And the comment about some counties being Draconian was also correct. Some had normal Sheriffs with a head on their shoulders and some liked to play the big boy in the policeman's truck. This law is a good thing.

As someone who grew up in IA, (left in 84 and have never been back), I can tell you that up until that time at least the firearms laws in IA were awful. Part of the problem was that the game laws concerning firearms confilicted with
    other gun laws. I had a permit for carry, not conceled, but you still could be arrested by the game warden at any time. No conceled carry permits were issued at least in Cerro Gordo County. I'm glad that they are finally joining
    other states.

TBG

Iowas' Laws ARE ACTUALLY GOOD now, atleast Starting on January. 1, 2011, because: 1. Once a NonProfessional Permit is Issued, then, 2. Such NonProfessional Permit Holder may Openly Carry ANY Firearm anywhere in Iowa, with no Questions asked, and NO Restrictions from The Local County Sheriff Imposed thereupon.
    Just DO NOT Use such Firearm Recklessly!

P.S.: Iowa has a GREAT Preemption Statute as well, so..., that is a Double Bonus!