• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iowa becomes a "Shall Issue" state...

GWbiker

...and under the new law effective 01/2011, Iowa will recognize out of state permits. Good news for Arizona travelers with AZCCW permits.

(No I'm not gonna' cite the new Iowa gun law. You can slide down to the Iowa subforum and click on the latest posts), YES, I'm in a grumpy mood. What about it?

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

Outstanding news! (edit): Oh hell... I asumed (wrongly) that Iowa went 'Constitutional'. They still have a liong way to go for that.

Last edited:

Slayer of Paper

Awesome! Though I'll probably never have cause to go to Iowa, ANY restoration of rights is a good thing in my book.

In reality, I think Iowa was already "mostly" the same, as licenses were rarely denied, but without shall issue, the opportunity for abuse is there. Fundamental Rights should NEVER be dependent on ANYONE's whim.

mrjam2jab

Awesome! Though I'll probably never have cause to go to Iowa, ANY restoration of rights is a good thing in my book.

In reality, I think Iowa was already "mostly" the same, as licenses were rarely denied, but without shall issue, the opportunity for abuse is there. Fundamental Rights should NEVER be dependent on ANYONE's whim.

It depended on what county you lived in. Some counties were essentially "shall issue"....but others were no issue....and still others put what ever restrictions they wanted on the permits they did issue.

County Map

Green is "shall issue"
Yellow is "may issue"
Red is No Issue

Last edited:

mFonz77

Nooooononono IOWA SUCKED. I lived in Missouri for the first 26 years of my life and A) before this law IOWA did not honor ANY other state's licenses. Now with this new law they will honor ALL of them. And the comment about some counties being Draconian was also correct. Some had normal Sheriffs with a head on their shoulders and some liked to play the big boy in the policeman's truck. This law is a good thing.

The Big Guy

As someone who grew up in IA, (left in 84 and have never been back), I can tell you that up until that time at least the firearms laws in IA were awful. Part of the problem was that the game laws concerning firearms confilicted with
other gun laws. I had a permit for carry, not conceled, but you still could be arrested by the game warden at any time. No conceled carry permits were issued at least in Cerro Gordo County. I'm glad that they are finally joining
other states.

TBG

aadvark

Iowas' Laws ARE ACTUALLY GOOD now, atleast Starting on January. 1, 2011, because: 1. Once a NonProfessional Permit is Issued, then, 2. Such NonProfessional Permit Holder may Openly Carry ANY Firearm anywhere in Iowa, with no Questions asked, and NO Restrictions from The Local County Sheriff Imposed thereupon.
Just DO NOT Use such Firearm Recklessly!

P.S.: Iowa has a GREAT Preemption Statute as well, so..., that is a Double Bonus!