• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winter equipment question

Voob

So with the snow falling now, does anyone have suggestions for gloves that are somewhat warm, but still allow a person to be able to get their finger inside the trigger guard quickly and safely? I've been looking online, and most of the winter shooting gloves seem more for hunting so are a bit bulkier than I would prefer.

amlevin

These are also good:

http://www.hatch-corp.com/detail.aspx?pid=LMG100/200

Surprisingly, if you can keep the hand warm, the fingers will stay fairly warm without a lot of insulation on the finger.

I keep a pair of just the patrolman weight gloves handy for those days that it's too cold for No Gloves.

Even the "Mechanix" gloves that are available at Auto Parts stores are good and allow for complete movement of the hand/fingers when handling a gun. Probably more available than the Hatch brand.

A tip that works. Take a pair of leather gloves with a fairly thin lining, cut a slit across the trigger finger portion (side to side) approximately half the distance between the first and second knuckle crease (palm side). A quick tug on the finger tip of the glove can free the finger tip to access the trigger and allows the same feel as when not wearing gloves. This works well for precision rifle shooting in the cold too.

Metalhead47

These are also good:

http://www.hatch-corp.com/detail.aspx?pid=LMG100/200

Surprisingly, if you can keep the hand warm, the fingers will stay fairly warm without a lot of insulation on the finger.

I keep a pair of just the patrolman weight gloves handy for those days that it's too cold for No Gloves.

Even the "Mechanix" gloves that are available at Auto Parts stores are good and allow for complete movement of the hand/fingers when handling a gun. Probably more available than the Hatch brand.

A tip that works. Take a pair of leather gloves with a fairly thin lining, cut a slit across the trigger finger portion (side to side) approximately half the distance between the first and second knuckle crease (palm side). A quick tug on the finger tip of the glove can free the finger tip to access the trigger and allows the same feel as when not wearing gloves. This works well for precision rifle shooting in the cold too.

+1 on the Mechanix brand gloves. Havn't tried shooting with them (I generally don't wear gloves even when it's cold), but I use them working in the shop all the time cuz they actually give you pretty good feeling as to what you're doing. IIRC they even have a "carpenter's glove" that leaves the tip of the trigger finger exposed. Last a good long while too.

tombrewster421

+1 on the Mechanix brand gloves. Havn't tried shooting with them (I generally don't wear gloves even when it's cold), but I use them working in the shop all the time cuz they actually give you pretty good feeling as to what you're doing. IIRC they even have a "carpenter's glove" that leaves the tip of the trigger finger exposed. Last a good long while too.

Atlas brand has some thin gloves with nitrile on the palm and finger areas. They feel almost as if you aren't wearing anything when working with them on. I decided to try them out when working on my truck once and found the grip and feel to be many times better than mechanix gloves, even when oily. I would imagine they would perform as well for shooting. You can pick them up at most lumber yards.

oneeyeross

I don't have an issue with gloves and firearms. I use milsurp style weapons, which are designed with larger trigger guards and built to shoot in all weather. No problems.