• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who makes a low-riding leather holster?

onlurker

I currently carry my P226 in a Serpa duty holster and while this works well for general open carry and mild-to-moderate difficulty for hiking, it is quite heavy and adds quite a lot of fatigue in extremely difficult mountaneering, especially when snow is involved. The power of google isn't with me so I am asking you all here, where can I find a low-riding leather holster with some form of retention (I am fine with a thumb break)?

Something else to consider too is I am looking to pick up a revolver, either a .357 mag or a .44 mag (I am leaning towards the .44) both with a 4" barrel and 7 and 6 shot respectively. I figured I could go the "cowboy" route but alas, I fail at searching and am coming up empty handed with low-riding holsters. Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

cbpeck

I currently carry my P226 in a Serpa duty holster and while this works well for general open carry and mild-to-moderate difficulty for hiking, it is quite heavy and adds quite a lot of fatigue in extremely difficult mountaneering, especially when snow is involved. The power of google isn't with me so I am asking you all here, where can I find a low-riding leather holster with some form of retention (I am fine with a thumb break)?

When you say you want a low-riding leather holster I assume you aren't asking for a thigh rig, but something that carries the gun a little lower than your average pancake, right?

If so, here are a few options to consider:

Kramer makes a women's holster that may suit your needs if you can get around carrying a women's holster. :lol: It doesn't come standard with a thumb break, but if you liked the holster concept and felt it would meet your needs, I bet they'd be happy to make one with a thumb break for you:

http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=15&categoryID=24

Tucker Gun Leather recently started offering an "Old School" belt holster. I can't tell for sure from the photos, but it looks like it may be low riding. Again, it doesn't come standard with a thumb break, but knowing Tucker, they'd find a way to add one for you:

http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/oldsctrbeho.html

onlurker

When you say you want a low-riding leather holster I assume you aren't asking for a thigh rig, but something that carries the gun a little lower than your average pancake, right?

That's correct. For reference, here is the current OC holster with the pistol in question:

P8020003.jpg

As long as I can get the grip of the gun down to or below the waist just like this I'll be satisfied.

cbpeck

Hmmm,

I'm not aware of a factory production holster that will meet your criteria, so I guess my best suggestion would be to contact some of the more reputable custom holster makers in the country and talk to them. A short list would include Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen & Tucker. They definitely have the skill to produce what you're after. Whether they will be willing to make a rig for you may depend on a few factors (i.e. time, cost, safety).

Riana

Given my build, I have a hard time finding holsters. A hip holster has to ride low for me - grip at belt-level is perfect. I have a holster similar to what you're talking about for my 3913LS - I purchased it used on eBay. If you're patient, you might be able to find something.

gprod55

Low Riders

If your looking for a special made holster. Check with your local Tandy Leather Store and they will let you know who in your area can make a holster to fit your requirements. They ususally have a list of professional and hobby leathercrafters who build rigs for their own use and others upon request. You should also be able to haggle the price.

Dreamer

If you like your Serpa, but want a holster that sits a little lower, you should SERIOUSLY consider getting a "drop-loop" accessory from Blackhawk.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Jacket-Slot-Duty-Belt-Loop,839,82.htm

I use one of these in the winter, so I can wear a waist-length coat and still comfortably (and legally) Open Carry. It will drop your Serpa down about 2.5", is very secure, comfortable, and stable.

Just be sure to tell them the specific model number of the Serpa you currently have, so they can send you the right screws for it. The "drop loop" is ostensibly made for their "duty holster" line, which use a slightly larger screw than the CQC/Sportster line, but it is thicker than the standard mounts that come with those holsters. The screws that come with a CQC/Sportster aren't long enough to securely mount the Drop Loop. But Blackhawk has the right screws, and will throw them in for no extra charge.

Daylen

I have one of the serpa drop loop "duty" holster rigs. I've been hunting in it and have not found it to be a problem. It's been rugged enough for slogging through brush and light enough for half day walking hunts.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Have you tried a Black Powder shooting store? They usually have a large selection of leather holsters, some handmade to period specs.

Other than that, I'd go with Bianchi or Galco, particularly for modern handguns.