• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Declaring an unloaded/locked pistol in checked luggage (JFK)

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums here and wanted to introduce myself- in addition I have a question in regards to the above. I currently have a permit to carry a pistol or revolver in the state of CT. I will be flying to another state in Dec. and would like to fit in some target shooting with my brother (I will be flying from JFK). From what I can glean in speaking with others, I will not be allowed (& probably arrested) if I try to declare an unloaded/locked pistol as part of my checked baggage as I don't have a NY state or NYC carry permit. Can anyone verify this or share an experience? I phoned the port authority this afternoon in which the conversation went something like this:

Desk Sargeant: May I help you?
Me: Hello, just a quick question: If I am a resident of CT with a valid permit, can I declare a firearm as part of my checked luggage when traveling from JFK?
Desk Sargeant: Is it a pistol or long gun?
Me: Pistol
Desk Sargeant: Do you have a carry permit issued by NYC or NY state?
Me: No, but it will be unloaded & locked in a hard sided container which follows federal requirements.
Desk Sargeant: Leave it at home (followed by click and dial tone).

After having this conversation I suppose I will be using my brothers guns (or ship mine via FFL to FFL, as I really don't want to be arrested right around Christmas (my wife wouldn't be too understanding...).

Comments? Suggestions (besides using another airport, which is tempting)?

Thank you.

eye95

Welcome, Sgt. Kabukiman! I cannot answer your question, but I want to thank you for thinking we can be a resource on gun law. You came to the right place. I am sure someone here will be able to help you.

Now, if you are ever curious about Alabama gun law...

Anyway, I am anxious to hear the answer to your question. I wondered about how transporting a gun on an airplane works when one of the terminals is in an extremely gun-unfriendly State. If both endpoints are gun-friendly, its easy, just follow the federal rules. When a State like NY gets involved...uh oh.

We have had discussions regarding transport of guns on airplanes before, so I am sure we have someone here who can help you. Again, welcome.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While I am of the opinion that the Federal Firearms Owners Protection Act will apply; however, a major caviat is in order: "Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest."
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

I do not see where one cannot change "vehicles" and there should be a way to handle that. However, if it were me I would avoid the potential of major problems by selecting one of your other obvious options.

[STRIKE]One thing I do NOT understand is why you would pick a screen name which in and of itself seems to make a claim of being a NY LEO, who of course would be afforded a completely different set of circumstances not requiring a permit etc.. I understand that you have made it clear that you are a resident of Connecticut and have a permit from there.

The mere existence of this two things together creates certain questions in my mind.[/STRIKE]

ETA: Well again I have been educated beyond my realm of knowledge. This time by Eye95 in the post following. Makes sense to me now.
icon11.png

Last edited:

Slayer of Paper

IANAL, but my research suggests that this is exactly one of the cases for which the FOPA was created. I seriously doubt you would end up with a conviction.

HOWEVER, I don't for one second believe that would stop the NYC police from arresting you, and maybe even the DA from putting you on trial, regardless of the fact that federal law prohibits it. Even if you eventually win out, you will spend a lot of time in jail (and treated like a common criminal), and also spend a lot of money defending yourself. That's how the anti's think of us: as common criminals, even though most of us have never broken any law more serious than a speeding violation. It doesn't matter that you are in the right. They will take things as far as they can get away with.

I'd suggest either using your brother's guns, or taking a plane from a local airport.

Hef

I've flown to/from CT many times. If you don't have a NY permit (and only residents get them), you can't carry a gun in NY. The only exception is LEOSA. As far as 926A, NY interprets your check-in at the airport as a "destination" in NY, rather than passing through, and (in their opinion) 926A therefore does not apply, and you will be arrested for a felony weapons possession.

Fly out of Bradley, or leave your gun at home. That's all you can do.

swinokur

Activist Member
I am attaching a letter from the DOJ giving their opinion that FOPA does indeed cover you when flying from a NY or NJ airport. Having said that, there have been 3 cases where travelers were arrested because of unusual circumstances. I have flown from both JFK and Laguardia as well as Newark without problems. I would print this letter and a copy of FOPA and bring it with you. If you have a bill of sale from your weapon that contains the serial number, I'd copy that and bring it along. IANAL

Here are the cases:

Revell vs Port Authority of Ny and NJ

[SIZE=+1]Ttorraco v. Port Authority of NY[/SIZE]

I think you will be ok as the cases listed involved very unusual circumstances. I believe in the Ttorraco cases FOPA was offered as an affirmative defense and charges were dropped eventually but a huge hassle for the guys involved.

Again IANAL

Last edited:

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

Thanks to all for your replies and warm welcome. It looks like the pistols will stay at home until things change.

Grapeshot,

I'm sorry for the extremely poor choice of name given the subject matter. Don't ask me why that awful movie popped into my head at the time of registration (I guess I had n.y.p.d. on the brain). If you have moderator/owner powers please feel free to chop the N.Y.P.D. portion from the name if you think it causes too much confusion.

P.S. Never watch the above mentioned movie. It will melt your brain...

eye95

I am attaching a letter from the DOJ giving their opinion that FOPA does indeed cover you when flying from a NY or NJ airport. Having said that, there have been 3 cases where travelers were arrested because of unusual circumstances. I have flown from both JFK and Laguardia as well as Newark without problems. I would print this letter and a copy of FOPA and bring it with you. If you have a bill of sale from your weapon that contains the serial number, I'd copy that and bring it along. IANAL

Here are the cases:

I think you will be ok as the cases listed involved very unusual circumstances. I believe in all cases FOPA was offered as an affirmative defense and charges were dropped eventually but a huge hassle for the guys involved.

Again IANAL

swinokur, GOOD info. Still, I'd love to hear about someone successfully using this letter to squelch an arrest before it actually happens.

swinokur

Activist Member
I forgot to mention the 3 guys in the 2nd case had basically won their case at the District Court level. They then appealed on the claim of violation of their civil rights under Federal 1983. The appeals court correctly shot them down IMO. But the gun issue had been settled in their favor until they got balsy and appealed.

Revell had a connecting light canceled and had to stay at a hotel. The court ruled against his claimed FOPA protection because he took his suitcase to the hotel and therefore "had access" to his firearm. Technicality but he lost. If I get stuck in NY and NJ my luggage will stay in the airport, hopefully avoiding prosecution if I never put my hands on it. This is why I have a change of clothes in my carry on.

I hope this helps somebody avoid all the Bravo Sierra

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks to all for your replies and warm welcome. It looks like the pistols will stay at home until things change.

Grapeshot,

I'm sorry for the extremely poor choice of name given the subject matter. Don't ask me why that awful movie popped into my head at the time of registration (I guess I had n.y.p.d. on the brain). If you have moderator/owner powers please feel free to chop the N.Y.P.D. portion from the name if you think it causes too much confusion.

P.S. Never watch the above mentioned movie. It will melt your brain...

Not a problem - now that I know what is referenced, it is indeed funny. :lol:

Here are the cases:

I think you will be ok as the cases listed involved very unusual circumstances. I believe in all cases FOPA was offered as an affirmative defense and charges were dropped eventually but a huge hassle for the guys involved.

Again IANAL

Couldn't help but notice it took them about a year and a half to answer that inquiry (see attachment referenced) and that it was dated 2005. I'm sure I remember some negative interaction in a NY airport over the last 5 years, but my google fu fails me tonight.

swinokur

Activist Member
Not a problem - now that I know what is referenced, it is indeed funny. :lol:

Couldn't help but notice it took them about a year and a half to answer that inquiry (see attachment referenced) and that it was dated 2005. I'm sure I remember some negative interaction in a NY airport over the last 5 years, but my google fu fails me tonight.
Google the 2 cases I referenced in my post. Those are the only ones I can find. There was another over an arrest for travelers driving between JFK and Laguardia but I can't find it. I think it was on the NRA web site

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums here and wanted to introduce myself- in addition I have a question in regards to the above. I currently have a permit to carry a pistol or revolver in the state of CT. I will be flying to another state in Dec. and would like to fit in some target shooting with my brother (I will be flying from JFK). From what I can glean in speaking with others, I will not be allowed (& probably arrested) if I try to declare an unloaded/locked pistol as part of my checked baggage as I don't have a NY state or NYC carry permit. Can anyone verify this or share an experience? I phoned the port authority this afternoon in which the conversation went something like this:

Desk Sargeant: May I help you?
Me: Hello, just a quick question: If I am a resident of CT with a valid permit, can I declare a firearm as part of my checked luggage when traveling from JFK?
Desk Sargeant: Is it a pistol or long gun?
Me: Pistol
Desk Sargeant: Do you have a carry permit issued by NYC or NY state?
Me: No, but it will be unloaded & locked in a hard sided container which follows federal requirements.
Desk Sargeant: Leave it at home (followed by click and dial tone).

After having this conversation I suppose I will be using my brothers guns (or ship mine via FFL to FFL, as I really don't want to be arrested right around Christmas (my wife wouldn't be too understanding...).

Comments? Suggestions (besides using another airport, which is tempting)?

Thank you.

Check the Volkmer Act. 1986+/-

The Firearm Owners' Protection Act (FOPA), Public Law No. 99-308, 100 Stat. 449 (May 19, 1986), codified at 18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq., is a United States federal law that revised many statutes in the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Print it. Send it to the Sergeant. Keep a copy of it with you. If someone tries to arrest you, you should be able to improve your bank account in a few months.

Or you could leave it at home. Another scenario: Start your flight in CT and check your baggage through.

:cool:

swinokur

Activist Member
In the second case I cited in an earlier post the Appeals Court ruled that the arrest at the airport was legal. FOPA won't keep you from being arrested. It can be used as an affirmative defense however. Waving a paper in front of the cop may help you, but it's not an iron clad way to prevent arrest. The only way to do that is avoid NY and NJ while flying.

Last edited:

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

Thanks again for all the great information. In the future, I will be booking flights out of Bradley International Airport (even though it adds another hour + to my travel time). It looks like I can fly straight from there to Dallas (I could connect through JFK, but won't out of petty spite), then continue on to my final destination. Dear NY & NJ: You just lost my business....like they care, but it's the best I can do at this time.

Perhaps, one day when I don't have family and employees depending on my immediate presence I will try to fly from JFK with letter in hand. Whether I would be arrested or not sounds like it would be based on the responding officer/s mood that particular day coupled with my ability to articulate why the arrest shouldn't occur. What a bunch of BS...