• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in SD county parks?

J.D.Allen

I went fishing the other day at Lake Morena, well outside any GFSZ's, and was wondering about UOC there. It's kind of off the beaten path. Anybody know what the law would be in regards to a county park like that???

coolusername2007

I agree with Gundude. I also think this is correct. Preemption covers local governments, which would include city and county. State parks are the difference, since they are governed by the State.

Iopencarry

There is a California Penal Code law that allows anglers to carry a gun while fishing and while hiking to and from their angling site. California Penal Code, Section 12025, prohibits carrying concealed firearms in California, but Section 12027 provides the following exemption to this prohibition: "Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition." Remember that some areas that allow fishing, such as state and national parks, and some incorporated areas where fishing is allowed prohibit the possession of any firearm. Make sure to check on the local laws where you plan to fish.

mjones

There is a California Penal Code law that allows anglers to carry a gun while fishing and while hiking to and from their angling site. California Penal Code, Section 12025, prohibits carrying concealed firearms in California, but Section 12027 provides the following exemption to this prohibition: "Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition." Remember that some areas that allow fishing, such as state and national parks, and some incorporated areas where fishing is allowed prohibit the possession of any firearm. Make sure to check on the local laws where you plan to fish.

Don't forget that the mentioned provision is ONLY for concealment and does NOT address whether or not the firearm can be loaded.