Thread: FYI: The Supreme Court has nine justices...

Banned

FYI: The Supreme Court has nine justices...

The Supreme Court has nine justices because Congress established that there'd be nine justices. The Founders did not put that in the Constitution. If one is going to use arguments from the Constitution, one ought to read it.

At different times in our history, the law has had different numbers of justices on the Supreme Court. Furthermore, while it would be wise to have an odd number, it is not necessary. Many votes have involved only an even number of justices. A tie vote simply maintains the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    The Supreme Court has nine justices because Congress established that there'd be nine justices. The Founders did not put that in the Constitution. If one is going to use arguments from the Constitution, one ought to read it.

At different times in our history, the law has had different numbers of justices on the Supreme Court. Furthermore, while it would be wise to have an odd number, it is not necessary. Many votes have involved only an even number of justices. A tie vote simply maintains the status quo.
    Sorry I misspoke...well mistyped. The Constitution established SCOTUS but the number was and is determined by Congress. A tie vote is unacceptable...decisions should be made one way or the other. Hope this clarification doesn't make me a waffler.

"If one is going to use arguments from the Constitution, one ought to read it," what would this be called, oh yea, hyperbole.

I think it would be more appropriate for you to send me an IM about this, rather than starting a thread to make your statement...I could have given you this same response privately. It seems the previous conversation has been ended. Not trying to tell you what to do.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 11-22-2010 at 09:12 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...