• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally turned in my application...

logan

Campaign Veteran
Well as much as I enjoy OCing and not worrying about trying to hide the gun, I only enjoy it in the summer. In the colder months, I can't stand try to keep my jacket behind the gun. I've found myself carrying it less just because I don't enjoy it, yet it would be so easy to hide behind my jacket.

I had been putting the permit off due to money issues. But yesterday I had mentioned to my wife that I wanted to go ahead and buy the permit. She didn't like the idea due to the cost. Later she wanted to buy a couple pairs of shoes...so I said if you get your shoes, I get my permit! Stupid I know...since it's a lot more money we spent! lol. But hey, I'm finally getting my permit. It will just be my Christmas present to myself.

I'll feel a lot better once I can CC, as I'll always have a good option on how to carry wherever I go :)

strife1013

That's what marriage is about, compromise. You get a permit, she gets shoes lol. While the cost is a bit high i think it's worth it seeing how it lasts 5 years, I agree, while I like OC, it's getting cold real quick. I like you am waiting to be approved and I tell you what it sucks checking your mail box everyday and not seeing it in there. I turned my in on Oct. 8th, so it's a waiting game.....and I don't like this game lol...
Anyways carry on and be safe. Your lucky to have a girl that's open with you having a weapon on you.

logan

Campaign Veteran
Everyone in WI is afraid of guns...well okay not really, but WI is not a CC state, and OC wasn't really popular at all until about a year ago. Quite often there were people getting police called on them and sometimes even arrested due to just OCing, so she didn't want to be with me and cause any kind of scene. But Colorado seems to be more friendly, even though I never had a problem OCing in WI.

Gunslinger

WI will be a "shall issue" state within a few months. Republican Governor and control of both state houses. Some on the WI forum want a repeal of an onerous statute as the best way to go. Either way, WI has "change we can believe in" now.

logan

Campaign Veteran
WI will be a "shall issue" state within a few months. Republican Governor and control of both state houses. Some on the WI forum want a repeal of an onerous statute as the best way to go. Either way, WI has "change we can believe in" now.

Yup...if only I had stayed in WI. I wish them the best. All my family and friends are there, so I'll be going back as often as I can.

Gunslinger

Yup...if only I had stayed in WI. I wish them the best. All my family and friends are there, so I'll be going back as often as I can.

Yeah, but no humidity, no mosquitos, always a breeze here--I don't miss the Midwest at all. Born and raised in IL, lots of family and friends still there. But they like to come here to visit :> Went to the Dells many times on vacation. And many college towns up there, as well. Always liked WI.

MKEgal

The incoming Gov has said he would sign a repeal of the "no CC for citizens" law if the legislature gave it to him.
We're worried that some group might somehow get a "shall issue" bill passed, maybe even with mandatory gov't-approved training, before the simple (easy, cheap, Constitutionally correct) repeal can be done.

Many of us are pushing for the repeal, going directly from one of the holdouts to one of the leaders in CC rights. (With Alaska, Arizona, Vermont, and soon to be Utah, Wyoming, & Texas.)

Gunslinger

The incoming Gov has said he would sign a repeal of the "no CC for citizens" law if the legislature gave it to him.
We're worried that some group might somehow get a "shall issue" bill passed, maybe even with mandatory gov't-approved training, before the simple (easy, cheap, Constitutionally correct) repeal can be done.

Many of us are pushing for the repeal, going directly from one of the holdouts to one of the leaders in CC rights. (With Alaska, Arizona, Vermont, and soon to be Utah, Wyoming, & Texas.)

So, let's say you repeal the statute in question. How does that affect CC? Wouldn't you still need a "shall issue" law or are you saying the WI Constitution will automatically allow for carry anyway you choose? That's what confuses me about the situation. Either way, I wish you the best of luck!

Beau

I recently applied and received my permit. Turn around time was 34 days in Elbert county. While it is nice to not have to worry about a jacket concealing my gun on accident the main reason I got the permit was so I could carry in Denver.

I think the cost is a bit high. They really should change it from a five year to a lifetime permit. Especially if you also have to spend $100 on a training course. The only thing that baffles me more than how much instructors charge for a permit class is that people actually pay it. The max I could see paying for a permit class is $50. Lucky for me I'm a member of USPSA and that covered the training requirement. IIRC the class I took in VA for their permit was only $40. That was 10 years ago though.

Gunslinger

I recently applied and received my permit. Turn around time was 34 days in Elbert county. While it is nice to not have to worry about a jacket concealing my gun on accident the main reason I got the permit was so I could carry in Denver.

I think the cost is a bit high. They really should change it from a five year to a lifetime permit. Especially if you also have to spend $100 on a training course. The only thing that baffles me more than how much instructors charge for a permit class is that people actually pay it. The max I could see paying for a permit class is $50. Lucky for me I'm a member of USPSA and that covered the training requirement. IIRC the class I took in VA for their permit was only $40. That was 10 years ago though.

No course needed in VA as I was a Veteran. Training courses for people who have shot handguns for decades is moronic. They won't make it lifetime as it is a revenue train. And with that ******* Hick-in-loop as governor, he won't see a tax (or fee) he doesn't love. Plus, he was rated F by the NRA. Tax Ritter jr.

logan

Campaign Veteran

I didn't have to take a class either, as I'm a recently discharged veteran. But yes, the cost is still too high. I'll OC a lot once summer comes around, but when I need a jacket, it's just easier to not keep it behind the gun.

kel

34 days?!? That's crazy, I turned mine into El Paso county at the beginning of November and they said the CBI is taking the full 90 days.

I know an instructor that gives classes in Denver and Colorado Springs free to enlisted military. The class I took from him was $75 (I'm not military) and was only 3 hours, worth it to me for such a short class, I didn't want to do any full day classes.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I think the cost is a bit high. They really should change it from a five year to a lifetime permit. Especially if you also have to spend $100 on a training course.

Agreed. In 1991 a CWP from the state of Washington cost $27, which is roughly $44 after accounting for inflation. That included fingerprinting and an FBI background check.

I also believe the requirement for a firearms safety course is an exercise in bilking the CC public to feed the firearms instructors, particularly for those of us who practice firearms safety on a daily basis while hitting the range several times a year. Recurrent training under these circumstances is a major ripoff.

ZackL

Excellent! Congrats on getting the permit and it's good to see that the times are coming down some.

strife1013

I just got my permit today! Only took 48 days.

That's crazy!! I am on day 70 something, I turned my in on Oct. 7th.....did they mail it to you or did you have to go pick it up??

***EDIT***
Just got off the phone with them, they said it's at the chain of command, and my arrest (even though the case was dismissed) might be holding it up. Guess, I'll just have to sit back and wait longer.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
From what I've been gathering, if you're not utterly, squeaky clean or they're backlogged, it'll take the full 90 days.

I wouldn't sweat it, though, as ours is a "shall-issue" state, so provided you were honest on your application and don't meet any of the disqualifying criteria, it'll come in due time.