• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Might Be Off-Topic------ Who Reloads?

smlawrence

It doesn't really relate to OC'ing but does relate to guns & ammo. I just recently got into reloading and thought I would bring the topic up for conversation. Anyone else close by reload for handguns or rifles? One thing I had heard about reloads was that "if you had to defend yourself and shot someone with a reload instead of a factory load, you could be prosecuted worse because it would be said that you loaded that round with the intent of creating more damage than you would with a factory load and the family would be able to sue you for more damages. Any thoughts?

Sidenote: Anyone know of a good local place to Greensboro/Kernersville to purchase reloading supplies. I need a #3 Shell Holder & Dyes for a .40cal. I frequent Gun Rack in Kville but they have been somewhat limited here lately with alot of things on backorder.

mark-in-texas

I've been reloading for several years! What would you like to know??

I too have heard that idea about never using reloads for defensive ammo; yes it could be a sticky point if you ever have to use it. The main reason I wouldn't use reloads in my carry gun is reliability. Yep, I have had reloads I've messed up. Never an overcharge, but a couple no powder rounds :banghead: They make a little pop and jump the bullet out just enough to jam in the rifling and require knocking out with a rod!
The best use for reloads is for practice ammo or to taylor make something specific. For instance, the most common rounds I make are 9mm, 40 & 45 that just make the 'power factor' minimum required in the IDPA. (bullet weight X velocity=125,000 minimum) Most factory ammo WAY exceeds this. I've also 'duplicated' my carry ammo for practice; I usually carry the 135gn Federal 40 cal 'Personal Defense' round. I've loaded some 135gn solids to the same velocity to practice for A LOT cheaper. I have also reloaded 12 gauge bird loads; again, reliability isn't an issue (unless the birds start shooting back!)
Rifle ammo can be a little tricky, especially semi-auto ammo. I've loaded 223 with mixed results; brass quality and case prep have been the most daunting. I have a good friend who has a 6.5mm Swede Mauser which he's used to great success on wild piggies with my reloads. That round is either hard to find or on the expensive side for factory fodder.
Sorry if this response went a little long, but I wanted you to get a taste of the possibilities you're about to see. Just be careful; use published data, start low and work up, SAFETY FIRST!

Sam

I reload .45 shells with a 25 dollar Lee Reloader set and various hammers. I have lot's of time on my hands and don't shoot that often. I also clean the brass by hand. =-)
Yea, lots of time. ^_^

bwhunter65

I reload and I don't worry about what they say my intent is. If you shoot someone it is the intent to stop the threat so to me its a mute point. whats the difference if i shoot you with a 230 gr bullet and 4.5 grains of powder or 6 grains both do damage and dead is dead cant be anymore then dead. I think a good lawyer could turn that argument around. The main reason I load is cause its cheaper for me to shoot and with enough practice you can make reliable rounds. I trust factory rounds just a little better then mine so I stick to factory rounds.

smlawrence

Yea so far I only load for my .308. Speer Hot Core with 47gr of Rel15 putting me around 2900fps equaling meat in the freezer. A buddy of mine has a progressive setup for .40's so he helps me out but i still want to find the dyes for the .40 so I could play around a little with that load. I load some 357's & 38's to practice with my SP101 as well. I'm with you, I trust the factory load over the cheap ones we load for paper punching so I carry them. I too think a lawyer could get that worked out but just wanted to hear some opinions and ideas on it.

Northerner

Way off topic.....

Anybody every wash a round by mistake? It didn't go through the dryer. I found it in the pants pocket before loading into the dryer.
Lucky I guess. I could hear it know, plunk, plunk, plunk, pop-BANG!!!!:eek:

Why would it go throught the wash? Well, when I am out of the house I am Condition One. I will drop a round in the chamber and close the slide, leaving one in the pipe and a full mag.

Would you still use that round that went through a full wash cycle? :eek:

Probably know the answer, chuck it and check my pants next time. It's good for a laugh at least.

Last edited:

elixin77

I'm going to be starting to reload soon as well. my brass collection is dismal, but it should be expanding soon.

speaking of brass, i was sorting through all the brass i picked up at the range day, and I have a metric sht tonne of .40 S&W. Im thinking of picking up the dye to reload those, so would anyone be interested in purchasing some once-reloaded .40 S&W?

jag06

I reload .308 and .40. I have dies for .223 and .45 but I have not started to reload those two yet. Gun Rack usually has a good supply of powder, primers, and bullets, but for the reloading machines very few parts. Gander Mountain has a ok selection, not as good powder and bullet selection, but a better selection on dies and parts. The new Gun Vault on N Main in High Point does not have any reloading stuff, but they can order anything for you, I am getting ready to order some stuff through them.

M

mattwestm

I want to start reloading, but I really don't shoot a lot as it is. Most of my calibers are combloc surplus stuff anyways. If I did reload, I'd probably just do .45ACP since it's the most expensive caliber I own.

kdcyyz

I've been reloading for about 3 years now. So far I have only loaded .45 (lots of .45) on my Dillon 550B. I just got the dies and a quick change kit for 9mm. All I am missing is some bullets to load (this might end up being my Christmas gift to myself). Next after that... .223 then .308

smlawrence

I've been reloading for about 3 years now. So far I have only loaded .45 (lots of .45) on my Dillon 550B. I just got the dies and a quick change kit for 9mm. All I am missing is some bullets to load (this might end up being my Christmas gift to myself). Next after that... .223 then .308

When you get to the .308 be sure to try out my load listed above. I popped a deer Tuesday, he flipped head over heels, landed on his side and never moved from that spot. Shot got him right in the heart without messing up much meat. Fast kill without the chasing and searching.

OSOK

reloading

I hand load 308, .25-06 and .40 for myself. Was lucky to get the .40 dies off the shelf @ the gun rack in K'ville. Gander Mountain usally has .40 dies but you will pay 10-20 $$ more if you buy them there. If you can wait I'd get them from the Gun Rack. I would rather support local small business. just my .02

smlawrence

Yea I am waiting for Gun Rack to get them in. A buddy of mine has a progressive press setup for just .40's so I have that option. I just want to find a set of them for when I want to mess around, which isn't often right now with as busy as I stay. I got your message and maybe we can get together over lunch and discuss the loads. I can't be alot of help since I'm still a newbie but I am always wanting to learn from others experiences. If you still have my business card just give me a buzz sometime.

calynn

I reload .308 and .40 as well. Been using a Lee Breech Lock single stage press, but just started on the Lee Progressive 1000 this weekend, and after I get it dialed in it's going to be awesome. I load 125 gr Noslers with 47 gr of 748 for my deer rounds. 155 gr Ranier flatnose with 6.0 gr of Bullseye for the .40. Saves a little money, but it's much cheaper than therapy and probably more effective. :D

lonewolf2810

I currently am loading 40s&w, 9mm, and 30-06. It is an addicting hobby if you let it be but it is also relaxing to me. If I have to use deadly force with one of my reloads who cares as long as it does what you made it for and you and or you family is still alive to tell about it.

smlawrence

I reload .308 and .40 as well. Been using a Lee Breech Lock single stage press, but just started on the Lee Progressive 1000 this weekend, and after I get it dialed in it's going to be awesome. I load 125 gr Noslers with 47 gr of 748 for my deer rounds. 155 gr Ranier flatnose with 6.0 gr of Bullseye for the .40. Saves a little money, but it's much cheaper than therapy and probably more effective. :D

Have you put that .308 load through a chronograph?

calynn

Not yet (college budget)! but IIRC the book puts that load right at 3000fps. I just got some 165 grain Gamekings from Sierra that I'm gonna load up hopefully next weekend. Interested to see how they perform on deer!

smlawrence

Not yet (college budget)! but IIRC the book puts that load right at 3000fps. I just got some 165 grain Gamekings from Sierra that I'm gonna load up hopefully next weekend. Interested to see how they perform on deer!

Let me know.... From the oldtimers I talk to, they don't have much luck with any Sierra's opening up like they should. They say they go right through with minimal damage. This was the case for me once. The father-in-law had loaded some military rounds that he had pulled the bullet and put back Sierra's so I wouldn't need to worry with finding cases if up in a tree. I put 2 right through a Buck, and after 5 minutes of laying on the ground, he got up and ran. Found him 2 days later and the bullets just passed through him, same size diameter upon entry and exit. The Speer Hot Core about doubled in size from entry to exit and tore up a bunch between.