• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it necessary to reply to a LEO's request during a traffic stop?

cb5300

TFred's answer is correct.

It should be noted also, that the CHP info is only tied to your DL, not the vehicle registration.

Are you sure about this??? I have a friend who is a Roanoke Co. LEO and he showed me how when he ran my licence plate it popped up that I have a CHP....

Repeater

Not Queer. By design.

Any person who knowingly and willfully makes any materially false statement or representation to a law-enforcement officer or an animal control officer employed pursuant to § 3.2-6555 who is in the course of conducting an investigation of a crime by another is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.​

Now, that says the "investigation of a crime committed by another". Arguably it is not illegal to lie about a hypothetical crime being investigated on your own person.

Queer.

Lying to a Special Agent of the FBI who is investigating YOU is a crime. Because they're special.

Lying to a Virginia LEO who is investigating YOU is not.

See here:

HB 369 (2002)

Now, Delegate Cosgrove wanted to make it a crime, but the Conference Committee decided not to go that far.

Of course, this code section bears watching, because certain Law & Order types stilll want to make it a crime. See here.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Are you sure about this??? I have a friend who is a Roanoke Co. LEO and he showed me how when he ran my licence plate it popped up that I have a CHP....

Well, I suppose that they could have updated the technology since I last looked, its been a few years! :)

Last time I ever saw one run on the MDT, you had to run the tag first, then the DL of the RO, and then it showed up. I'll have to get a buddy to swing by and run mine. I'll be impressed if they updated that!

MadMaxZ06

Wow, great thread. Thanks.
I know it's easier to just comply with the LEO's request. But damn if it doesn't burn me that it's even being asked.
I know the "officer safety" argument, but his safety shouldn't allow him to ask things (and the law shouldn't require me to truthfully reply) that aren't germane. I don't understand how my making an improper left-turn has ANYTHING to do with whether I'm carrying!!! Again, I just don't think the officer safety argument much applies in this instance but maybe I'm bias :) LOL
- Max

Last edited:

NovaCop

Were in that paragraph does it say that it is illegal to lie to a LEO? Please cite code. There is no VA law that i know of that makes it illegal.

I'm not aware of any law stating it's illegal to lie to a LEO in VA. I recall an officer charging someone with an administrative code hinting to that effect a few weeks ago, but it was ultimately nolle prossed by the Commonwealth Attorney. I don't recall the code and was told it is almost unenforceable.

However, it is illegal to lie to a LEO about your personal information if you do it in a way to avoid an arrest (VA code 18.2-186.3). That is a common charge and is a class 1 misdemeanor.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I know it's easier to just comply with the LEO's request. But damn if it doesn't burn me that it's even being asked.
I know the "officer safety" argument, but his safety shouldn't allow him to ask things (and the law shouldn't require me to truthfully reply) that aren't germane. I don't understand how my making an improper left-turn has ANYTHING to do with whether I'm carrying!!! Again, I just don't think the officer safety argument much applies in this instance but maybe I'm bias :) LOL
- Max

Well, the officer safety issue (and your safety too) is always a concern.

Here's an example:

You are the officer. You observe someone making a simple illegal turn and you effect a traffic stop. The citizen who you stopped is normally a law abiding person. 2 weeks before, that citizen bounced a check at his local dry cleaners and the dry cleaner went and obtained a warrant for a bad check charge, unbeknowst to the citizen.

You run their info, and the warrant pops up. Now, you have to go and arrest the person. You tell the citizen that there is an outstanding warrant for his arrest and you have to take him in. He starts screaming and yelling about that damn dry cleaner.

Don't you as the officer want to know if there's a gun here somewhere, and don't you want to secure that gun before things get ugly? Its a simple matter of putting yourself in the other person's shoes. The fact is that the vast majority of officers appreciate when someone tells them about the gun ahead of time, and they quite often repay that by issuing a warning on a traffic stop, rather than an admission ticket to the General District Court.

What I always tell my students is that just like you, the officer just wants to go home at the end of the day to see his family. If you make the gun a big issue, it becomes the focus of the stop, not the traffic infraction. The other thing I tell people is this: Virginia doesnt require you to notify an officer that you are carrying. Your Virginia permit is valid in 28 other states, and some of those states DO require you to immediately tell the officer that you have a firearm and/or the law orders you to relinquish your firearm to the officer. Everything that we do physically with a gun is based on muscle memory, i.e. doing things the same way each time until it becomes second nature. Your interaction with LE should be handled the same way, and in a manner that covers you no matter what state you happen to be in.

All American Nightmare

§ 18.2-461 is as close as it comes - you can't lie to a law enforcement officer about the commission of any crime. That means that statements of fact which are false, stated for the purpose of informing the cop about crime or criminal activity. There is also a common law requirement that anyone about in the night time can be required to inform the cop as to his name and address, and it is a crime to lie about that. Of course, one must produce a CHP and specific gov't issued photo-id "upon demand" if one has a CHP. And if one is operating any kind of motorized conveyance, one must produce an operator's permit upon demand. Otherwise, no response is necessary, though I usually say, "no, thank you, officer.", or "Thank you, but I prefer not to.", followed by a generous smile and "Am I free to leave?".
What would the charge be for failing to provide name and address to a LEO?
I was under the impression that you only had to produce your chp and id on demand if you were cc. Did I read your post wrong?

NovaCop

What would the charge be for failing to provide name and address to a LEO?
I was under the impression that you only had to produce your chp and id on demand if you were cc. Did I read your post wrong?

There is no charge for not providing information (5th Amendment, you can always remain silent). However, if you are being charged with a crime, not providing your personal information will result in a trip to jail (magistrates office) because you cannot be released on a summons (most misdemeanors or traffic offense). VA law (like most states) requires you to produce a driver's license if operating an automobile and to hand over the CHP upon request.

Usually if someone remains silent and refuses to speak, most officers will take a photo of them in cases where they are suspected of committing a crime but not enough to charge.

Last edited:

NovaCop

Officer, I am comfortable (and safer) remaining seated in my car thank you. Am I free to go?

FYI- If you are stopped and you attempt to remain in your vehicle when told to step out by a LEO, that is a violation of law (obstruction 18.2-460). Powers given in PA v Mimms and I have seen people get ripped out of cars and found guilty for exactly what was mentioned above (during traffic stops for traffic offenses). Also, a LEO can order passengers out of a vehicle as well (MD v Wilson).

NovaCop

ProShooter-

When a LEO runs your vehicle tag in VA for a VA tag, it returns with the vehicle's information along with the registered owner's driver's license number. Most computers will then automatically run that driver's license number and return with the detailed information for the owner. That information includes name, d.o.b, address, social, driving record, height/weight, eyes/hair, and if the license is valid. It does not provide race or ethnicity.

Also, a separate box will pop up with a warning tone stating you have a CHP (if you do) or if you are wanted/missing person/sex offender/gang member. I always thought it was weird to have a warning tone as if someone was wanted if they legally have a CHP (thus confirming they have a clean criminal history).

On a side note, when you run an out of state tag, the return comes back formatted for that state. Some states provide a lot of detailed information, while others don't. I can recall some states indicating the person has a CCW/CHP, but I can't recall those states.

Last edited:

All American Nightmare

- Max
I once heard a LEO say If you flex your rights expect to be arrested for it. now thats pretty damm sad in my eyes. Leos can ask anything they want just as you can ask a leo anything you want. There is no law that makes you answer the question. If you feel the question has no bearing on the matter answer with a question. Which way were you heading? The same way you were office. The only power they have is threat of arrest to get the answers they want. If that fear is not a factor to you then they have no edge.
The officer saftey arguement has everything to with a traffic stop. I might be wrong on this but I belive a leo can do a limited search (wingspan) of the car under officer safety as well as taking the gun. While I do not have a great understanding of the law that some do on this site. I have a very good understanding of the practical application of the law through many bad encounters with leos do to the fact that I will not bow down on command.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
I do not recognize the authority of the FBI as existing lawfully under the Constitution.

It doesn't have to be lawful (and you're right, the police power has been delegated exclusively to the states) under the Constitution, because they've got the power. And you may recall what Chairman Mao said, "power is a flower that blossoms from the muzzle of a gun." Their guns are bigger, and they'll come in at 2 am and shoot your dog. Remember Waco, remember Ruby Ridge. Oh, and by the way, there's a Virginia statute that says that FBI agents are "law enforcement officers" in Virginia.