Thread: Another question about carrying a knife.

Another question about carrying a knife.

Ok, let me try and get this out without confusing anyone! :-D

I live in Iowa and have an Iowa Non-professional permit to carry weapons. Which per the terminology of the permit, allows me to carry a normally "Illegal" knife.

My permit also allows me to carry in Michigan. The michigan rules, if I remember correctly, state that I must carry per the terms of my Iowa permit.

That said, since my Iowa permit allows me to carry a knife in Iowa, can I legally carry it in Michigan?

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    Ok, let me try and get this out without confusing anyone! :-D

I live in Iowa and have an Iowa Non-professional permit to carry weapons. Which per the terminology of the permit, allows me to carry a normally "Illegal" knife.

My permit also allows me to carry in Michigan. The michigan rules, if I remember correctly, state that I must carry per the terms of my Iowa permit.

That said, since my Iowa permit allows me to carry a knife in Iowa, can I legally carry it in Michigan?
    No. The reciprocity allows you to use your permit to carry a pistol under the terms of a Michigan concealed pistol license. It does not grant you any additional liberties such as the carrying of other weaons. You must abide by Michigan conditions. An example of this would be the prohibition against carrying in schools or entertainment facilities. Iowa may allow you to, but you cannot bring an Iowa permit to Michigan, carry in Michigan schools/entertainment facilities and claim that you are allowed to because your home state allows you to.
    Last edited by warrior1978; 11-23-2010 at 09:05 AM.

Carrying knives over 3" (or is it 3.5"?) concealed in MI is unlawful, CCW, CPL, or none.

Furthermore, knives are not covered by preemption so you may run into a city with stricter rules!

Michigan does not recognize knive privileges conveyed upon you by another state.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Carrying knives over 3" (or is it 3.5"?) concealed in MI is unlawful, CCW, CPL, or none.

Furthermore, knives are not covered by preemption so you may run into a city with stricter rules!

Michigan does not recognize knive privileges conveyed upon you by another state.
    No, no...the 3" rule only applies with "unlawful intent". Other than that, you are correct. City ordinances are the applying rule with pertinence to any length restrictions. You can legally carry a machete, or other long knife, IN THE OPEN; if there is no ordinance against it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior1978 View Post
    No. The reciprocity allows you to use your permit to carry a pistol under the terms of a Michigan concealed pistol license. It does not grant you any additional liberties such as the carrying of other weaons. You must abide by Michigan conditions. An example of this would be the prohibition against carrying in schools or entertainment facilities. Iowa may allow you to, but you cannot bring an Iowa permit to Michigan, carry in Michigan schools/entertainment facilities and claim that you are allowed to because your home state allows you to.
    Could he carry a pistol openly in a pistol free zone?

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Could he carry a pistol openly in a pistol free zone?
    Yes. Tucker6900 used to be resident in MI, but moved to Iowa (he is resident there). We will be able to carry there starting January 1, 2011

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor;
    penalty.
    Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
    (a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
    (b) A church or other house of religious worship.
    (c) A court.
    (d) A theatre.
    (e) A sports arena.
    (f) A day care center.
    (g) A hospital.
    (h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of
    1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
    (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
    (a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that
    firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
    (b) A peace officer.
    (c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
    (d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the
    permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
    (3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or
    a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
    History: Add. 1990, Act 321, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991;—Am. 1992, Act 218, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992;—Am. 1994, Act 158, Eff. Aug. 15, 1994.

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to sub-
    section (1); violation; penalties.
    Sec. 5o. (1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from
    licensure under section 12a(1)(f)
    , shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:
    Last edited by DrTodd; 11-24-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Yes. Tucker6900 used to be resident in MI, but moved to Iowa (he is resident there). We will be able to carry there starting January 1, 2011

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor;
    penalty.
    Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
    (a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
    (b) A church or other house of religious worship.
    (c) A court.
    (d) A theatre.
    (e) A sports arena.
    (f) A day care center.
    (g) A hospital.
    (h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of
    1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
    (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
    (a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that
    firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
    (b) A peace officer.
    (c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
    (d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the
    permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
    (3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or
    a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
    History: Add. 1990, Act 321, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991;—Am. 1992, Act 218, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992;—Am. 1994, Act 158, Eff. Aug. 15, 1994.

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to sub-
    section (1); violation; penalties.
    Sec. 5o. (1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from
    licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:
    you beet me to it AGAIN! good job!
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    you beet me to it AGAIN! good job!
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Thanks for the info fellas!

Just FYI, I Oc'd this holiday weekend throughout the lansing area without so much as a second glance. The hard work put in by the Michigan OC members is paying off! Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Tucker6900; 11-29-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    Thanks for the info fellas!

Just FYI, I Oc'd this holiday weekend throughout the lansing area without so much as a second glance. The hard work put in by the Michigan OC members is paying off! Keep up the good work!

we do what we can! thank you for saying thank you!
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!