• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another question about carrying a knife.

Tucker6900

Ok, let me try and get this out without confusing anyone! :-D

I live in Iowa and have an Iowa Non-professional permit to carry weapons. Which per the terminology of the permit, allows me to carry a normally "Illegal" knife.

My permit also allows me to carry in Michigan. The michigan rules, if I remember correctly, state that I must carry per the terms of my Iowa permit.

That said, since my Iowa permit allows me to carry a knife in Iowa, can I legally carry it in Michigan?

warrior1978

Ok, let me try and get this out without confusing anyone! :-D

I live in Iowa and have an Iowa Non-professional permit to carry weapons. Which per the terminology of the permit, allows me to carry a normally "Illegal" knife.

My permit also allows me to carry in Michigan. The michigan rules, if I remember correctly, state that I must carry per the terms of my Iowa permit.

That said, since my Iowa permit allows me to carry a knife in Iowa, can I legally carry it in Michigan?

No. The reciprocity allows you to use your permit to carry a pistol under the terms of a Michigan concealed pistol license. It does not grant you any additional liberties such as the carrying of other weaons. You must abide by Michigan conditions. An example of this would be the prohibition against carrying in schools or entertainment facilities. Iowa may allow you to, but you cannot bring an Iowa permit to Michigan, carry in Michigan schools/entertainment facilities and claim that you are allowed to because your home state allows you to.

Last edited:

TheQ

Carrying knives over 3" (or is it 3.5"?) concealed in MI is unlawful, CCW, CPL, or none.

Furthermore, knives are not covered by preemption so you may run into a city with stricter rules!

Michigan does not recognize knive privileges conveyed upon you by another state.

WARCHILD

Carrying knives over 3" (or is it 3.5"?) concealed in MI is unlawful, CCW, CPL, or none.

Furthermore, knives are not covered by preemption so you may run into a city with stricter rules!

Michigan does not recognize knive privileges conveyed upon you by another state.

No, no...the 3" rule only applies with "unlawful intent". Other than that, you are correct. City ordinances are the applying rule with pertinence to any length restrictions. You can legally carry a machete, or other long knife, IN THE OPEN; if there is no ordinance against it.

stainless1911

Banned
No. The reciprocity allows you to use your permit to carry a pistol under the terms of a Michigan concealed pistol license. It does not grant you any additional liberties such as the carrying of other weaons. You must abide by Michigan conditions. An example of this would be the prohibition against carrying in schools or entertainment facilities. Iowa may allow you to, but you cannot bring an Iowa permit to Michigan, carry in Michigan schools/entertainment facilities and claim that you are allowed to because your home state allows you to.

Could he carry a pistol openly in a pistol free zone?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Could he carry a pistol openly in a pistol free zone?

Yes. Tucker6900 used to be resident in MI, but moved to Iowa (he is resident there). We will be able to carry there starting January 1, 2011 :)

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor;
penalty.
Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
(b) A church or other house of religious worship.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of
1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that
firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
(b) A peace officer.
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the
permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or
a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
History: Add. 1990, Act 321, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991;—Am. 1992, Act 218, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992;—Am. 1994, Act 158, Eff. Aug. 15, 1994.

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to sub-
section (1); violation; penalties.
Sec. 5o. (1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from
licensure under section 12a(1)(f)
, shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

Yes. Tucker6900 used to be resident in MI, but moved to Iowa (he is resident there). We will be able to carry there starting January 1, 2011 :)

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor;
penalty.
Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
(b) A church or other house of religious worship.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of
1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that
firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
(b) A peace officer.
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the
permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or
a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
History: Add. 1990, Act 321, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991;—Am. 1992, Act 218, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992;—Am. 1994, Act 158, Eff. Aug. 15, 1994.

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to sub-
section (1); violation; penalties.
Sec. 5o. (1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from
licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

you beet me to it AGAIN! good job!

Tucker6900

Thanks for the info fellas!

Just FYI, I Oc'd this holiday weekend throughout the lansing area without so much as a second glance. The hard work put in by the Michigan OC members is paying off! Keep up the good work!

Last edited: