• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Rifle Ranges in Seattle area...

amlevin

You can shoot at the Kenmore range to 100 yards. Every day from 12 - Dusk. About $12. Only single shot though. Only one round at a time allowed to be loaded.

For rapid fire and "ripping off a whole mag" you may have to resort to finding an open space on public land. Not a good time right now with all the snow.

BTW, Kenmore is closed Thanksgiving, even to members.

oldkim

What do you want to do?

Are you looking at long range? 100, 200, 300, 600 yards?

Pretty easy if memory serves me right.

Kenmore up to 100
Renton Fish and Game up to 200
Cascade (member only but up to 600 yards)
Joint Base Lewis McChord up to 300
Tacoma Sportsman 300?
Paul Bunyon up to 600 (call ahead)
Plantation up to 300?
Marysville (member only)

Rapid fire? Head up into the hills

As previously mentioned: all these ranges (except JBLM is one round at a time). Remember these are sighting in ranges for marksmanship accuracy. Not kill all the zombies in the EOW scenarios like Rambo. Please read the rules for each range as they differ.

Yes there are other ranges too (this is not a complete list).

Last edited:

Tawnos

Are you looking at long range? 100, 200, 300, 600 yards?

Pretty easy if memory serves me right.

Kenmore up to 100
Renton Fish and Game up to 200
Cascade (member only but up to 600 yards)
Joint Base Lewis McChord up to 300
Tacoma Sportsman 300?
Paul Bunyon up to 600 (call ahead)
Plantation up to 300?
Marysville (member only)

Rapid fire? Head up into the hills

As previously mentioned: all these ranges (except JBLM is one round at a time). Remember these are sighting in ranges for marksmanship accuracy. Not kill all the zombies in the EOW scenarios like Rambo. Please read the rules for each range as they differ.

Yes there are other ranges too (this is not a complete list).

Cascade doesn't have that (stupid, arbitrarily enforced) rule, either:
QUESTION: I would like to know the rules regarding magazine capacity limits (pistol and rifle), drawing from the holster, and shooting multi-shot strings (what some ranges call "rapid fire").
ANSWER: We have no specific prohibitions about magazine capacities, or loading full magazines. We have no specific prohibitions against drawing from a holster or rapid fire strings at approved targets

amlevin

I was aware of the rapid fire rules at most places. I was looking for as long as I could reasonably get. I want to shoot between 200-300 for now, but may expand later.While I don't really want to "kill all zombies", I would like to shoot more than one at a time. I don't really want to reload after each shot. I typically shoot three at a time, but even then, I load my clips fully.

Kenmore doesn't allow more than ONE round in the mag. Insurance company's and lawyers, you know.

Plantation, just south of bellingham does allow a full mag load but shots have to be spaced. Start shooting more than one every 5 seconds or so and "the voice of God" aka the rangemaster on the PA will remind you sternly.

Plantation has ranges from 50 yards to 300 yards. They don't have any "Cease Fires" there. You shoot and then have to use your spotting scope (they rent if you don't have) to mark your hits on a small pad that is a replica of your target. The only time they cease fire is if all the targets that are set out are too full of holes to see individual hits. They charge you $1 for each target you shoot at. A little strange but the day goes quickly with no interruptions in the shooting. FWIW, don't OC there, the rangemaster can be a real A-**** about it. CC is OK.

Last edited:

oldkim

Best range for you...

Sigfan,

The best range for you would be Joint Base Lewis McChord. Just use the East Gate (non secured side of the base).

Last I checked it was open to civilian use. Get there early since they are only open during weekends. Keep all firearms unloaded and seperate (it's best to have an ammo box). You are on Federal land (base/post) but it's recreational use of the bases.

The advantage of this range is that you can shoot from all positions. They have benches but you can shoot prone, standing, sitting, kneeling and of course use the benches. You can also fire away pretty fast within reason. It's not close to machine gun fire but you can shoot 1 per second if you can control your aim.

Fee's have gone up. Do not go through the main gates of the post/base. Use the East Gate.

http://www.jblmmwr.com/skeetnpistol.htm

In the map on the site you'll be using the back side of East Gate from Spanaway/Parkland to Roy

Rifle 50, 100, 200, 300 plus 300 meter gong
Pistol 10, 15 meters

FYI: the official secured gate is just to the left where you see East Gate Road on their map.

One of the reasons they are more flexible with how fast you can fire is that unlike other civilian ranges - this range has 5 miles of no man's land for the backstop.

Update: just got off the phone with MWR - the range is open only on Saturday and Sunday 10-4pm and is open to civilian use (as long as you don't enter the base/post).

Last edited: