• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ID requirements

IYAOYAS

It was my understanding that California didn't have a requirement for you to carry an ID on your person unless driving. But yesterday San Diego's finest stopped me in the La Jolla Mall and told me that I was required to carry ID while UOC'ing. So my question is did I miss something? Plus they apparently have two private schools in that mall FYI

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
What Mike said. They are definitely wrong. The only laws still on the books that you need to be concerned with when it comes to identifying yourself is the one that says you need to produce ID if you are driving and stopped for a driving infraction and the law that says you cannot give a fake name to a police officer. Feel free to give nothing to them or to stare at them silently or to beg them to arrest you for not having an ID.

Ayatollah's question is pertinent because only schools teaching kindergarten to 12th grade count. If there is a kindergarten at a mall then that's the first time I've heard of such a thing. They probably have preschools at the mall, and those do not count.

IYAOYAS

They had a pre-k school and a charter high school according to them on the mall property. I didn't have ID on me plus this was my first time getting stopped so I played along with them and gave my name and what not they were pretty chill about the whole thing so we left and went to another mall and no one even seemed to notice the gun. I will keep the quoting of the code in mind for the next interaction which at the rate I carry should be soon.

CenTex

I would certainly check out whether or not there was a charter school on the property. They may have told you this just to get you off the property. I would accept what they told you, unless you can prove otherwise. Remember, this has to be a k-12 school.

Last edited:

JJ

It was my understanding that California didn't have a requirement for you to carry an ID on your person unless driving. But yesterday San Diego's finest stopped me in the La Jolla Mall and told me that I was required to carry ID while UOC'ing. So my question is did I miss something? Plus they apparently have two private schools in that mall FYI

I'm sure you have all this recorded???

hgreen

I'm sure you have all this recorded???

Can we have a BIG STICKY thread that says

IF YOU DO:

- NOT KNOW THE LAW
- NOT HAVE A RECORDING DEVICE

THEN DO NOT OC.

If you must still OC, then do it with people that meet the above requirements.

Its really a drain to have to always rehash the same points on a weekly basis on here and see individuals get their rights trampled.

JJ

IF YOU DO:

- NOT KNOW THE LAW

THEN DO NOT OC.

Its really a drain to have to always rehash the same points on a weekly basis on here and see individuals get their rights trampled.

+1

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

IF YOU DO:

- NOT KNOW THE LAW

THEN DO NOT OC.

Uhm-- the thread appears in my sig line and appears here----->http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...d-Suggestions-from-those-who-have-been-there.

But it isnt stickied.

I dont think its a matter of not having enough information or even having it stickied- I think people arent very thorough about doing their homework before participating in some challenging activities and the results are sometimes proportionate to their preparation. Unfortunately, being ill-prepared can land you in jail.

Last edited:

Firemark

But yesterday San Diego's finest stopped me in the La Jolla Mall and told me that I was required to carry ID while UOC'ing. So my question is did I miss something? Plus they apparently have two private schools in that mall FYI

ID not required, for sure they are lying to you, or they dont know the penal code. Also which La Jolla Mall?? please post a map and address and identify what private schools they are refering to please. Is this UTC or downtown La Jolla by the cove?

IYAOYAS

Ok I did have a recorder with me the only downfall is I bought a clip on mic from radio shack that apparently cant pick up the sound of human voices. Im taking tht back obviously so my recording is useless. I have done the research but in my experience from the USMC and FireFighting there is a big difference between learned knowledge and activity knowledge. Now that the activity knowledge has been achieved were better off.
It was the UTC mall I have still yet to verify the charter school tht is suppose to be there, I spent the day walking around Oceanside the cops didn't seem to notice the gun today.

hgreen

Good to hear things are better now, but learning from having rights trampled is not really an ideal learning model.

For others it would be much better to gain the experience knowledge from OCing in a group of OC veterans.

IYAOYAS

A group would be great but I don't know anyone out here in a group or when events are If there is anything in oceanside I would love to join in. But I've been OC since I got back from SC last month and I can't always have a group around me lol

619P95

One other thing Do not J-walk that is a motor Vehicle Infraction and would require you to provide ID. To my knowledge that is the Only thing that could require you to show ID

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21955.htm

V C Section 21955 Crossing Between Controlled Intersections
Crossing Between Controlled Intersections

21955. Between adjacent intersections controlled by traffic control signal devices or by police officers, pedestrians shall not cross the roadway at any place except in a crosswalk.

JJ

Or.....

Spit on the sidewalk, litter, etc.

One other thing Do not J-walk that is a motor Vehicle Infraction and would require you to provide ID. To my knowledge that is the Only thing that could require you to show ID

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21955.htm

V C Section 21955 Crossing Between Controlled Intersections
Crossing Between Controlled Intersections

21955. Between adjacent intersections controlled by traffic control signal devices or by police officers, pedestrians shall not cross the roadway at any place except in a crosswalk.

AyatollahGondola

Uhm-- the thread appears in my sig line and appears here----->http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...d-Suggestions-from-those-who-have-been-there.

But it isnt stickied.

I dont think its a matter of not having enough information or even having it stickied- I think people arent very thorough about doing their homework before participating in some challenging activities and the results are sometimes proportionate to their preparation. Unfortunately, being ill-prepared can land you in jail.

Even an old pro can fail to capture the moment. Things happen too quickly; the battery fails; You think you heard the machine turn on, but nooooo....
My thinking is that if the man is out to get you, the recorded media is going to disappear. I'm hoping the man is not out to get me